Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evoc

Default Evoc

I talked to a few guys from a neighboring department recently and they told me that they weren't able to take a department vehicle out for the test.

When you took evoc, did you use a department vehicle? I am wondering how much things have changed over the past few years.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The course I was on, plus the two that followed all used our Dept veh - the ambulance specifically. In fact it was highly recommended by the instructors to use the same vehicle for training and testing as we would have normally expected to use in daily operations.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only were we allowed to use a department vehicle, but we were required to. The instructor told us "no chief's buggies or utility vehicles." Most of us used an ambulance; one department brought their rescue engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

I completed my Fire Department EVOC about 4 months ago. We were required to bring our own truck for the driving test. Now granted, they also noted that you could "borrow" another companie's truck if they would let you, but that should have been done well before the day of the test. I believe one of the people in the class didn't have the ability to bring a truck since they needed them in the station (small department). They were able to use another unit to complete the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Not only were we allowed to use a department vehicle, but we were required to. The instructor told us "no chief's buggies or utility vehicles." Most of us used an ambulance; one department brought their rescue engine.
    Same here. Any vehicle that you were cleared to drive you had to be able to operate (pump, equipment location, etc).

You going to take your new KIA and go out and drive the EVOC course in it.

The drivers NEED to know how each vehicle they operate handles, brakes, turns........etc.

T.J.

Thanks for the replies...

That's how it was when I took it also. That's why I haven't been able to understand why that person told me they can't use a dept vehicle for the test. Maybe he has it backwards.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

With no information regarding the station in question, I'm going to play the Devil in this story and suggest that perhaps if it is a small station - it may not have the "luxury" of allowing a vehicle to go out of service for a full day, during testing. Just a thought.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    With no information regarding the station in question, I'm going to play the Devil in this story and suggest that perhaps if it is a small station - it may not have the "luxury" of allowing a vehicle to go out of service for a full day, during testing. Just a thought.
    I know of one school that requires all participateing departments to provide an engine but than everyone tests on another department's apparatus. It is not like you are going to be running that same apparatus your entire career, so I guess they want to make sure you have the principles down correctly, and not just know the tricks of your engine.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    This is true. We hold our training in our district so the vehicles in question are never out of service if a call comes in. On the other hand if it is a small department doing training I can see what you say happening. But they should (I hope anyway) be able to borrow a fire department vehicle at the test site that is of comparable size/weight to do the test.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

When we run the course, we ask for reserve engines from each of the regional depts. Only about 4 of our 7 depts can take a unit out of service, so we usually run with one newer crew cab engine (90's+ FL80/M2), one older Ford or Thibault (70's/80's), and one mid-size light rescue/quick response (i.e. F450 dually). No pickups or SUV's.

The course requires you to alternate between each vehicle, and the test is administered in any of the three or four units used for the course.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't care where a firefighter takes a certified EVOC course or what he/she drives to pass the drivers test. Every member must pass our own driving test for each piece of apparatus. Anything less is asking for trouble. Accidents are some of the most preventable LODD's we have, all driving must start with a quality driving program, proper attitude and driving test on specific apparatus. We do allow ambulance drivers to test on one of them as they all are the same.

Thread Information