Forum Member

Talking Yuma Proving Grounds

Hey everyone:

I was hoping someone could tell me the work schedule for Yuma Proving Grounds Fire Department. I have heard 2/4, 3/4 and 2/3. Does anyone know the actual answer?

Thanks for your help,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted post
    Last edited by bigred513; 10-20-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Forum Member

Default Yuma Proving ground

I did not put in for it. I thought it was closer, but is actually about 3 hours away. I heard they were on a 2/4 schedule and under private contract. That is just what I heard. I did apply for Tracy Army Depot in Stocton, CA. They also have 5 openings. Email said my rating was a 96. Not sure if that is good or not, as veterans will recieve 5 points extra.

Please let me know if your friend gets back to you.

Thanks

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted post
    Last edited by bigred513; 10-20-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member

I applied for Tracy from usajobs.com. I recieved an email saying I need to fax the required certs to still be considered. I think they are going to re-open the announcement. they are 2 on 3 off.

Private contract is what I do at Air Force Plant 42. We work for a contractor that pays us to work at an air force base. DOD certs are required and we work 2 on 4 off. Starting pay for FF/EMT-B is $25.90 per hour. However, the last 8 hours are only paid if our sleep is interupted. That does not happen too often.

I had heard Yuma was 2 on 4 off or maybe it was White Sands Missile Base. Bye the way, DOD fire jobs can take months to hear back from. I would guess at least 6 weeks.

Kev

Default Yuma Proving Ground

Yuma Proving Ground is a Major test center for the Army. The Base is over a millon acres or 2000sq mi. The Dept has 3 stations, 2 structure and one cross staffed airfield, we are always hiring, the dept is civil service, not contracted, 72 hr week, runs are on and off post, 26 mi from yuma.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just applied for a position on their last announcement, it said that my resume was forwarded to the selecting official. I hope i get selected being that i have all my certs and im a gs-4 at a Marine Corps base.

Forum Member

Punto-

What Marine base do you work at? I here they are very good to there firefighters. Miramar is opening a 3rd station soon and I might put in for a job.

Stay safe,

K

MembersZone Subscriber

Im at Camp Lejeune, its not a bad place to work at. They are very good on their training and keeping up with every aspect of regulations. I dont want to leave this place but my current divorce cirumstances are making me being that my x is moving to AZ with my kids and im just following to be with them. So its not like im moving cause of the job, i love it and i love the people here too.

Default ypg

i have worked there for 7 yrs. and I like it. it's 24on24 off then one kelly every 2 weeks this equals a 72 hr. work week. pay is pretty good better than most depts. not to hard to promote and a good work schueld I think. lots of good guys working there. Plan on doing my whole time here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yuma Proving Grnd FD

I have to agree with GOTSAND. YPGFD is a good place to work. I have worked at several Army bases as a civilian firefighter. I have to admit that YPGFD is a good department. Most of the guys are awesome. I cant say any bad comments about YPG, accept is it too damn HOT there in the summer.

"BAMA"
    TonyBlaze
    Career Fireghter/EMT-B
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by puntorotary View Post
    Im at Camp Lejeune, its not a bad place to work at. They are very good on their training and keeping up with every aspect of regulations. I dont want to leave this place but my current divorce cirumstances are making me being that my x is moving to AZ with my kids and im just following to be with them. So its not like im moving cause of the job, i love it and i love the people here too.
    Hey puntorotary,

Any info on how a guy with 10 years on as a paid part-timer can get his foot in the door at Camp Lejeune? or for that matter any DoD fire job...have applied and posted resume on USAjobs and Dept of the Navy websites... but no avail... any help would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug7899 View Post
    Hey puntorotary,

Any info on how a guy with 10 years on as a paid part-timer can get his foot in the door at Camp Lejeune? or for that matter any DoD fire job...have applied and posted resume on USAjobs and Dept of the Navy websites... but no avail... any help would be great.

Thanks
    Doug.....Sounds to my like you just aren't doing something right on your applications. I know you have been trying like hell for the last year or two to get on a DoD department.....I wish I still worked at APG and still had my contacts at NECPOC that I could have review your apps, something just doesn't sound kosher, and I rather suspect you are either filling out your apps incorrectly by either over-indulging them with info or the opposite by not giving enough. But then again I could also be wrong and there are boo-koo applicants and you are being beaten out by veterans. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about trying to get hired nowadays....Back when I came on board (1995) I was still in the age of the good old form SF-712 which was a handwritten application submitted with a resume......Then when I transferred to the PNSY, it was with an SF-712 that was filled out electronically (PDF format!!! WOW! HIGH-TECH!.....)

I dont envy anyone trying to get on these days. I would suggest learning all you can about the DoD hiring process, RESUMIX, and how the computers process applications. Perhaps if you have any friends on board (especially fire chiefs or persons with a Gov't HRO background) you could ask them for guidance, which I assume you have already done.

Also keep in mind downsizing is the norm these days. I would not try for anything within the Philadelphia/Southeastern Pa./NJ/Delaware (Dix, McGuire, Dover, Ft Monmouth, Picatinny, NASJRB Willow Grove, Tobyhanna, Lakehurst, etc etc ect) area as NASJRB Willow Grove and Monmouth will be closing in FY2011, and those guys will be jumping at ANYTHING that comes up, and I dare say they will get it. Also rumor has it that NAVSSES Philly (formerly the PNSY) will be getting another downsizing and losing more manning.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

FWDbuff is right, there has to be something missing in your resume, make sure you use keywords suchs anything fire related, pulling hose,ventilation,hazmat,ladders,and things of that nature,even if it sounds redundant. You almost have to have VA preferance cause its hard to get in there whithout it nowadays.

Thread Information