Thread: Reed Hood PiCs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reed Hood PiCs

This thread is not here to debate hoods. There are plenty of them going around. I'm starting this for informational purposes only. If you have questions about the Reed Hood, about how they work, why we use them, the good and the bad. Feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. Just remember there was a time when firemen rejected airpacks..How many of you would go in without them on now.

"DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Does that hood have an overlapping flap on the front? And if so, is it secured with Velcro?

AZFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    Does that hood have an overlapping flap on the front? And if so, is it secured with Velcro?
    AZFF
    As you can kind of see in this pic, the hood has an open front which becomes the front layer when wraped around. It is held together by velcro and works real well.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard of the Reed hoods, but had never actually seen one until now, so this thread grabbed my attention.

I would love to see pics of the hood as it is being donned so I can get a bit better idea of how the front flap(s?) work, etc.

Edit: Wow, I see you posted the exact pic I wanted to see while I was writing my post...you are on the ball!

Forum Member

Here's the link to The Fire Store:
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...reed_hood_pbi/

Seem's a little pricey at $204.99.

AZFF

MembersZone Subscriber

After getting confident in putting it on how long does it take? I noticed from Videos on thebravestonline.com that almost everyone on your dept comes off the truck with there hood, helmet, and mask on. And is there also a way of pulling it down in the back like a traditional hood so you can just pull it up over your mask when you need it? I ask b/c at my dept we donít come off the truck masked up very often we usually just put on everything at the door. I personally like how Houston comes off the truck ready to go. I believe sometimes you rush at the door and your PPE is not always properly put on. But that is not in our SOGís even though I sometimes do it. And my last question is do a lot of Houston guys were a sock hood under there reed hood? Because it does not look like there is elastic on the bottom of the hood. And if the is the case I also would wear two hoods. Ok maybe that wasnít my last question do you or some of your guys were a traditional hood on car fires and other non structure fires or is that the hood you have to wear all the time? I personally like the added protection, I donít believe in all that ďyou ears tell you when to get out B.S.Ē and if my dept would issue me one I would wear it. When it comes to safety the more the better, there is no substitute for good training firefighters are too smart today to need a body part to tell us when it is time to get out. I donít think I could go out and spend 204$ out of my own pocket other wise I would have one. Thanks for starting this thread I have always had questions about the reed hood. And thanks in advance for answering my questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I must say it is a interesting concept but the price is way to steep for me even with a uniform allowance. The only question I have is how bulky is it?Looks real bulky and not very comfortable. Other than that I will be interested to see if it catches on.
    "Lead Follow Or Get Out Of The Way"

Forum Member

sweet garrity light.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    Here's the link to The Fire Store:
    [url]
    Seem's a little pricey at $204.99.
    AZFF

YA you are right that is kind of a lot. I don't have to buy mine and to be honest I didn't know how much they cost, but other the other hand...my head is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chattfiremike View Post
    Well I must say it is a interesting concept but the price is way to steep for me even with a uniform allowance. The only question I have is how bulky is it?Looks real bulky and not very comfortable. Other than that I will be interested to see if it catches on.
    When you first start to wear it it does feel bulky, but let any new gear it takes time, training and experince to get used to the new gear. to be honest i don't even realize i'm wearing it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    sweet garrity light.
    Johnny leave the poor rookie alone...i mean he is at Sta 25 a-shift...it's not his fault he he he. hey go up to jimmy today and give him a big kiss for me will you.I now he misses me over there...lol

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    After getting confident in putting it on how long does it take? I noticed from Videos on thebravestonline.com that almost everyone on your dept comes off the truck with there hood, helmet, and mask on. And is there also a way of pulling it down in the back like a traditional hood so you can just pull it up over your mask when you need it? I ask b/c at my dept we donít come off the truck masked up very often we usually just put on everything at the door. I personally like how Houston comes off the truck ready to go. I believe sometimes you rush at the door and your PPE is not always properly put on. But that is not in our SOGís even though I sometimes do it. And my last question is do a lot of Houston guys were a sock hood under there reed hood? Because it does not look like there is elastic on the bottom of the hood. And if the is the case I also would wear two hoods. Ok maybe that wasnít my last question do you or some of your guys were a traditional hood on car fires and other non structure fires or is that the hood you have to wear all the time? I personally like the added protection, I donít believe in all that ďyou ears tell you when to get out B.S.Ē and if my dept would issue me one I would wear it. When it comes to safety the more the better, there is no substitute for good training firefighters are too smart today to need a body part to tell us when it is time to get out. I donít think I could go out and spend 204$ out of my own pocket other wise I would have one. Thanks for starting this thread I have always had questions about the reed hood. And thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Giweff these are some good questions. First off one thing I have always said on here about the Reed hood is that if you wear it you have to change your tactics. It is so different then wearing a sock hood in many ways. You can kind of compare it to wearing ĺ pull up boots and bunker pants. Although the pull-ups workÖbunkers are so much better. So when you fight fire you have to learn to rethink what you are doingÖno longer are you using your ears as a temperature gauge, OMG what do we do then. We use a different part of the body, wrist, hand, hell me Iíve just learned to feel the heat through my gear.

