Forum Member

Smile Spartan Big Easy

Any fire departments have a " Big Easy " chassis cab in service, what are your likes -or- dislikes of this apparatus. One of the departments in Woodbridge township has a Spartan/ Heavy rescue on order so we are looking for general input !....
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-14-2007 at 07:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Any fire departments have a " Big Easy " chassis cab in service, what are your likes -or- dislikes of this apparatus. One of the departments in Woodbridge township has a Spartan/ Heavy rescue on order so we are looking for general input !....
    We run one. Basically a low frills, limited option 94" wide Spartan chassis. Stock motor is the Cummins ISC 330, there were a handful made to beat the 2007 emissions rush with 350hp Cats, but they're likely pretty rare.

I wish we had more motor in ours, but the decision was made beyond my control that we were going to be in a commercial chassis. We fought to get the Big Easy as everything else we had on the bigger pumpers was a Spartan, and I think it is a step above a commercial chassis.

You won't find them much longer with Spartan's new naming system. The 94 inch wide cab will be optioned anyway you like now, from basic no frills to fully loaded, with no requirements to buy a specific model to get the options you want. The same will be true of the 96 inch wide Gladiator. The two model names will be the Metro Star and Gladiator, the rest of them will go away.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We run one. Basically a low frills, limited option 94" wide Spartan chassis. Stock motor is the Cummins ISC 330, there were a handful made to beat the 2007 emissions rush with 350hp Cats, but they're likely pretty rare.

I wish we had more motor in ours, but the decision was made beyond my control that we were going to be in a commercial chassis. We fought to get the Big Easy as everything else we had on the bigger pumpers was a Spartan, and I think it is a step above a commercial chassis.

You won't find them much longer with Spartan's new naming system. The 94 inch wide cab will be optioned anyway you like now, from basic no frills to fully loaded, with no requirements to buy a specific model to get the options you want. The same will be true of the 96 inch wide Gladiator. The two model names will be the Metro Star and Gladiator, the rest of them will go away.
    They have a 1988 GMC 2 door gas motor 7500 series chassis cab with a rescue body, so a Spartan Big Easy is a " step-up " from the commercial chassis. The chassis cost between $ 110,000 - $ 115,000 !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-15-2007 at 06:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's my understanding that the Big Easy will be around for another month or so. As NPFD said, after that it will be called a Metro Star.

Forum Member

We currently have a Big Easy Chassis that we put into service in late 2004. The only problem we have had is about 6 months after we had the truck the emergency lights and hydraulic generator would not turn on one day during our weekly inspection. The dealer promptly took care of this problem (a faulty solenoid) and everything has been working fine since. This vehicle works very well for us; the interior is nothing fancy but this truck seats 6 personal. . I donít think you could seat 6 personal in a commercial chassis. The 330 hp Cummins engine works well in our area; we have no really big hills and have no problem topping them. The air conditioning work very well.

Forum Member

We have had one for about a year and a half. Not bad for the price, definitely better than a 4 door commercial. Like others have said, it can be sluggish on hills. Also, it comes with an exhaust brake which doesn't work as good as the Jake brakes I am used to. The only problem that I am aware of has been with the Code 3 Light bar (spend a little extra and get Whelen LEDs).

Forum Member

Default Spartan Big Easy

The Spartan Big Easy will be called a Metro Star soon, Spartan is going to offer two products, 94" and 96" wide and just have the Metro Star and the Gladiator, build it how you want it.

The Big Easy was a 94" cab with very limited options, most of the thread replys about the chassis problems such as light bars and hydraulic generators have nothing to do with the chassis rather the OEM that built the body on it.

The only thing I see that the Big Easy didn't have was fluid access at the front of the body and we looked at the cost savings making it well worth it. If you are looking at an Advantage and a Big Easy side by side I don't think you would see much difference (other than fluid check)

Not a bad way to go unless you live in the mountains. Very competitive with the commercial chassis business but you get the room.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    They have a 1988 GMC 2 door gas motor 7500 series chassis cab with a rescue body, so a Spartan Big Easy is a " step-up " from the commercial chassis. The chassis cost between $ 110,000 - $ 115,000 !...
    The SPARTAN BIG EASY will be replacing this GMC !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CANorden
    Firehouse.com Guest

A misunderstood, non educated rant used to occupy this space but no longer does.
    Last edited by CANorden; 01-09-2009 at 06:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CANorden View Post
    Its a waste of space...it works well in an urban setting but you try to squeeze that big bastard on a back road barely big enough for an S10 you're screwed. Its also an issue whenever there is engine coolant leaking inside of the cab. Its just too damn wide. Get a truck manufacturer who builds their own cabs like E-One, Pierce, or Seagrave.
    Please tell me how an E-One, Pierce or Seagrave are any different in the so called "back road" you speak of. How does the engine coolant leak inside the cab? The width of the now "Metro Star" is less than most others. Please explain as I'm confused.

