Forum Member

Default Physical Exam Coming up... But I have a question

Hello,

If all goes well with the Psych exam I recently took, I will be scheduled for a medical exam sometime in about 2 weeks from now.

Here's my question: I am going on a trip this week, and will be gone for a week... Coming back a few days before this projected medical exam. During past years on this trip we tend to have a good time, stay up late, barbeque, and drink some beers, quite a few.. Nothing irresponsible or illegal, but this is the one time of the year I kick back and have a good time.

Knowing this, and having somewhat of an idea of what is in the medical exam:
    Blood draw, chest x-ray, back examination, stress test, drug-screen, eye exam, etc.

Do I have anything to worry about if I do drink around 20 to 30 beers during this trip?

I appreciate any help or advise you have to offer!

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Well I dont have a exact answer to your question, but maybe some advice.....

Yes it sounds like a traditional once a year trip, but why put a potential career in jepordy by not laying off the normal extra curricular activities during your trip?

If it was me I wouldnt risk it! Instead of drinking like a fish and staying up all night, why dont you go where ever your going, take the time to relax and get your mind straight on what you have to do in order to get your self in that career dept.

If you were not worried about it you wouldnt have posted this question, so I think you already know the answer......

But hell what do I know...........

Good luck bro........

Forum Member

If you're asking if you'll still have alcohol in your system a week later the answer is no.

As for how it affects your physical, any strenuous vacation -- with or without drinking -- is going to leave you tired if that level of activity is unusual for you but it shouldn't do any more than that.

20 or 30 beers over the course of a week? That doesn't even qualify as a blip on the radar...

Go on vacation. Have fun. Just don't wear yourself out.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Job or Beer?

Become a Firefighter or Beer? Become a Firefighter or Beer? Become a Firefighter or Beer? Become a Firefighter or Beer? Become a Firefighter or Beer?

The alcohol isn't going to affect your exam but it sounds like it's already mentally affecting you. This is the job of a lifetime and if you can't go on a trip and cut back on the drinking a little then you'll know where your priorities are at.

Have fun, but remember things like this only come so often and beer is something you can get anyday you want.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be more concerned about your background investigation. Consuming 30 beers in a week is an extremely high amount. This will be a red flag to a BI.

One of the trends with entry level candidates is heavy alcohol usuage. This certainly qualifies.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're that concerned about it, just lay off the beers for a week and stick to lemonade or something. Do you NEED to drink? Unless you're an alcoholic, the answer should be no.

Permanently Removed

I cant believe the caliber of today's canidates. Debating out loud about partying hard right before a once in a life time chance for the dream job.

Dude- Wake up. Just play it cool this trip and no worry about getting so wasted this time.

Forum Member

Thanks for your responses. I don't plan to get wasted during this trip. I didn't think drinking 20 beers throughout a weeks time (ON VACATION) made me a bad candidate for a job. However I will take your feedback into account.

Forum Member

20 or 30 beers over a week's vacation isn't going to affect your test. Good luck and let us know how things work out!

Forum Member

30 beers divided by 7 days= 4.5 beers a day.
    During warm weather, on vacation.
    Jesus guys, lighten up a bit.
    Only possible prob is the dehydration +alcohol may slightly scew your liver enzymes, which is part of a standard physical. Just make sure t ohydrate, and avoid Ibuprophen.

You have a full year of saying "sir,yessir" and mopping floors ahead of you.

Go have fun.

Permanently Removed

I guess its just me, but getting a shot at the dream job over hundreds of other people to me means keeping my nose clean and heas striaght.

YES, please have fun. But goofing off right before the next big step to me is a rad flag. I am not being some "Safety Ranger" here, but I just dont gamble with my career and future over a week of partying.

Again, if you have to come in here and ask, then its a concern to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I guess its just me, but getting a shot at the dream job over hundreds of other people to me means keeping my nose clean and heas striaght.
    Yes, it's just you. The OP hasn't proposed doing anything that would endanger "keeping his nose clean" or his "head straight".

YES, please have fun. But goofing off right before the next big step to me is a rad flag.
    "Goofing off"? He's just going on mid-summer vacation a few days before his physical -- lighten up!

....I just dont gamble with my career and future over a week of partying.
    Since when did going on vacation and having 20-30 beers over the course of a week a few days before a physical become "a week of partying"? (I'm guessing here but, you don't drink, do you?)

20-30 beers over a weekend with a physical first thing Monday morning might be an issue. This isn't. The guy's going for a FD physical -- not applying for sainthood!

Forum Member

This thread is too funny. I guess I should be referred to EAP, suspended, and possibly jailed. I mean, I confess, I actually enjoy a couple of beers a day with dinner, and sometimes, I even live dangerous and might have three or four. Weekends after working on the house all day, I might knock down a six pack , time for an intervention . I won't even go into the amount of beer, sweet beer(Homer Simpson) that I drank on vacation with my Brother in Florida for a week, some here might have me institutionalized. Go on vacation, have a great time, and don't over do it, you'll be fine.

Now my disclaimer, I am already on the job. Be very careful, and use your head. I have seen more than a few candidates ruin their chances of getting on because of questionable judgement while going through the hiring process.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Yes, it's just you. The OP hasn't proposed doing anything that would endanger "keeping his nose clean" or his "head straight".

"Goofing off"? He's just going on mid-summer vacation a few days before his physical -- lighten up!

Since when did going on vacation and having 20-30 beers over the course of a week a few days before a physical become "a week of partying"? (I'm guessing here but, you don't drink, do you?)

20-30 beers over a weekend with a physical first thing Monday morning might be an issue. This isn't. The guy's going for a FD physical -- not applying for sainthood!
    DM- Are you a full-time FF? I just addressed the issue with him. He asked fro opinions and I gave mine.

I worked extremely hard to get where I am in the fire service. If it wasnt a concern to him, then he wouldnt have brought it up in the first place.

I never used the word "saint", its just a small gamble to me.

Forum Member

DM- Are you a full-time FF?
    25 years on the job. What's your point?

He didn't propose doing anything foolish that would affect his physical in the least. You overreacted to what he asked. He asked an honest question, IMHO you supplied an unrealistc answer.

Forum Member

Is there going to be a psych as part of the medical?

Forum Member

why risk it?

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    25 years on the job. What's your point?

He didn't propose doing anything foolish that would affect his physical in the least. You overreacted to what he asked. He asked an honest question, IMHO you supplied an unrealistc answer.

I didnt over react, I gave my opinion. 25 years on the job...Maybe you forgot how hard it is to get a career in the fire service. Today, its a long hard road and to finally get to the point of almost getting hired, its hard to justify blowing it over a week or beer and partying.

Save the party and beer for after the academy and probation. A one shot at the chance of a lifetime can wait on a annual party.

Again, for me, its priorities.

Forum Member

Default Have fun

As this Background Investigator says...Have fun but be careful. I know Firefighter's who drink that much while laying concrete. Just remember...do it in moderation and spread it out over the seven days and you'll be fine.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information