MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Even Though Its What We "signed On" For...

This can get more than a little tedious after a while. I know there are Coalition Troops all around the world with similar feelings.

Soldier Sues Army To Halt 5th Call To Duty
    Reservist Says He Wants To Finish School

POSTED: 1:43 pm EDT July 13, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- An Army reservist is asking a federal judge in West Palm Beach to temporarily halt his fifth call to duty.

Sgt. Erik Botta, of Port St. Lucie, served four combat deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq between February 2002 and August 2004. He said the Army's fifth call-up is arbitrary, and that soldiers in similar cases have been granted exemptions or an honorable discharge.

"I'm one year away from finishing my contract with the military, and while I was on active duty, I gave them four years of unquestioned service doing what they requested of me," Botta told West Palm Beach TV station WPBF. "Since I've left, I've gotten married to my wife, and now we've had to put on hold starting a family and our lifestyle that we've made a lot of sacrifices for in the last three years."

An Army spokeswoman said each soldier's case is reviewed separately.

Botta, who joined the military in the days following Sept. 11, 2001, filed a lawsuit against the military Thursday in hopes of obtaining a delay or exemption to allow him to complete his electrical engineering degree.

"I've gone through the military channels, I've gone through the military appeal network and I'm currently on my third appeal," Botta said.

In his last three deployments, he was assigned to a special operations regiment based in Fort Stewart, Ga.

Botta currently has one year left on an eight-year contract with the military. He said he will serve his last year after he completes his engineering studies.

"I want to continue my studies and continue working in the defense industry," Botta said.

In the meantime, two Senate Republicans drafted legislation Friday that would require President George W. Bush to narrow the mission of U.S. troops in Iraq by the end of the year, putting a more bipartisan imprint on congressional unhappiness with the war.

The legislation put forward by Sens. John Warner and Richard Lugar says the administration "must adjust to the reality that sectarian factionalism" is not likely to go away anytime soon.

It would require that the U.S. military mission focus on protecting Iraq's borders, targeting terrorists and defending U.S. assets, and not "policing the civil stife and sectarian violence."

Warner is the longtime chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, while Lugar is the ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The Democratic-controlled House voted Thursday to withdraw U.S. troops by next spring. Bush has threatened to veto the bill in the unlikely event it clears the Senate.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it would be easier to get a continuance for the degree than fight the military, but I can see his point.

A reservist does not expect the same rate of deployment as a regular force soldier. To give more than four deployments, almost back to back is a lot to ask.

A regular force soldier makes his living off of deployments, and when he is stateside, has his base job to rely on for his living. If anything, more deployments means more career advancement, and more money. These reservists put their life on hold during a deployment, and the end result is often less money, a stalled career, and the potential personal toll from a non-military family breakdown.

He owes the contract, so it is not an easy answer, but the Military (and Gov't) has to realize that they may very well deplete the reserves en-mass if the committment is higher than the average citizen can take.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

True enough in general. However the opstempo that our guys and I saw this with my brother-in-law who is now (retired) US Army, back to back deployements are killers in every sense of the word. The troops suffer burnout both mentally and physically. The sad part is, even though most of them could make a case for not going on the "next roto", they still do.

There is only so much that can be asked, and only so much that can be given. Some have more than others but for each once that point is reached, its finished. At least for a little while until the batteries can be recharged so to speak.

The only "real" solution is to recruit more, but that requires money and time, and for some reason those always seem to be in very short supply when words like "army", "navy", "air force", operational deployment", "reserves" "equipment", "firefighting" {had to throw that one in} are used in conjuction with "budget". Suddenly there is a cry to reduce spending in those areas to do "other things" that never really seem to matierialize.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I can't say that I blame him. I know he signed the papers, but I believe he's done his part.

I read a lot of conservative writings by able bodies under 42 folks who talk about how we should support the President, but they never seem to find their way to a recruiting station.

Those recruiters must be hiding.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya, I'd say he's done his part. 4 deployments in less than 4 years. That would be enough for pretty much anyone.

HEHEHEHEE about "recruiters must be hiding."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

I was wondering how long it would take for this story to come up in the firehouse forums. It's been on the Military.com forums for a while now. I'm not computer savvy enough to post the link, but if you want to check out mil.coms sight, feel free.
    Just so everyone knows, yes this soldier did deploy four times in 5 years. What the initial story doesn't state is that he was only deployed for a TOTAL of 12 months in that time frame, and half of it was spent at very cushy bases in Turkey. Bases that most deployed solders would kill to be stationed at.
    When reading this story keep in mind that most of todays military deploys now for at least 6 mos at a time, with most deployments in the 12 to 18 month time frame. I know this for a fact, I was active duty myself and deployed a total of 18 months in 4 years. There are not many of us who feel sorry for this jerk.
    But to be honest, most fellow military members would rather just see this guy get out alltogether. If he's b****ing this much already, how much value could he possibly be in a deployed environment?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Platts, as always two sides to every story. And now that you've added that the deployments were not what most of us Army Geeks would call "Field Operations" time........ I still understand his basic sentiment, but maybe just not when applied to himself. Heck, I'd love a deployment to Turkey too!

MembersZone Subscriber

What the initial story doesn't state is that he was only deployed for a TOTAL of 12 months in that time frame, and half of it was spent at very cushy bases in Turkey.
    Boy, I've probably spend that much time on TDY in the last 4 years. I know that one of my co-workers has. Oh-well, that's what pays the bills.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Heck, I'd love a deployment to Turkey too!

Missing the old Cyprus tours Rick?