1) The Reed hood is made to be put on before your coat. So trying to use it like a sock hood doesnít really work all that well. What I have done in the past is have a sock hood on underneath and worn the Reed on the out side of the coat
    2) As far as coming off masked up ready to go. I have grown to like that. I have stepped of the truck and people run up to me yelling there was someone inside; I didnít have to don anything. I just slapped my reg in and went. Saved times and lives.
    3) A lot of guys wear sock hoods underneath, but sometimes I do and sometimes I donít no real good or bad points just personal preference.
    4) Most Houston guys wear the Reed on all fires. For a while I just wore my sock hood on car fires but I got so used to the Reed I just always had that on in stead.

Great questions. Hoped I helped.
    Last edited by hfd838; 07-17-2007 at 10:34 AM.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Looks a little cumbersome but would just take time to get used to. You say you wear a sock hood under the reed hood, is that hood wore under your mask webbing? and if so doesn't it interfere with the seal of the mask?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire40man View Post
    Looks a little cumbersome but would just take time to get used to. You say you wear a sock hood under the reed hood, is that hood wore under your mask webbing? and if so doesn't it interfere with the seal of the mask?
    It doesn't interfere because you wear the sock like everyone else you just put the Reed hood over the sock hood. and like i said at first it does feel cumbersome, but you would be surprised how quick you get used to it. no different then wearing two sock hoods.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Truckie

So you put your SCBA mask on, then hood, then coat, then finally your bottle?
    Look awful silly out there on an alarm sounding walking around like that.
    Not to mention, who is going to wait for you when you have to remove your SCBA, then your coat, put on your hood and get redressed, if you don't put it on and you do have something?
    Not throttling you hfd, just my take on it...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    So you put your SCBA mask on, then hood, then coat, then finally your bottle?
    Look awful silly out there on an alarm sounding walking around like that.
    Not to mention, who is going to wait for you when you have to remove your SCBA, then your coat, put on your hood and get redressed, if you don't put it on and you do have something?
    Not throttling you hfd, just my take on it...

don't worry about throttling me because if you think about what you just wrote you made no sense what so ever.....

1) You did get the order right. Enroute to a fire we fully dress out mask first, then hood, then coat, then finally your bottle? (oh course we do put our pants on first really...lol) so when you arrive on location you are ready to go.

2)hmmm you know we might look silly, but if there is a fire we are dressed and ready and if a childs life is in danger we are that much quicker, besides when did this become a fashion show. Give me a break man...you wouldn't were better equipment because you look silly...

3) In my earlier post I said that i wear a sock hood normal and the reed hood on the outside so if for what ever reason i am caught with out my hood on i can just pull up my sock hood and throw my Reed over it, one extra step no big deal. to me it's worth the added protection

JUST SO YOU ALL NOW.i GREW UP IN NEW ENGLAND AND YES I LIKE MOST OF YOU WAS NOT TRAINED AND BROUGHT UP TO GET FULLY READY ENROUTE TO A FIRE. IT TOOK A WHILE WHEN I GOT HERE TO GET USED TO IT AND AS THE GUYS AT 46'S WILL TELL YOU I STILL BUCK IT SOMETIMES, BUT LETS BE HONEST WHY WOULDN'T WE WANT TO BE FULLY READY TO GO IN ROUTE WHEN WE ARE ON THE PUMPER (TRUCKIES DON'T FLIP OUT HERE I BELIEVE THERES A DIFFERENCE)

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Truckie

Well I'm glad you answered my questions, having been a career department only since 1856, we are still learning how it's done in the big city.
    I love being ready as soon as I get there, that's why I can get my mask on and set in the amount of time it takes the FEO to charge the line-hmmm, maybe 15 seconds at the door. And being in Minnesota, charging of the pumper with your mask on in the winter, only to have it immediately frost over really doesn't help matters.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 07-17-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I'm glad you answered my questions, having been a career department only since 1856, we are still learning how it's done in the big city..
    Oh come on now...you can roll your eyes but your the one that asked the questions. I just gave what I believe the anwser to be for Housotn. I even put in my disclaimer at the bottom, but you must have missed that.

[QUOTE=SPFDRum;837716] I love being ready as soon as I get there, that's why I can get my mask on and set in the amount of time it takes the FEO to charge the line-hmmm, maybe 15 seconds at the door. QUOTE]

I truly mean no disrespect. More so because for years I believed the same thing you did which also what 99 % of the country thinks so I will not say anyone is wrong. Iím just saying Iíve learned a new way of doing things over the years. Some of the tactics in Houston have taken a little while for me to grasp because I was so embedded in the way we did things up north. I truly mean no disrespect to you or anyone else, but I will say this. If my daughter is in that house then to 15 fifteen seconds is a long time.

