MembersZone Subscriber

Default Really REALLY need some advice.....

Hello everyone. Well, got a predicament on my hands. As you probably know (if you read the EMS forums) that I am in EMT school. We have about 2 weeks left plus doing all of my ride-time and clinicals. But here is the problem….

Back around March I applied for a position the Warren County 911 center as a dispatcher. Well, I have since then, of course, gone through EMT school. The 911 director also got fired because of inadequacies in the 911 center. I don’t know who the new 911 director is. Well today my asst. chief called me and said that 911 called him asking him questions about me because they are considering my application as a dispatcher. I am pretty sure they are going to call me because I had my asst. chief, the county sheriff, and the city fire chief all put in good words for me, plus they like to hire volunteer firefighters because they do not have to teach someone that knows absolutely nothing about 911. So here is the problem……

I do still want to work for 911, but I am still in EMT school. I know I am not going to quit EMT school for a job, I have worked to hard and I AM going to get my EMT certification. But I don’t know what to do afterwards, go work for 911, or use my EMT cert and go work for an ambulance company? I want to do both, but I am stuck. Anyone have any advice? Any and all would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Hello everyone. Well, got a predicament on my hands. As you probably know (if you read the EMS forums) that I am in EMT school. We have about 2 weeks left plus doing all of my ride-time and clinicals. But here is the problem….

I do still want to work for 911, but I am still in EMT school. I know I am not going to quit EMT school for a job, I have worked to hard and I AM going to get my EMT certification. But I don’t know what to do afterwards, go work for 911, or use my EMT cert and go work for an ambulance company? I want to do both, but I am stuck. Anyone have any advice? Any and all would be appreciated.

How soon is 911 looking for you to start? The start date may be later than when your EMT work is scheduled to finish. If so I don't think you have an issue.
    If there is overlap, then when the 911 Center calls tell them you've got two weeks left in EMT school. Maybe they'll let you schedule around your remaining classes. Ride alongs and clinicals will probably have to be scheduled on your off hours, though.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

i've never worked an ambulance but i did a couple stints in 911 dispatch in the air force. it can be kind of rewarding when you handle an emergency call but its pretty hard to sit there listening to radio transmissions from the guys on scene having all the fun. plus the fact that you're in the same tiny room for hours at a time. riding an ambulance you're out and about, going different places every day, getting hands on with the patients. so i'd say ride the bus but that's just my opinion.

Hook & Can

They are obviously considering your application. That doesn't always mean they are going to hire you on the spot tomorrow, and expect you to drop everything immediately. I'm sure they'll allow you to finish out your 2 weeks of EMT school, as most people would have to give 2 weeks notice to their current employer anyway. Are they hiring for just one position, or do they have several...and they can train you all at once?

I wouldn't sweat the timing just yet. Wait until you actually hear from them, because I'm sure you're going to need to interview for the job.

I know a couple of guys that do both...dispatch and ride the bus. They seem to enjoy it. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a question only you can answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably can do both, full time dispatch per-Diem EMT. But stop sweating it they haven’t even offered the job yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well let me ask yall this....

I do plan on going to Paramedic school in about 2 years once I finish my degree. The place I plan on going is the University of Mississippi Medical Center, or UMC for short. It is the place where they teach Med School for doctors. There admission to the paramedic program is just as competative as regular medical school. So do you think it would be best to have 2 years direct experience as an EMT? Another words, if I spent the last 2 years as a dispatcher and not on an ambulance do you think that would hurt my chances of paramedic school?

makes good girls go bad

I do plan on going to Paramedic school in about 2 years once I finish my degree. The place I plan on going is the University of Mississippi Medical Center, or UMC for short. It is the place where they teach Med School for doctors. There admission to the paramedic program is just as competative as regular medical school. So do you think it would be best to have 2 years direct experience as an EMT? Another words, if I spent the last 2 years as a dispatcher and not on an ambulance do you think that would hurt my chances of paramedic school?
    Good BLS before ALS.

With that being said, who will make a better Medic, an EMT that has been practicing his skills full time, or a radio jockey? (shuddup, I was/am one, I can make fun)
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another words, if I spent the last 2 years as a dispatcher and not on an ambulance do you think that would hurt my chances of paramedic school?
    If possible, do both. As was stated earlier you could try to work part-time as a dispatcher and part-time/per diem EMT.. or vice versa.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Kevin,

I know the Warren County, NJ area very well and also have a good friend who works for the the 911 center in Warren County. Personally, your EMT is useless in that area, as you should know almost all the EMS organizations in that area are pretty much 100% volly. The 911 center should understand about you going through the EMT class, but I would not pass up that job!

Forum Member

The School of Health Related Professions at the University of Mississippi Medical Center is not as selective as you are making it out to be, and you will more than meet the admissions requirements if you have spent those two years as a dispatcher. So you shouldn't worry too much about that in making your decision. UMC takes people who have not yet finished EMT-B. If you take advantage of the time and take a few additional college classes, that will have more impact.

The admissions requirements follow:

Academic Admission Requirements
    To be eligible for admission into the Emergency Medical Technology Program, a candidate must meet the
    following academic requirements:

A. Be a graduate of an approved high school or have the GED equivalent.
    B. Be a certified Mississippi EMT-Basic or EMT-Intermediate. Applicants not appropriately certified, but
    who are currently in EMT school or who are eligible to take the appropriate registry examination should
    indicate this on the Supplementary Information Form (enclosed).
    C. Take a comprehensive examination of general knowledge related to the EMT-Basic program content.
    An applicant must earn a minimum score of 70 to be admitted to the program. An applicant earning less
    than 70 may be retested. The examination will be given once each year.
    D. Complete a two-semester course sequence of college-level Human Anatomy and Physiology with
    laboratory with a grade of C or better in all components.
    The following courses are not required however preference will be given to applicants who are
    state residents and who have previous college credit.
    Courses Number
    English Composition 2
    Intermediate Algebra 1
    Oral Communication 1
    Introduction to Sociology 1
    General Psychology 1
    Principles of Chemistry with Laboratory 1
    Human Growth and Development 1
    Elective 1

Thread Information