Default Brush Truck Ideas

Looking for ideas on a flatbed brush truck with a skid unit. Prefer a F350 with 200gallons of water. No parade piece and no attack piece, just a basic flatbed brush truck. Anybody have any suggestions or pics ? No sales people please, I am getting beat up already.
    Bustin Mine To Save Yours

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.bgvfc.net/bgvfchome.htm

Check under apparatus. Rig #21-141

Forum Member

If you are building a brush truck, why build it on a light duty truck? Ford makes 450 or even a 550. Just the water alone will put a 1,700 payload on your truck. Sure the F-350 will have the power to haul the load but what about stopping the load and the wear and tear over the years? A little more up front can save you in the long run.

Flat beds provide more ground clearence!

Check out this site for ideas: http://www.cascadefire.com/slipons06/slip-onhome.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volley410 View Post
    Looking for ideas on a flatbed brush truck with a skid unit. Prefer a F350 with 200gallons of water. No parade piece and no attack piece, just a basic flatbed brush truck. Anybody have any suggestions or pics ? No sales people please, I am getting beat up already.
    I sell, but I won't mention anything pro for what I can sell for skid units, unless other builders can do it too. If this isn't acceptable, I'll delete the post.

Do you want poly for the tank? For the entire skid? Darley, CET, G-FRA and others can do this for you. You could conceivably pit everyone against each other to get the best price. Obviously, other builders do skids out of varying materials.

I see a lot of folks buying 18 horse pumps that will flow 100 gpm at 150 psi. Sure, there is a need for this, but if you're doing simple grass fire work you likely may not need this big of pump. You can save a ton of money going with a lower horsepower pump. Of course, if you're filling tankers with the thing, or using it on car fires - then you want more pump.

Stuff I think is neat, and not exclusive to the skids I sell:

-The underskid slide out storage for long handled tools. Raises your center of gravity a bit.
    -The little Scotty Class A foam system, though this isn't cheap
    -Bumper turret. Really a great way to keep your folks from trying to ride outside while spraying water, though again - not cheap.

The problem with the flatbed is that you have the ability to mount tool boxes to the flatbed, which then only increases the load you carry. I would agree with the previous poster and try to go to a heavier chassis, think about staying out of a diesel (this isn't saying a diesel is a poor choice) since the weight on the front end is substantially more, and stay out of dual rear wheels if you run in moist/wet ground a lot.

Links to look at:
    http://www.g-fra.com/default.asp
    http://www.fire-pump.com/products.asp
    http://www.darley.com/modules.php?na...s&file=DropIns
    http://www.danko.net/products/brushwacker/brushwacker

Exclusion of a builder above is certainly not an attempt to slight their product.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Check out our apparatus at www.newburgfirerescue.com. We use F-350 trucks, without a flatbed (standard box still intact) wich we found works the best to protect equipment. We have had excellent success with our trucks, and are able to get them to a lot of places that larger flatbeds (with duallys) cannot access. We have 200 gallon skid units in both, and they seem to be working great. Let me know if you have any other questions about the rigs, or need a vendor name. Thanks
    If you arent having fun, quit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is my idea for a good, off-road brushtruck:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/photos/album3.php

These are built on a Jeep Wrangler platform, can be equipped with larger tires and even Chrysler Hemi engines to move it along better than the stock 6 cylinder.

Not sure how much water you could carry, maybe 100-150 gallons, but as far as weight and off-road capability, it would far surpass a F-350 for weight and flotation with the right tires.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FillmoreFD27 View Post
    Check out our apparatus at www.newburgfirerescue.com. We use F-350 trucks, without a flatbed (standard box still intact) wich we found works the best to protect equipment. We have had excellent success with our trucks, and are able to get them to a lot of places that larger flatbeds (with duallys) cannot access. We have 200 gallon skid units in both, and they seem to be working great. Let me know if you have any other questions about the rigs, or need a vendor name. Thanks
    For 2008 Ford will have a factory F450 pickup available.

Forum Member

Exclamation Brush/grass fire unit:

Quote Originally Posted by volley410 View Post
    Here's one to consider:

http://www.fireskid.com/products.htm

I am NOT a salesperson, dealer, and in NO WAY connected with this Mfg. In my humble opinion, I don't think you NEED a "flat-bed." I consider a "skid-unit" the most practical, cost effective solution to grass/brush fires. The unit can be easily "slid" into any 1/2 ton 4x4 [or not] pickup by two people, then removed in the "off-season" so the truck can be used for other purposes. Every few years, you get a new [or newer] truck and retire the previous one...NO expensive custom-built rig that is committed to a specific use. Just a another suggestion from a "ole dandie."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure if it'd work in your area, but we've got several departments around here going with high-pressure pumps and lines (car wash style). I've seen them in action and I've been impressed. We're looking into doing both styles of pumps, side-by-side, on our skid to have both options.

The main benefits I've heard them talk about is that the higher pressure gets into the cover (we have more grass and leaf cover fires than anything) deeper and will actually blow part of it back. The other benefit is that the hose is considerably lighter and maneuverable.

I saw a picture (I don't know where now, may have been 4-Guys) of a truck with a brush guard system I was impressed with. It was integrated into the front bumper brush guard, comes around into the nerf bars, and then around the sides of the bed and into the back. Looks like a good solid structure to protect the body.

Thread Information