MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighters Tear Apart Wrong House

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...l.html?taf=bos

It is bad enough that the fire department executed their ventilation training on the wrong structure, but could they AT LEAST have been properly attired when filmed? Their ladder practices are atrocious and what kind of homemade roof ladder is that?

It would be funny if it did not reflect so poorly on every other firefighter out here trying to uphold the dignity and nobility of our profession and if it could not have so easily resulted in firefighter (or at least wannabe) injury or death.

MembersZone Subscriber

I bet if we hand national standards that never would have happened...LOL

Before you all start beating up on the brothers ask yourself...have you ever had a royal screw up in your life.
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

I read the name of the department. That's pretty funny!
    "BRAINTREE FD"

We had a guy on my department (before I was hired) who ventilated a porch on a structure fire. Never met him, he was hired somewhere else prior to my being hired. I could just imagine the crap the guy got from all the other guy's.

AZFF
    Last edited by AZFF25; 07-17-2007 at 09:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    We had a guy on my department (before I was hired) who ventilated a porch on a structure fire. Never met him, he was hired somewhere else prior to my being hired. I could just imagine the crap the guy got from all the other guy's.
    AZFF

I think i know that guy..his name was chris Connelly became the chief of a really big department....LOL
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

They went to the wrong house, yeah, but that is not the FD on the roof that you see. That is a board up company covering up the holes. Except for the wrong house, all of the cities that border Boston pretty much have their stuff together. When you first see the headline and then the picture of the house I thought they were doing live burns but apparently they had a fire there not long ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyroknight View Post

It is bad enough that the fire department executed their ventilation training on the wrong structure, but could they AT LEAST have been properly attired when filmed? Their ladder practices are atrocious and what kind of homemade roof ladder is that?

It would be funny if it did not reflect so poorly on every other firefighter out here trying to uphold the dignity and nobility of our profession and if it could not have so easily resulted in firefighter (or at least wannabe) injury or death.

Those were not Braintree jakes... they were the contractors from the boardup company hired to patch the windows and holes in the roof.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyroknight View Post

Uh, yeah, that would be the board-up company, not the fire dept.

Your mistake would be funny if it did not reflect the way many "brothers" on this board fall all over each other to be the first to wag a finger and say, "Tsk! tsk!-SAFETY!" in response to some other firefighters' video.

Would you like to try on Braintree Fire's donkey suit, or did you bring your own?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Those were not Braintree jakes... they were the contractors from the boardup company hired to patch the windows and holes in the roof.
    Capt. Gonzo is right. That guy owns the board up business and is also a spark. He is based out of the Dorchester neighborhood in Boston, has more radios than the Secret Service and usually is at every fire we respond to. He drives some sort of truck that looks like fire department apparatus but is not. I think his name might be O'Neal. Anyway, that's who he is.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, I need a history lesson. Where'd the term 'spark' come from
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

"Spark" is a New England term for a fire buff.

There is a club for fire buffs.. the Boston Sparks Association. Many of them are part of the Metro radio system and have been known to travel all over the MetroBoston, MetroWest and other areas to "spark" at fires.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg View Post
    Uh, yeah, that would be the board-up company, not the fire dept.

Your mistake would be funny if it did not reflect the way many "brothers" on this board fall all over each other to be the first to wag a finger and say, "Tsk! tsk!-SAFETY!" in response to some other firefighters' video.

Would you like to try on Braintree Fire's donkey suit, or did you bring your own?

Da-yum. OWNED.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Other than the navy term for "Spark" or "Sparks" meaning the dorks in the radio room, "Sparky" is commonly used as a somewhat derogatory statement, as in Not Very Bright, as was the case of an officer I worked with in the Army. He was a "bright" new 2Lt with Recce Sqn doing E&E stuff. Took shelter in an old barn, full of hay, and decided to light up a candle.... you can guess the rest of the story.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

That is damn funny, the homeowners will probably make out well in the end at the expense of the fire department's insurance company. All new roof and other upgrades in addition to the other planned repairs. Kind of reminds me of the time a drunk ran into a broken car that I had parked on the street waiting for GoodWill to take it away as a donation. I ended up getting a chunk of cash from his insurance company that was about 10X's what the tax deduction would have made me. Three losers in that case, the guy went to jail for DUI, the insurance company had to make a pay out, and GoodWill lost a decent donation.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Had an Lt in the Engine in my house who made the mistake of having a hurst tool drill while working in the truck on a car that was NOT abandoned! I would have paid to see the look on his face when the owner came up and asked what happened to her car.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Had an Lt in the Engine in my house who made the mistake of having a hurst tool drill while working in the truck on a car that was NOT abandoned! I would have paid to see the look on his face when the owner came up and asked what happened to her car.
    I could see that happening at our house, some of the guys drive hooptey-mobiles in far worse cosmetic shape that any of the donated practice vehicles.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked with a guy who went home for lunch one day to find a team of roofers in the process of finishing up putting a spanking new roof on his house.

They were supposed to be next door.

After he got over the initial shock,he told them thank you and come back any time!

Hook & Can

Well, sheesh...whaddya expect from a bunch of Truckies?!?!?!

Just kidding, guys.

Forum Member

Smile Priceless

Doing the job as a Firefighters 32,000.00

Vent Saw 1,200.00

Roof Ladder 250.00

Venting the wrong Roof Priceless
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    "Spark" is a New England term for a fire buff.

There is a club for fire buffs.. the Boston Sparks Association. Many of them are part of the Metro radio system and have been known to travel all over the MetroBoston, MetroWest and other areas to "spark" at fires.
    Chief, thanks for the info
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I've got pictures of a car after that happening. Still waiting for final decision from the insurance company.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Not the first or last time for this . My city has 1,000's of vacants, some of which we use to cut roofs . I've heard of one cut by mistake, but remember we might have 10 vacants on the same street, was it 46 or 42 ? Both vacant.

This one my guess would be, "which house we going to"? " you know the one we had that electrical fire in a while back" ok !

hey a sheet of plywood and a bundle of shingles does it.

Forum Member

my question is will anyone lose there job over this... everyone makes mistakes and yes this was a huge screw up but we all know how the politics of the fire service are. whats going to happen to the CO in charge of this drill
    22 House protecting our first due and yours!

There are alot of heros in the fire service most are in the front yard!

Firefighter/EMT-I

Engine 222
    Putin The Wet Stuff On The Red Stuff!

Thread Information