MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apparatus (brush/rapid attack) question

OK gurus and knowledgable ones, here's a situation and question for you guys on an option we're looking at for our rapid attack unit.

I've already been pricing rapid attack trucks (550/5500 chassis, rescue style body, skid unit) and it seems they're a LOT higher than I thought. I've had a couple of dealers say they can get our chassis, put a cheaper utility body on it (as opposed to a "fire/rescue" body), and a skid for cheaper.

This got me thinking. We've got a shop close by that builds custom utility bodies, and they do a damn nice job. They're more solid than the other utilities I've seen out there and I'm sure they'll work with us to make it how we like it. The question is, can we pull off buying a chassis, then taking it to the body manufacturer, then purchasing a skid seperately?

The only reservation (and I'm going to check to see if they can do it) is wiring in the lights, sirens, etc. Plus placement of a potential generator and such. I think they can likely do this kind of thing, as I say they do a lot of custom work with welders, buckets, etc. I just don't know if this is a viable option with the grant program. I have a feeling we can get by considerably cheaper because it's not a "fire/rescue" body manufacturer.

Forum Member

I'm new to posting here and not sure what price range you are looking at, but look at FOUTS BROTHERS FIRE EQUIPMENT. They sell a rescue type body with a slide in skid unit on an F-550 chasis at around $70,000.00.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think as long as you meet the scope of the grant and it meets the applicable NFPA standard, how it gets built should not be an issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can do it. A department I wrote for in 2005 did it. They purchased their chasis. Had their box made and set by another company. They then bought everything else and installed the rest on their own. Very cost effective. At the end of the grant when you close it out you just enter the truck as (1) item at the total amount spent. You will then explain what you did in your clossing narrative.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22 check out the 5500 real hard. The reason I am saying this is a department in our county bought a 4dr Ford with a rescue body and skid unit. It does not have the power his 2005 Ford with a Triton did. It gets about 8 MPG on the Hwy. Big difference from the 24 he was getting. I am trying to get a price from him if you want. It has a 225 gal skid unit with a 10 gal foam cell, generator, etc....

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    Catch22 check out the 5500 real hard. The reason I am saying this is a department in our county bought a 4dr Ford with a rescue body and skid unit. It does not have the power his 2005 Ford with a Triton did. It gets about 8 MPG on the Hwy. Big difference from the 24 he was getting. I am trying to get a price from him if you want. It has a 225 gal skid unit with a 10 gal foam cell, generator, etc....

T.J.
    I'd appreciate any kind of info! We are looking more at the GMC chassis. I've watched too many ambulance and fire departments struggle through the PowerStroke issues. I also hear the GMC/Chevy has a tighter turning radius and all, too.

Everything I'm getting so far from mfgs is that they can't do a 4-door (not that we've decided we want 4) for $125K on a GMC chassis, at least not with the rescue body and skid. I'm thinking it's a crock, I've seen too many Ford 4-door demos set-up with the body and skid for in the $80's.

Forum Member

Catch;

That is exactly my plan if we are awarded.
    Knapheide has a plant only 20 miles away and they make a great product.
    I work for a local Telco and that is what has been used in the past.
    I would not recommend a fiberclass body, way to heavy.

http://www.knapheide.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire View Post
    Catch;

That is exactly my plan if we are awarded.
    Knapheide has a plant only 20 miles away and they make a great product.

http://www.knapheide.com/
    If you are using their utility body and plan on using a standard slide in unit for a tank and pump make sure it will fit. I know of a department that went that route a few years ago and the skid unit would not fit in the body and ended up having to go with a custom made skid unit at about twice the cost.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 80FIRE View Post
    If you are using their utility body and plan on using a standard slide in unit for a tank and pump make sure it will fit. I know of a department that went that route a few years ago and the skid unit would not fit in the body and ended up having to go with a custom made skid unit at about twice the cost.
    I will definitely consider this if we go this route! I'm thinking we won't have an issue, I'll just have to get the skid measurements first. These guys, from my understanding at least, do custom work along with their cookie cutters.

I think we're also going to see if they can't do some things like install a PTO or hydraulic generator, or better yet a generator/power unit for our hydraulic tools. Maybe SCBA seats if we go with a 4-door, SCBA bottle storage in the wheel well, etc. We're going to try to do some things to make this our Service Company for ISO, or at least a good portion of the equipment on it (don't know that we'll ever get 6 scba and spare bottles on something like this) since ISO says we need one.

They're very pro-fire, so I think they'll work with us pretty well. They've done a lot of fab work for my career department (which covers their shop) that looks better than what the original manufacturer did.

Thread Information