Forum Member

Its a waste of space...it works well in an urban setting but you try to squeeze that big bastard on a back road barely big enough for an S10 you're screwed. Its also an issue whenever there is engine coolant leaking inside of the cab. Its just too damn wide. Get a truck manufacturer who builds their own cabs like E-One, Pierce, or Seagrave.
    The Spartan cab is only ( 94" Wide ) !!

Forum Member

If it really is too wide I'm not sure it work to well in an urban setting either...in any case if IRRC most "custom" cab manufacturers use 96'', and I have a feeling that two inches aren't going to make much difference on a road wider than an S10. I don't think a commercial chassis could handle that either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nevermind that some customs are into the 100" wide realm.

I've been driving a Spartan 94" wide chassis on some serious back country roads this past month, and it isn't different than the four door IH I drive on a regular basis, or the Freightliners I've driven. It always seems like you're off on the shoulder when you're riding officer, but that isn't any different than any other custom style cab.

We have had a coolant leak in the cab on our '91 Spartan when we had an issue with the defroster. I'm okay with that, it just happened and if that's the biggest problem we have, the chassis has done a fantastic job holding together.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Give me that S10 fire truck!

Forum Member

This is about Spartan not Pierce, E-one or Seagrave. And at no point did the poster mention anything about tight roads. For the record I believe HME builds the narrowest custom cab available in the SFO. (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks)

Stick to the thread or don't post!!!!!!!!!

The Spartan product over all is good quality. The furion is taking the Big Easy's place in the product line. I think you will find for the price it is very nice chassis and is one the roomiest in the business.

Good luck!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDeng9 View Post
    For the record I believe HME builds the narrowest custom cab available in the SFO. (please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks)
    HME widened at least one of their cabs to 100" to accomodate the 2007 engines

Forum Member

Thumbs up Big Easy

We have been running a Spartan Big Easy for about 2 years now and have been very satisfied. Nice turning radius, handles well on our rural roads, plenty of room in the cab, and the Cummins ISC 330 has enough power for us. I would recommend the 94" wide cab to anyone. Our engine runs on all of our calls, even grass fires; with 1,000 gallons on board it can tend to our grass rig.

Forum Member

The HME SFO cab was 88' wide. However, they have since widened the cab to 96", same as all of their other cab models. The 88" wide SFO is no longer offered, only the new wide SFO. As with everyone else, 2007 engine cooling issues necessitated the change.

As for the Big Easy, I did sell one to a customer that thought they could only afford a commercial cab. I was able to get them into a custom (for just about the same price) using the Big Easy. They love the chassis and are very happy. The 330 hp engine works well for them since they're basically on flat land. And they do carry over 1000 gallons of water, so the truck is no
    liteweight.

I wouldn't be scared away by anyone's base custom chassis. They're all a step up from a commercial chassis and cab.

Forum Member

Ah 9,let it run.I wanna see the Pierce/E-one/Seagraves fit where the Spartan won't.'Cause I can tell you for a FACT that s**t ain't happening.96" is 96" anywhere I went to school REGARDLESS of whose shingle is hung on it.If the gates 90" wide,and you go thru it there's gonna be some pec*er tracks on the rig.Simple mathmatics.Why do people want to make life difficult?My other Dept has a Advantage.Capable truck that has given good srvice with few problems. T.C.

CANorden
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Big Easy....Big Waste

The cab and chassis itself are built remotely well its just we have so many what I like to call "over sized" features on our truck that makes it not so fun on the back roads. These features are a result of very poor specs. If you have ever heard of the company "Elite Fire Apparatus" or have the misfortune of owning one of their trucks you known what I mean about over sized. Take your time, do some research, and don't let a bunch of retards on the truck committee.

Note: The engine coolant was leaking from a heater/defroster return line within the cab.

Forum Member

So one might pose the question of why an "urban"oversized rig was spec'd for a goat path district? How can you blame a rig/mfg for someone's poor planning? As far as the coolant leak,it leaks if it's loose/broken on either a commercial or custom and it's a pretty easy fix on the 'Easy.Sounds to me like you may want to consider a "mini" to go along with the Easy.As far as Elite goes,that's water over the dam.Mebbee time to widen the goat trails,trucks aren't getting any smaller. T.C.

Thread Information