Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi! New here

Default Hi! New here

Hi guys! I'm Janet from Oregon, I'm not an emt, yet, actually I'm only in high school. I have decided to become a Paramedic/firefighter, I have done many ride alongs including a who trimester at my local fire station...I joined looking to get info and learn things...so ya...I'm here....I guess I should make this post actually interesting with a question:
    I am going to be putting on a mock DUI MVA at my high school spring break 2009...(I know far away but I think it will be easier doing it that far away) and I want to get peoples tips on things to put in to make it the best possible. Here are some of the ideas I already have...They are basic so if you guys have anything to add that would be great!:
    Local FF will come code 3
    It will act as training for them
    Sheriff will be there too
    Life Flight will carry the injured away
    Morgue will take the dead away
    A parent will come on and everyone will see their reaction
    Thats all so far....

hey, this is sarah. you've replied in my thread, chief is on my case...what do i do? an might i ask what your doing at your school? is it a mock evacuation? and since code three is different evverywhere, what is your code three?
    and your administration should do some smaller drills to get the students ready fo this big one.
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

Code 3 generally means running with lights and sirens. and they are doing a mock DUI(drunk driving) crash.

Edit-I forgot to say welcome...

Thumbs up Welcome Janet!

Hey Janet,

Welcome to Firehouse. Great place and resource for information and getting to know the people you will eventually call Brother, or Sister.

I am also in High School, and if I remember correctly I thought you said you didn't have an Explorer or Junior program at any departments around you? May I suggest you look to see there are any Fire Science classes being hosted at your high school or any surrounding ones. They generally are your Junior and Senior year and are a great way to jump-start your fire service career.

Good luck to you!

FE Engine Captain

Post Reply: Welcome

Babygirl, first of all, welcome to the firehouse forums. As for your question on what to do at the mock DUI/MVA scenario you are planning, I would suggest all of your listed ideas plus having your victims being "moulaged" with simulated injuries. Also, as the event is taking place, have the sheriff or the fire department chief talking about the situation and the risks that come along with drinking while intoxicated. At my high school, an event such as this is done every year to show the risks of drinking while intoxicated. If you would like more information, private message me or email me at southlinefireexplorers@yahoo.c om. As to jrfireemt's post, Code 3 in almost any situation means the running of lights and sirens.

Hope this helps
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

sorry, i wasnt sure about code's we have the ten-codes, and lights and sirens is 10-39. and a silent run is 10-40. so that's why i asked.
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

FE Engine Captain

Quote Originally Posted by jrfireemt View Post
    sorry, i wasnt sure about code's we have the ten-codes, and lights and sirens is 10-39. and a silent run is 10-40. so that's why i asked.
    My mistake jrfireemt, I was under the impression that most people were aware of a code 3 response. Well now you know what a code 3 response is and I know what a 10-39 and a 10-40 response is.
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Ya here code 3 is lights and sirens! Wow jrfireemt that a lot of codes...at my school I took a class called health occupation I and II the first part we learned things like safety and diseases and such and also got out first aid cards then the second one is a mentorship where u go to a health place (like I went to the fire station) and u run calls or whatever...I didn't get too many but I got some pretty cool ones and made myself known there.

For the school thing its going to be a mock dui crash where two wrecked cars will be put on the football field and there will be "injured" and "dead" then it will be taken as if it was a real crash. Last year they had one of these so it will have been 3 years after I do it. I have also decided to buy a trauma kit that will make all of the wounds and stuff and then if there's a lot left over I'm going to donate it to the fire dept. I know they're expensive but I think I'll fundraiser it to get it..

As for classes sadly they don't have any fire science classes but we have the health occ class and Advanced Human Bio

Welcome to the crew. It sounds like you have things pretty well rollin with your mock disaster. We had one yearly at our school. It pretty much sounds like what your doing. We'd have a set of speakers so the students could hear the fire dept getting toned out to this "incident". They would sound the siren at the hall. Fire Trucks, Ambulances, Supervisors, Police you name it would come rollin onto the scene. Always a good show. You have some very good ideas it seems and you almost seem like you don't need any help. Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl2882 View Post
    Hi guys! I'm Janet from Oregon, I'm not an emt, yet, actually I'm only in high school. I have decided to become a Paramedic/firefighter, I have done many ride alongs including a who trimester at my local fire station...I joined looking to get info and learn things...so ya...I'm here....I guess I should make this post actually interesting with a question:
    I am going to be putting on a mock DUI MVA at my high school spring break 2009...(I know far away but I think it will be easier doing it that far away) and I want to get peoples tips on things to put in to make it the best possible. Here are some of the ideas I already have...They are basic so if you guys have anything to add that would be great!:
    Local FF will come code 3
    It will act as training for them
    Sheriff will be there too
    Life Flight will carry the injured away
    Morgue will take the dead away
    A parent will come on and everyone will see their reaction
    Thats all so far....
    You know what would really heat it up literally speaking make the car on fire just like a part of it that way you can still have the injured and dead victims unless there real people. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post
    You know what would really heat it up literally speaking make the car on fire just like a part of it that way you can still have the injured and dead victims unless there real people. hope this helps.
    Haha! Oh my that would be AMAZING!!! Exept I am using real people...but maybe? I sure could try....I'll ask thanks...I would have never thought of that...not sure how it would work though...It has to be safe...but I'm not so sure my school would be so happy about me ruining the football feild...my school is all SPORTS! your not cool if u don't do them....wow sorry hopefully I didn't insult anyone...I'm a drama geek and we don't get recognized AT ALL....ok I'm done sorry again

Here are some pics from the Mock Crash we did this past spring.....

http://rossfordfire.com/Mock%20Crash%202007.html

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

In the white shield pulling the door.

Last edited by backsteprescue; 07-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.

MY NOSE WAS ITCHY!!!!
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 07-16-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Yours truely with the white shield.

Last edited by backsteprescue; 07-16-2007 at 10:24 PM.

My advice would be to do exactly as RFRDxplorer says to do. :P

wow that looked really well done!! Since the mock crash I'll be doing isn't for a year and a lot I won't have pictures up but when it happens I already know 3 people I'm going to ask to come do pictures plus a news crew or two lol

Did anyone else who has done/seen the mock crashes have a news crew/seen a news crew come?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    My advice would be to do exactly as RFRDxplorer says to do. :P
    HAHA. Thanks buddy.

But seriously if you have any questions let me know and I will try to help you out or find the answer for you. Hit me up on email if you need to or here..... jhoffman358@yahoo.com

I'll give ya the whole rundown.

Thread Information