MembersZone Subscriber

Question Volunteer Rescue Company

I'm looking for information from other vol. departments on how they set up there rescue companies. My department is split up into engine, truck and rescue comapnies and the rescue company I am assigned to is looing to recomend minimum requirements for assignment to the town's 2 rescues. Our feeling is that with the fireground and rescue scene roles that we are asked to undertake we should have a set of mandatory standards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what yu mean by "Rescue" company. Are you talking about ambulances or Heavy Rescues / rescue engine (auto extrication).

You are fortunate as a volunteer to have enough personnel to be assigned to a specific company. We man the apparatus depending on what is needed and when we arrive at the station. The requirements are FFI and knowledge of the individual piece of apparatus (equipment location etc.) to be able to ride any fire apparatus. The ambulances are required to have an EMT-B, and a driver with EVOC. People can also ride as an Aid with CPR and BBP and a knowledge of where the equipment is located.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry about that, thinking too northeast. For us a rescue company is a heavy rescue company. We are responsible for all technical rescue, RIT, extrications, water emergencies, etc.

We are both lucky and unlucky in respects to the amount of volunteers we have. Right now we have over 12o volunteers among 6 engine companies, 2 trucks and 2 heavy rescues, we also have an EMS division that accounts for a number of the members. Unfortunattle these members are on the books not all active.

Forum Member

Well, some of the heavy rescues my way, require things like vehicle rescue certification to at least the basic level. Rope rescue is heavily encouraged, but personally I think should be mandatory if you are on the Rescue.

Essentially, I'd say look at what the majority of your rescues will probably be, and also at what things are likely to happen at some point, and make those certifications mandatory. Then you can set the minimum to ride the Rescue as like, 5 years int he department (just an example), RIT certified, Vehicle Rescue certified, Ropes certified (to whatever level you guys would have), Swift Water, Dive/Water rescue, etc etc. What good is a rescue company, that isn't certified in rescue operations?

Forum Member

These guys might be able to help.

http://www.hokerescue.org/hokerescue.htm
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by bova41 View Post
    I'm looking for information from other vol. departments on how they set up there rescue companies. My department is split up into engine, truck and rescue comapnies and the rescue company I am assigned to is looing to recomend minimum requirements for assignment to the town's 2 rescues. Our feeling is that with the fireground and rescue scene roles that we are asked to undertake we should have a set of mandatory standards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    One suggestion would be to look at what responses your rescue company is responsible for, and the equipment carried. For example, I know of a couple of departments who's heavy squads only carry tools for vehicle rescue and firefighting, and do not get into the technical rescue thing. Then there are other squads out there that carry everything but the kitchen sink, and are responsible for firefighting, technical rescue, etc.

Some certifications that I would like firefighters assigned to a heavy squad that handles everything would to have be; Firefighter II, EMT-B, HAZMAT OPS, Advanced Vehicle Rescue, Rope Rescue III, Confined Space, Trench Rescue, RIT, Water Rescue, Collapse Rescue. On top of that, I'd require the member to have some where around 5 years firefighting experiance. On top of that, I'd require testing of some type to become minimum staffing on a heavy squad, because we've all seen people with a library of certifications, but can't seem to do the most basic of firefighting skills.

Forum Member

Here's my 2 cents ,

You can list a whole number of certifications to make mandatory to work on the Rescue Co. but certifications don't necessarily make good firefighters , and that's what you need on the Rescue Co. Don't get me wrong , there needs to be requirements so that they receive the proper training , but lets not get carried away.

I agree with the posters that said to take into account the types of runs that your Rescue Co. will go out on and build the criteria around that.

Certain certifications are a given , however the Recsue Co. should be hand selected by the officer in charge.

1. Experience is one of the main criteria. You shouldn't put a time table on that. Don't say , o.k. you need 5 years experience to run with the Rescue Co. Some guys will get catch more work in 2 years than some will in 8 years , especially in a volly Fire Co. Look at it on an individual basis.

2. Choose guys who don't need a babysitter. You want people who can hop off the rig , have their Capt. tell what to do do and then go do it. The Rescue Co. needs to be well diversified. Lets say the Rescue arrives 2nd due at a fire with 6 guys. They may need to split up into several different crews to get several different tasks accomplished quickly. You may need to send 2 guys to conduct a search , 2 guys for RIT and 2 guys to vent. This is where being able to think on their own a bit comes into play .This is very important , don't underestimate the need for Rescue Co. to be able to think and act on their own ( not freelancing , just being a little pro active )

3. Choose guys that you are CERTAIN will ALWAYS go the "extra mile".
    ( read into that what you will)

Once the Rescue Co. has been selected you must TRAIN , TRAIN and then TRAIN some more. They MUST remain well diversified and be ready to handle any type of call that they could possilble be sent out on.

Thread Information