Thread: Hi I'm Max

Forum Member

Default Hi I'm Max

I am new here, I am taking my P.A.T. for the Nokomis Volunteer Fire Department on the 19th of this month which is 2 days away and I'm VERY excited!!!!
    I have to volunteer for them for 6 months and then they will begin my Firefighter training, they pay for the school and equiptment and everything and all I have to do to repay them for that HUGE favor is to volunteer for them for 1 year after that , then I am free to go to another department if I want to, Also I am starting E.M.T. school on August 20th and I'm very excited about that as well, things are really working out for me I can't wait until I get to go to my first call!!! I won't be able to do much until I am completely done with my training but the Chief says there's still things that I can do from the truck, I can't wait!!!

Forum Member

So, this is what I am having a problem with. You will apply to volunteer with this department, they will pay for all of your training (6 months after you start, what training will you have to start to actually do the job) and they will ask you to stay for one year. At the end of this I assume you will be certified and free to apply anywhere.
    Does this department do this "favour" for everyone? What is their retention like. Are they really that willing to fork out thousands of dollars for someone who is only willing to stay for the additional year because the training was free? I did not apply to the volunteer department where I live simply because I was applying to the fulltime department at the same time and did not want them to spend a fortune training and outfitting me, only to have me leave for greener pastures.
    Is it your goal to be a volunteer firefighter with another fulltime job, or are you trying to become a fulltime firefighter? If you are hoping to become a volunteer, why would you want to leave?

I'm not trying to start anything here, I am just genuinely curious. I know how cities and townships feel about spending money on their departments (although it seems smaller departments fair out better than larger in a lot of cases), so it seems odd that they would advertise spending money on training and only asking for 1 year of service.

Just curious.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Higby916 View Post
    So, this is what I am having a problem with. You will apply to volunteer with this department, they will pay for all of your training (6 months after you start, what training will you have to start to actually do the job) and they will ask you to stay for one year. At the end of this I assume you will be certified and free to apply anywhere.
    Does this department do this "favour" for everyone? What is their retention like. Are they really that willing to fork out thousands of dollars for someone who is only willing to stay for the additional year because the training was free? I did not apply to the volunteer department where I live simply because I was applying to the fulltime department at the same time and did not want them to spend a fortune training and outfitting me, only to have me leave for greener pastures.
    Is it your goal to be a volunteer firefighter with another fulltime job, or are you trying to become a fulltime firefighter? If you are hoping to become a volunteer, why would you want to leave?

I'm not trying to start anything here, I am just genuinely curious. I know how cities and townships feel about spending money on their departments (although it seems smaller departments fair out better than larger in a lot of cases), so it seems odd that they would advertise spending money on training and only asking for 1 year of service.

Just curious.
    hi, this department does this for anyone, it is a volunteer department and all the information that I have regarding the way things work at that department, I got from the Chief, and yes you are correct, there is not much I will be able to do with no formal training but it was explained to me that the first six months you volunteer 1 shift a week and with no experience I would stay on the truck when on calls and do other things that were not completely described to me in great detail, so I really don't know what the extent of my duties would be, I was told that the department demands six months of volunteer work before they invest that much money in someone because they want to make sure that they are not wasting their time and money training someone who isn't sure they want to be a firefighter and to the best of my knowledge that is how it works, unfortunately I failed their P.A.T. so I will have to train more and try again in a few months, but when I pass I would be more than happy to write exactly what I am allowed to do and what my responsibilities are, and I called that a favor because I have no family to help with school and it is a wonderful opportunity to be able to trade work for training since I am 25 and money does not grow on a tree in my back yard, though I wish it did, and yes my goal is to eventually become a full time paid career Firefighter, im just 25 and trying to figure out the best way to get there, and financially, this seemed like the best way, Max
    Last edited by maxkolbe; 07-26-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxkolbe View Post
    hi, this department does this for anyone, it is a volunteer department and all the information that I have regarding the way things work at that department, I got from the Chief, and yes you are correct, there is not much I will be able to do with no formal training but it was explained to me that the first six months you volunteer 1 shift a week and with no experience I would stay on the truck when on calls and do other things that were not completely described to me in great detail, so I really don't know what the extent of my duties would be, I was told that the department demands six months of volunteer work before they invest that much money in someone because they want to make sure that they are not wasting their time and money training someone who isn't sure they want to be a firefighter and to the best of my knowledge that is how it works, unfortunately I failed their P.A.T. so I will have to train more and try again in a few months, but when I pass I would be more than happy to write exactly what I am allowed to do and what my responsibilities are, and I called that a favor because I have no family to help with school and it is a wonderful opportunity to be able to trade work for training since I am 25 and money does not grow on a tree in my back yard, though I wish it did, and yes my goal is to eventually become a full time paid career Firefighter, im just 25 and trying to figure out the best way to get there, and financially, this seemed like the best way, Max
    If I was a mamber of that department and saw what you wrote, you wouldn't have a chance to even get in my department. It seems to me like you are trying to get a free ride from the vollie department. It might just be my mentality but I want someone that is planning on hanging with us for the long haul to bring in instead of some one who is just trying to get training. This is not meant to get in your feelings, it is just my thoughts. If you do pass the PAT get ready for alot of hazing, for lack of better terms.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

IACOJ
    Jake

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1050major View Post
    If I was a mamber of that department and saw what you wrote, you wouldn't have a chance to even get in my department. It seems to me like you are trying to get a free ride from the vollie department. It might just be my mentality but I want someone that is planning on hanging with us for the long haul to bring in instead of some one who is just trying to get training. This is not meant to get in your feelings, it is just my thoughts. If you do pass the PAT get ready for alot of hazing, for lack of better terms.
    I agree I wouldn't let you on my dept. Yes, hazing get ready for some *****. It will be tough and they won't go easy on you. I've ssen grown men cry because of hazing. They don't take newbies lightly.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Forum Member

Interesting, thanks for the answer. i can understand the lack of money, that's for sure. You may find yourself with a career that allows you to stay with the volunteer department as well (I choose not to condone or condemn two hatting). My concerns were retention for the department. I wonder if their goal is to buy loyalty. Of course they would have to train you to their standards no matter what, but paying for your certification does seem over and above what is necessary (which is very nice of the department).
    My concerns would be cohesiveness and retention, but of course if this is what they choose to do, it must work for them.

get to work on your physical abilities, there are lots of suggestions on this forum for you. Crossfit and powerlifting are two great options. And yes, get ready to be picked on.

Forum Member

Hello from Indiana and welcome to the firehouse forum.

NEW Anatomy Quick Reference Card

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 1050major View Post
    "Seek yea first the kingdom of God and everything else will be given unto you"
    with my faith and trust in God, I can admit my mistakes and live a shameless life, I am 25, young and do not know everything but I do know that friendship is built on trust and honesty is the foundation for trust, and Firefighters are a family, brothers and sisters who help each other and stay close, and if I came across a department with that sort of mentality ,then I would begin to search for another one to work for, I will continue to pray for you, God bless

Thread Information