+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs down Seagrave Problems

Posted July 12, 2007

Seagrave says it will outsource some work
    Union, mayor unsure about impact on jobs

By Pete Bach
    Post-Crescent staff writer

Seagrave Fire Apparatus Thursday announced it would streamline operations and initiate an outsourcing program to improve its competitive stance.
    “During the next several months, the company will be partnering with various suppliers in northeast Wisconsin to provide subcomponents and services related to the company’s manufacturing processes,” the Clintonville company said in a statement released before the close of business.

Other details were not available. Efforts to reach Scott Mintier, Seagrave chief executive officer, were unsuccessful.

“It’s all kind of up in the air right now,” said Don Schaeuble, staff representative with the United Steelworkers’ District 2 headquarters in Menasha. “We’re still in the process of discussing what all might happen. It may be a little premature to jump to any conclusions at this point.”

Local 2-815 of the United Steelworkers represents about 350 of the approximately 400 workers at the plant.

In its statement, the company said the changes “will result in a leaner more productive organization with a reduced overhead structure” and added that the company would continue to produce high-quality fire trucks and related equipment.

“I don’t see it as a disaster,” said Clintonville Mayor Richard Beggs. “I think we need a week or two to let this sort out.”

Beggs said Mintier told him the company’s begun looking into outsourcing some of the painting, but the scope of the outsourcing has yet to be defined.

Beggs understood that 29 workers were laid off two weeks ago and that the layoffs were permanent, but that some were temporary employees.

Schaeuble said union officials met Tuesday with Mintier, the normal date of monthly meetings to discuss grievances and other union concerns.

The potential of outsourcing some work was brought up as was the potential for layoffs.

In general, employers don’t have to give notice of mass layoffs with the state unless 50 or more jobs are affected. The company had not filed any notice, state Department of Workforce Development spokeswoman Jessica Erickson said.

In September, Seagrave opened a new 137,000-square-foot final assembly building.

“We’ve been adding people and adding people, and all of a sudden now we make a complete turnaround,” Schaeuble said. “They’re telling us they’re not making enough money.”

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...APC03/70712144

MembersZone Subscriber

While some may argue the merits or rationale behind outsourcing, I think it is rather unfair of you to have posted a thread with a simple title of "Seagrave Problems" and a "thumbs down" icon.

The implication is that you have personally experienced or know of multiple actual problems with Seagrave apparatus, when all you have posted is an article about them outsourcing and trying to resolve organizational problems. Like no one else has those?

Maybe you have a problem with it, and there will no doubt be others (I'm not casting a vote just yet), but that was a very poor and misrepresentative choice of subject. Indeed,
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Blueflame most likely is a drinker of the Appleton Kool-Aid or he is a Union Supporter. Second option I have no problem with.......As for drinking the kool-aid.....well.........you keep drinking that stuff and sooner or later you will get drain bramage!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Seagrave Fire Apparatus LLC has been buying aerial platforms from ( RK Aerials ) for about 3 years, putting some welders out of work! or less overtime.
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-15-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Forum Member

As far as I know, Seagrave has not put any welders out of work because of RK aerials. This relationship was developed in the Hebe era when he wanted to place the rear mount platform and the midmount platform on the street to be competetive. Only these two products are outsourced and mounted mounted on the Seagrave chassis. Seagrave still is and always will build their own aerials. The engineering and tooling of the factory was not cost effective back then and Hebe decided to develope this relationship with RK for only the Platform apparatus. The Aerialscope is also completely built in the Wisconsin factory.
    It figures that some negativity would come out of some people especially when all of the facts are not presented. History has proven that Seagrave has survived many setbacks in this industry and has still survived for 126 years. I believe that all manufacturers will go into some sort of setback sooner or later. It seems quite strange that Seagrave, a company that produces a couple of hundred trucks a year is always at the forfront when some disapointing news comes out. This industry is going to go through alot of tough changes in the future with all that is required and some serious thought and money will be spent on trying to meet the needs of firefighters and lawmakers. I think the companies selling upwards of about 600 -800-1000+ trucks a year has much to think about since these companies have been enlarged to accomodate the demand. This is good for the companies that are selling loads of trucks, but always remember you need to sell more and more each year to stay on top. It would be wonderful if done properly, however budget restraints and some towns with 30 year replacement programs are going to catch up sooner or later. I believe Seagrave will conquer this issue they are experiencing. It seems funny that LA, FDNY, DC,Baltimore and other big cities still continue to buy Seagraves and have for over 100 years in some cases. There just has to be something there. you would think that these big cities would be thinking twice about purchasing apparatus from a company that some seem to think that Seagrave is going away. I know sales reps from Seagrave and they say that Seagrave has been hearing this for 126 years and their still here. Go figure. JMHO

Forum Member

Thumbs up

With the ( FDNY ) ordering over 60 Seagrave pumpers the sould have keep the employees they layed off ? LESS WORKERS = MORE $$$$ PROFIT !..