And being in Minnesota, charging off the pumper with your mask on in the winter, only to have it immediately frost over really doesn't help matters.
    Man i so know what youíre talking about. We have the same problem here, but just the opposite, Our masks are cool from the a/c we get the pumper hit that Texas heat and our masks fog up before we can get 3 feet.... and you know what some smart fireman came up with an answer for only 20 bucks and man it kicks ***** let me find the link and Iíll send it to you.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Truckie

Texas heat and our masks fog up before we can get 3 feet
    Well that's a SOB now isn't it! I could only wish our A/C worked that well....
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that's a SOB now isn't it! I could only wish our A/C worked that well....
    ok now that's funny..LOL

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

You dont find that wearing your mask as you step out of the truck results in tunnel vision?

Where in New England were you from?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CTJAKE View Post
    You dont find that wearing your mask as you step out of the truck results in tunnel vision?
    No not at all, it's really like anything...it just a matter of getting used to it and adapting you actions based on what your equipment can or can't do.

I'm from Mass. Family lives in a town called Amesbury, which is up off 95

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

The whole "seconds" line of thought works both ways. If there's nothing, or you are in a position to remove your mask, it's only a quick bit of work to take your crap off. And you can put the Reed on with your coat and air pak on, it's just not the best way.

I know the invention 838 is talking about. You can also use a quick blast from your air. That's what I do and I've never had an issue running out of air too soon once I'm in the building.

Forum Member

are you an officer on the truck? do your officers come off the truck masked up? Is the dept big on doing walk arounds prior to making entry? I love watching the HFD work, very coordinated and aggressive. As a personal preference i dont like giving an arrival report and walking around with my mask on. i hate a muffled arrival report, and i feel like, with an MSA mask on, my feild of vision is not 100% as it would be without a mask. I do not have any experience with the Scott, but it does look a little wider as far as periphery goes.

How do you officers work around the hood?

Man i so know what youíre talking about. We have the same problem here, but just the opposite, Our masks are cool from the a/c we get the pumper hit that Texas heat and our masks fog up before we can get 3 feet.... and you know what some smart fireman came up with an answer for only 20 bucks and man it kicks ***** let me find the link and Iíll send it to you.
    you can just crack your bypass for a second too
    Last edited by LeatherHed4Life; 07-17-2007 at 11:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    are you an officer on the truck? do your officers come off the truck masked up? Is the dept big on doing walk arounds prior to making entry? I love watching the HFD work, very coordinated and aggressive. As a personal preference i dont like giving an arrival report and walking around with my mask on. i hate a muffled arrival report, and i feel like, with an MSA mask on, my feild of vision is not 100% as it would be without a mask. I do not have any experience with the Scott, but it does look a little wider as far as periphery goes.
    How do you officers work around the hood?
    you can just crack your bypass for a second too
    Everyone comes off the trucks fully geared and ready for work.....As an E/o who rides for a lot of captains I am a firm believer in doing some type of walk around. Does the mask have limited view yes they all do, but again like any and all tools every things has limitations and a good fireman learns not only how to deal with those limits, but even find ways to use to his advantage.

As far as given a muffled report. if your doing a walk around you shouldn't be connected to your reg so it should be to muffed...of course Iíve never used the MSA so it might be worse then the scotts.. And even if it is, no one ever said fighting fire was easy or you had to be perfect... LOL we do the best with what we have.
    Last edited by hfd838; 07-18-2007 at 12:37 AM.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hfd838 View Post
    Everyone comes off the trucks fully geared and ready for work.....As an E/o who rides for a lot of captains I am a firm believer in doing some type of walk around. Does the mask have limited view yes they all do, but again like any and all tools every things has limitations and a good fireman learns not only how to deal with those limits, but even find ways to use to his advantage.

As far as given a muffled report. if your doing a walk around you should be connected to your reg so it should be to muffed...of course Iíve never used the MSA so it might be worse then the scotts.. And even if it is, no one ever said fighting fire was easy or you had to be perfect... LOL we do the best with what we have.
    The officers do a 360 walk around with mask on and on air?? Not only does it hinder vision and communication, but it wastes air! But hey if it's what you guys do I've got no problem with it, just couldn't imagine myself doing that (if I was an officer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by erics99 View Post
    The officers do a 360 walk around with mask on and on air?? Not only does it hinder vision and communication, but it wastes air! But hey if it's what you guys do I've got no problem with it, just couldn't imagine myself doing that (if I was an officer).

my bad that should say shouldn't be on air..i'll go correct my spelling and grammer.....

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Thread Information