Forum Member

Default Looking to get into FFing in Metro Atlanta Area

Hello. I'm looking at getting info FFing/EMT on a full-time paid basis. I did a little volunteering about 3 or 4 yrs ago before the dept went to full-time career basis (the small city dissolved the all volunteer dept and contracted with the county). At the moment I'm an airline pilot flying as a first officer for one of the US Airways Express carriers. I have been back flying for the airlines about 3 yrs now. I took a brief stint off from flying after 911 (2 yrs or so) because there were no jobs. I took a sales job and didn't really like it at all even though I was making good money. Well when the airlines started hiring again I jumped back into the flying game because I missed it. I flew corporate jets and flight instructed for about 2 yrs before 911. Well after 3 yrs I still enjoy flying I'm just a little burned out being gone from home half the month. We average 14-16 days off per month. That still doesn't change the fact that I'm gone the other 14-16.

I really want to be home more because after only 3 yrs back in the flying game I feel I have missed so much of my 5 yr old son growing up. I also got divorced about 2 yrs ago as well. I started the EMT-B program at Lanier Tech and went until the end but had to many absences due to work to finish the quarter. Well now with a little better seniority (we bid our monthly schedules based on pure seniority) I think I could get the days off that I need to complete the EMT program. It would be tough but I think I could do it even if I had to call in sick a time or 2 to finish the quarter although I hate the idea of doing that. It would be much easier if I could get hired and then complete EMT school. I wouldn't mind sometime down the road getting my EMT-P.

Right down I'm a first officer making about 45k per yr, I'm about 1.5 to 2 yrs away from making regional jet captain and making 65-70K per yr. So right now it wouldn't be to big of a pay hit to get into FFing full-time and I have numerous contacts of people I could fly for on my days off in the metro Atlanta area on a daily contract basis making 300-400 per day on my days off so that would make up some if not all the difference. I think once I make captain and started earning a pretty nice paycheck it would be pretty tough to walk away from the job.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Try to get hired at one of the larger depts that don't require you to already be an EMT? Try to knock out the EMT while continue to work my airline job? I know this will help my chances at getting hired. What depts in the metro atlanta area would you target? I live on the northside but I'm open to drive anywhere within a 30 or 40 mile reference for a job.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just wanted to give you guys a complete background on myelf so I can make an informed decision. Thanks again.

Forum Member

I understand Atlanta has applications out for hiring now. Medics are preferred?

Forum Member

I looked on the City of Atlanta website the other day and all I saw was the Fire Chief, and Fire Repair Technician jobs.

I guess what I'm really looking for is should I try and gut in out and work on getting my EMT while working my airline job. It will still be very tough but hopefully doable with my current job (our schedules do change every month), or should I focus all my time and energy on just getting hired by dept's that don't require it to be hired. I know having your EMT enhances your chances at any dept. What depts would you guys target and why?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BJJFighter View Post
    I know having your EMT enhances your chances at any dept.
    That may be true in some cases, but most cities and counties that have their own recruit schools also include EMT-B. They do this because not everyone they hire has previous fire or EMS experience.

I would start off by researching departmets and figuring out where you want to work. Then ask around, figure out what the minimum requirments are for that dept. once they open up there application process.

You mentioned being gone half the month with your airline career. Just incase you didnt know, most fire depts. run a 24 hour shifts and average about 10 shifts a month. Yea thats not the 15 days you were talking about, but realize you'll still be away from home.

Good luck man.......

Forum Member

More departments will require an EMT because it shortens their academy. By having your EMT you have demonstrated a hands on skill that they can take a chance on you.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information