Forum Member

You could be right about that. Like I said, we don't know the facts. The factory was built first, then the town of Clintonville was built around it. I am told that better than 90% per cent of the employees of Seagrave live in Clintonville. I have a hard time believing that they would lay off these people for no other reason than profit. But that is just me. If I am not mistaken, Seagrave is owned partly by an investment corporation. Maybe the return on their investment with Seagrave is not what was forcast. In my mind, this would probably set off some alarms and now steps are being taken to avoid a total failure to produce apparatus. I am definately not a corporate wizard, but when tough decisions are made and people need to go, then so be it. Unfortunately we live in a society that demands high wages (Not a bad thing) which drive up costs from somewhere. I do know for a fact that the cost of materials has gone way up mostly due to higher wages, insurance and the cost of fuel. I think we have all felt that. I am sure Seagrave is happy with the contract with the FDNY and the other recent orders, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. Apparently they need more, alot more. But then again this is only speculation. We dont have the facts in front of us and one can only speculate. I feel bad for the people at Seagrave, I lived this very thing myself back in the Seventies when I got layed off from a good paying job and then again recently from a company that decided to outsource the very service I was providing after over 20 years. This is happening all over and it is unfortunate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Maybe you have a problem with it, and there will no doubt be others (I'm not casting a vote just yet), but that was a very poor and misrepresentative choice of subject. Indeed,
    ………………………….oh I don’t know about that…….. …….i would certainly say outsourcing and layoffs would indicate problems……………… …I would hardly call his title misrepresentative….. it seems like you may have a problem with it personally as well since you don’t like this other person titling the thread appropriately………. …it seems to me he is calling it what it is…

….outsourcing does not have a good track record anywhere I am aware of…………

Forum Member

"outsourcing does not have a good track record anywhere I am aware of…………"

Name me one builder that doesn't outsource. The last I checked there weren't any. Pierce doesn't make their own pumps. Darley does but doesn't build cabs. And so on...
    Last edited by GFD940; 07-16-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Forum Member

When talking about the outsourcing I gather that some painting and stuff of that nature are the items being outsourced. In what my department has experienced the paint job of seagrave isn't top notch. Don't get me wrong, the structure, form, and function of the truck is 20 stories above average, and customer service is right there with it. The only problem is paint and chrome issues...fluff stuff in my opinion. Here is a speculation, that seagrave noticed they aren't able to keep paint on there trucks so the idea of outsourcing to get someone else to paint for a while so that they can figure out how to improve painting and chrome so as to be able to "unoutsource" with a solution in hand to improve there product...so everything about there trucks is 20 stories above average, but again, just a speculation from the outside, I'm not a fly on the wall of the director's office.
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

Default Seagrave Problems:

Type in and hear the story yourself. Sorry I couldn't get the link to come in automatic, but eventually you'll get there if you want to.

I was just at the plant last week for inspection. The talk is in regards to fab and paint outsourcing. I heard the Union reaction was somewhere around 100 jobs could be affected. This could be a knee jerk reaction from the Union who likely called the media in the 1st place.

http://www.myfoxnewisconsin.com/myfo...te&qt=seagrave

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD940 View Post
    "outsourcing does not have a good track record anywhere I am aware of…………"

Name me one builder that doesn't outsource. The last I checked there weren't any. Pierce doesn't make their own pumps. Darley does but doesn't build cabs. And so on...
    ………….i was speaking of job loss, not really the things you brought up……….. no one likes job losses………… thank you for allowing me to clarify that…….

Forum Member

Its not uncommon to outsource, its not good for the workers, but it happens.

A major builder here recently lost a long standing contract because they were outpriced, dropped 25 workers off the books, it happens

Just think yourselves lucky you have a quality builder like Seagrave.

Here's a link to the video from the local TV station.

http://www.myfoxnewisconsin.com/myfo...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

Thread Information