I hear those were pretty cushy in the final years of the mission. As much time on the beach as on the point.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Unhappy mission accomplished

If memory serves me right we went to Iraq to get rid of WMD and Saddam Hussein. Mission accomplished. Bring all of the boys home. Al Qaeda is supposedly stronger than pre 9/11. Maybe we should think of a new course and not get rid of the field generals when they disagree with Dub-Ya. If I had not spent a tour in the sand I wouldn't have touched this subject. I think it may get heated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by n2dafyre View Post
    If memory serves me right we went to Iraq to get rid of WMD and Saddam Hussein. Mission accomplished. Bring all of the boys home. Al Qaeda is supposedly stronger than pre 9/11. Maybe we should think of a new course and not get rid of the field generals when they disagree with Dub-Ya. If I had not spent a tour in the sand I wouldn't have touched this subject. I think it may get heated
    i think this post might just turn this thread into a ****ing match over whether the war is right or not
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by res54cuecaptain View Post
    i think this post might just turn this thread into a ****ing match over whether the war is right or not
    Nothing new there ... most of these threads end up that way.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Nothing new there ... most of these threads end up that way.
    true, very true
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

Angry

Not my intent, but ya you are probably right. Every now and then a subject just hits a sore spot with me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Missing the old Cyprus tours Rick?

I hear those were pretty cushy in the final years of the mission. As much time on the beach as on the point.
    Sigh. Ya, I do. I was there 88/89 and tried to get back for the closing out tour.... but no such luck.

n2dafyre, I hear ya there Brother. I spent my time in the Gulf too - bouncing around on a Frigate for 79 days straight, but enough war stories, I left my helmet at home on the shelf in the closet, and hope never to have to take it down again except to return it to Clothing Stores.

MembersZone Subscriber

As always more of the story has come out....

GI Suing To Halt Deployment Reports For Duty
    Reservist Waits For Word From Judge

POSTED: 12:27 pm EDT July 17, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- An Army reservist from Florida fighting his fifth deployment has reported for duty in South Carolina while waiting for a Miami judge to consider his federal lawsuit.

Sgt. Erik Botta, of Port St. Lucie, reported to Jackson, S.C., on Sunday.

Botta, 26, served four combat deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq between February 2002 and August 2004. He said the Army's fifth call-up is arbitrary, and that soldiers in similar cases have been granted exemptions or an honorable discharge.

"I'm one year away from finishing my contract with the military, and while I was on active duty, I gave them four years of unquestioned service doing what they requested of me," Botta told WPBF-TV. "Since I've left, I've gotten married to my wife, and now we've had to put on hold starting a family and our lifestyle that we've made a lot of sacrifices for in the last three years."

Botta filed a lawsuit against the military last week in hopes of obtaining a delay or exemption to allow him to complete his electrical engineering degree.

"I've gone through the military channels, I've gone through the military appeal network and I'm currently on my third appeal," Botta said.

Botta filed the petition in U.S. District Court in West Palm Beach, contending that the Army's refusal to exempt him from deployment "constitutes unlawful custody." Botta argues the Army did not consider the length and nature of his previous tours.

An Army spokeswoman said Army Reserve units deploy for 12 consecutive months, and that Botta has only accumulated about 10 nonconsecutive months of deployment. She also notes that Botta is under an eight-year service contract. Botta enlisted in October 2000.

In his last three deployments, he was assigned to a special operations regiment based in Fort Stewart, Ga.

Botta joined the Army Reserve in 2000 but asked to be activated after the 2001 terrorist attacks. He has not been required to participate in any training since being released from active duty in October 2004. {I wish! And any possible sympathy just followed itself between $hit and syphalis in the Dictionary.... }

Previous Story:
    July 13, 2007: Soldier Sues Army To Halt 5th Call To Duty

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    As always more of the story has come out....

GI Suing To Halt Deployment Reports For Duty
    Reservist Waits For Word From Judge

POSTED: 12:27 pm EDT July 17, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- An Army reservist from Florida fighting his fifth deployment has reported for duty in South Carolina while waiting for a Miami judge to consider his federal lawsuit.

Sgt. Erik Botta, of Port St. Lucie, reported to Jackson, S.C., on Sunday.

Botta, 26, served four combat deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq between February 2002 and August 2004. He said the Army's fifth call-up is arbitrary, and that soldiers in similar cases have been granted exemptions or an honorable discharge.

"I'm one year away from finishing my contract with the military, and while I was on active duty, I gave them four years of unquestioned service doing what they requested of me," Botta told WPBF-TV. "Since I've left, I've gotten married to my wife, and now we've had to put on hold starting a family and our lifestyle that we've made a lot of sacrifices for in the last three years."

Botta filed a lawsuit against the military last week in hopes of obtaining a delay or exemption to allow him to complete his electrical engineering degree.

Botta filed the petition in U.S. District Court in West Palm Beach, contending that the Army's refusal to exempt him from deployment "constitutes unlawful custody." Botta argues the Army did not consider the length and nature of his previous tours.

An Army spokeswoman said Army Reserve units deploy for 12 consecutive months, and that Botta has only accumulated about 10 nonconsecutive months of deployment. She also notes that Botta is under an eight-year service contract. Botta enlisted in October 2000.

Botta joined the Army Reserve in 2000 but asked to be activated after the 2001 terrorist attacks. He has not been required to participate in any training since being released from active duty in October 2004. {I wish! And any possible sympathy just followed itself between $hit and syphalis in the Dictionary.... }

Previous Story:
    July 13, 2007: Soldier Sues Army To Halt 5th Call To Duty

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Told ya. This guys just a whiney jerk. I can't beleive with all that his comrades have sacrificed, he still has the nerve to act like this. Like I said before, let him get out. His attitude would just be a pox on the rest of his unit overseas anyway.

Thread Information