Thread: MVA Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MVA Question

I am trying to figure out how many other departments have had this type of MVA occure in their juristiction.
    Last week my department did a MVA on the highway in which a tire assembly broke free from the axle of a small construction trailer. The wheel bounced up the north bound lanes (hit no one) and then bounced over the Concrete divider and smashed into the windsheld of a big rig traveling southbound. It looked like it impacted right where the roof and the windshield meets and kept moving into the big rig. The tire was found inside the rig in the sleeper compartment driver in serious condition passenger stable.

What is interesting is that this happend once before about 8 months ago when a tire and rim came off a car going north bound and bounced into south bound lanes and struck a city bus unfortunitly killing the driver.

When it happened 8 months ago I thought WOW what a fluke I probably will not see that happen again but was I wrong. Does this happen often in other departments.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Haven't seen that around here.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I've only seen what you describe once, but the circumstances were significantly different. We were on an army road move, and an Armoured Vehicle General Purpose (Cougar) was doing a fording operation, and they were too far to one side. We all knew that on the north side of the ford, there was a huge boulder under water... well they got "reminded" of it, when they struck it with enough force to tear the front steering gear, axel and A-frame right off the vehicle. Was kinda funny watching the entire wheel assembly floating down the river. Especially when as they pulled out of the river, the Cougar just kinda leaned over to the one side.

On the civilian side, the closest I know of to what you describe was a very chronic problem in Ontario a few years ago, with semi trucks in particular. Ontario allows for more than 5 axels on a tractor/trailer rig - the trailer being allowed to have up to three axels. What was happening is the outside wheel on the rearmost axel was tearing itself off and had a real nasty habit of driving over other cars. The reason for the wheel coming off was that the forces exerted on the wheel nuts and hub assemblies was so much due to turns, that it was shearing the bolts off, and of course the wheel goes with them. This was fixed by building a retaining system into the wheel hub so that even if the studs sheared off, the wheel would still be held in place so the truck could be safely driven off the road without causing an incident.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

We have that problem with deer going through the windshield. Last one hit driver (she was bruised and cut from the glass) and landed face down in the passenger side floorboard. Deer was DOA.

Shayne
    "Being talked to death is a terrible way to die"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Happened Here......

I've seen this type of thing twice in about ten years. Unusual, but it happens. Somewhat different, but also a lot worse was a crash on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge a few months ago. A small utility trailer came loose from a SUV, and caused a chain reaction pileup. A Father and Son, on their way home from work, were killed. Both were very active members of a small VFD on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The Family, VFD, and the Community at large are still struggling to recover.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodeBlueEMT View Post
    We have that problem with deer going through the windshield. Last one hit driver (she was bruised and cut from the glass) and landed face down in the passenger side floorboard. Deer was DOA.

Shayne
    Had this happen right in front of my school this past year.

Van hit a buck, the head went through the windshield and got stuck while the rest of the body was on the hood. The buck was thrashing around inside the car and messed the driver up pretty bad from what I heard. I was in swim practice, but if i would have gone at normal time to school it would have been right in front of me.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

there was a incident here in CO, north of Denver, where a tractor trailer's wheel (I assume an outer one on the duallys?) came loose and struck an unfortunate (a definite understatement!) State Trooper or local PD who had pulled someone over for some infraction. The trooper was killed...I'm not sure if it was on the scene or later, but what are the odds?
    This was a few years ago...

Banned

We have had deer, and rocks thrown from over passes in this area going through windshilds. However, my dad had a dumptruck where the left rear set of duals came off. It bounced down the road narrowly missing a couple of pedestrians and finally slamming a hole into a house.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Can't say that I've seen one of those. After a few years MVCs just run together.

Now I can honestly say that I've been to a grass fire on the Interstate that was caused by a boat.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Had a rear tire and axle come off an old jeep we were pulling down the highway on a hunting trip. Tire (and axle) rolled across the highway and ended up in a person's front porch. I was pretty young, and I do not remember what had failed to cause the release.

The resulting metal on concrete drag from the rear axle housing sparked off a nice little grease fire from the bearings, and 2 liters of Sprite work well in those cases as an extingiuishing agent. Just a childhood memory I had to relive, sorry.

Forum Member

Haven't responded to one.....had plenty of vehicles throw tires though.......

I did, however,while travelling on vacation, arrive on scene minutes after an MVA where a semi threw a rim and tire, the tire bounced across the meridian and hit the front of a Winnabago, driver was DOA...the impact and damage was quite incredible.
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Never responded on one but it's happened to me... tire installer over-tightened the lugnuts on the front right wheel. Middle of Idaho doing about 80 in the left lane passing a car the entire wheel broke free and the tire went bouncing off into a field. I can imagine the driver I was passing probably ****ed himself! I was able to skid along on the disc brake until I was able to get slowed down enough to safely pull over. I was 16 at the time and my mom who was in the passenger seat nearly collapsed from fright when we got stopped!

Forum Member

I've responded twice to a call such as this in about 3 and a half years of service. One was a car was traveling northbound and the tire came sheared off and went through the windshield of a SUV traveling southbound and out the back window, and amazingly the tire didn't even graze any of the 4 occupants. 3 out of 4 occupants did have some glass injuries although. On the second call the tire just put a heck of a dent in another vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

While I've never actually witnessed such an event, my Dad who is a long haul trucker (45 plus years) had a friend he drove with many years ago who did.

Story goes that "Fred" was driving up the 401 out of Vancouver enroute to points east and was somewhere IVO Chilliwack on a wonderful summer's day. Anyhow at one point he notices this big tire go screeming past him (he was in the shoulder lane) on the left, hop through the median and into the opposite traffic, whereupon it rolled over two cars before finally coming to a stop.

So being the good guy he is, he pulls over, and offers assistance till the cops and everyone else come out to play. He makes a "witness statement" to the cops and in so doing notices that the tire looks a lot like the type he is using on the trailer (see where this is going? LOL)

He mentions to the Trooper that this tire is about the same as his and if they dont need it, would it be ok to keep it. Trooper say "Sure." So Fred and the Trooper load it into the back of the trailer (which is empty at this point), and Fred decides that since he's stopped might as well "kick the tires".

..... Ooooppssss..... turns out the errant tire ACTUALLY WAS HIS. The nuts sheared off for some reason. Of course no mention of this was made to the Troopers on scene.

True story.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I remember something like this happening, but it was a good many years ago.

Forum Member

Had a similar. Bronco II going west bound, compact honda going east bound. Bronco II looses driver's front tire, wheel, axle shaft. Compact honda takes brunt of said detatched assembly. Bronco II driver and passenger ok, just a bit shooken up. Driver of compact honda ok, till he saw his car on fire from the tire hitting the front end and blowing some fuel lines...nobody hurt, except the report writer's head as to the descriptions he had to use and make sound professional.
    This we do so others may live

Thread Information