Default heres the story

ok guys heres the real story im the firefighter that this whole thing is about. was it the absolute best choice to quit? i guess we'll see!!!! what happened was i called out early monday morning becuase i knew my fire co was gonna be on scene awhile securing the crash site.(unfortunatly i live in a rural area where we only have state police 3 troopers on duty on a shift for a very large area, and there was still the threat of a haz mat situation and we were told to stay on scene until the plane was remove wich was about 22 hours after dispatch) that was to answer the questions about why were on scene for so long. when i arrived to work tues morn my supervisor handed me and the other firefighter a 2 day suspension along with making other comments and i figured i didnt have to take his verbal abuse towards me or the fire co. so i walked out . as far as my attendance goes i had missed one other day due to a dwelling fire and then this plane crash. Have i taken a couple of personal days? yes 4 or 5 and also a week off when my brother passed away and 3 days when i broke a toe at the job. My point is if I would have called in sick I seriously dont think I would have been suspended, but becuase I called in and told them I was on an emergency scene my supervisor (who has already showed his discontent for volenteer firefighting) flexed his muscles. now there was one more comment i wanted to reply to. on the scene of the plane crash the reporter that did the story was asking me some questions about my volenteering and she asked how my bosses would react. i told her i wasnt sure. she asked me to let her know if there were any repercussions so after what happened tues morning i gave her a call. when she came to do the interview i was still in my work clothes being that it was about 25 min after i left the job and was about to go do some side work for a friend. and as far as spitting the chew out i dont touch the stuff. i made sure i finished my ciggerette before the interview. so guys thats the scoop am i right for quitting?????? it was my morals and pride for what i do that made me make that decision. and two more things, i am trying to get on a paid department. and god bless all of us paid or unpaid firefighter thank you brothers

Volunteer FF/1R

Default ..

The company I work for has made it clear to me that they would never fire me for missing work due to being on fire calls. However, my boss made it very clear that "missing work for any reason could be detrimental to an employee's advancement potential." Although I don't completely agree with him, I do see the employer's perspective. I work at a warehouse where it's me and another guy on 2nd shift. If one of us not at work, it really screws the other guy. I hate being that guy!

I did miss an entire shift once last year when a severe thunderstorm/possible tornado tore up a bunch of our fire district. I called my coworker throughout the day, and made sure that he didn't need me to come in. Luckily, it was a slow day at my real job!

That being said I never leave work for a call, unless it's close to the end of a shift. I do occasionally come in late due to a call, but I always call and let the boss know. On top of that, I get paid pretty good money to be at work. I don't get paid very much to be on a fire call. I know that I didn't join the FD to make money, but sometimes you have to weigh what's more important...making a fire call for a trash can on fire, or having a job to pay the bills.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fftcarney View Post
    ok guys heres the real story im the firefighter that this whole thing is about. was it the absolute best choice to quit? i guess we'll see!!!! what happened was i called out early monday morning becuase i knew my fire co was gonna be on scene awhile securing the crash site.(unfortunatly i live in a rural area where we only have state police 3 troopers on duty on a shift for a very large area, and there was still the threat of a haz mat situation and we were told to stay on scene until the plane was remove wich was about 22 hours after dispatch) that was to answer the questions about why were on scene for so long. when i arrived to work tues morn my supervisor handed me and the other firefighter a 2 day suspension along with making other comments and i figured i didnt have to take his verbal abuse towards me or the fire co. so i walked out . as far as my attendance goes i had missed one other day due to a dwelling fire and then this plane crash. Have i taken a couple of personal days? yes 4 or 5 and also a week off when my brother passed away and 3 days when i broke a toe at the job. My point is if I would have called in sick I seriously dont think I would have been suspended, but becuase I called in and told them I was on an emergency scene my supervisor (who has already showed his discontent for volenteer firefighting) flexed his muscles. now there was one more comment i wanted to reply to. on the scene of the plane crash the reporter that did the story was asking me some questions about my volenteering and she asked how my bosses would react. i told her i wasnt sure. she asked me to let her know if there were any repercussions so after what happened tues morning i gave her a call. when she came to do the interview i was still in my work clothes being that it was about 25 min after i left the job and was about to go do some side work for a friend. and as far as spitting the chew out i dont touch the stuff. i made sure i finished my ciggerette before the interview. so guys thats the scoop am i right for quitting?????? it was my morals and pride for what i do that made me make that decision. and two more things, i am trying to get on a paid department. and god bless all of us paid or unpaid firefighter thank you brothers
    So.......

You quit your full-time paying job to stand around a pile of trash and perform a police function? One that the cops were getting paid handsomely for? (I have been to two plane crashes. Cops, including me, were falling over themselves). This was not an emergency detail. This was babysitting for free when others were getting paid at least $50 per hour.

You missed about 15 days of work and they weren't going to discipline you? Over what period of time?
    Were you right for quitting? You were a fool for quitting.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 07-20-2007 at 12:21 PM.

the point i think your missing is that if i had so many unexused absenses y didnt they reprimand me sooner. why is it that the decided to suspend me and the other firefighter after we called out for this incident. and if it was based solely on my attendance why was he also suspended he just started about a month ago and has only missed 1 other day for a dwelling fire??????????

and un fortunatly we are not lucky enough to have a local police dept. to babysit things like this

Default Who ******ed In Your Cheerio's

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    So.......

You quit your full-time paying job to stand around a pile of trash and perform a police function? One that the cops were getting paid handsomely for? (I have been to two plane crashes. Cops, including me, were falling over themselves). This was not an emergency detail. This was babysitting for free when others were getting paid at least $50 per hour.

You missed about 15 days of work this year and they weren't going to discipline you?

Thank you for your fine example of brotherhood. I am not really sure where you come form, oh, wait, yes I do, because I'm from Roxbury, and where I come from, a clown like you would have been pushed off the black river bank, so you could cool off, rather than be allowed to run around loose ranting and raving like a fool.

This man is a fire fighter, and simply by that virtue, he is a brother, and we don't trash our brothers, because we are firefighters, and thats what we do.

Calling him a fool because he left a job that was treating him wrong, and ridiculing him and his brothers? No, I'd thank him for his principles. I'll bet you were present while they crucified Jesus, only to deny him x3?

Now I feel better. Tim may have been right or wrong, deserved a whack or not, but he earned your respect and mine when he was born into firefighting, and your silly ****** and moans are truly indicative of evreything that is wrong with the profession.

Have a nice day.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    So.......

You missed about 15 days of work this year and they weren't going to discipline you?

George, where did you get that it was THIS YEAR? I read fftcarney's post 2 or 3 times and didn't see that he indicated the period of time over which he missed those 15 days of work.

Been a long day though, and an even longer week so it is possible I've missed something.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    George, where did you get that it was THIS YEAR? I read fftcarney's post 2 or 3 times and didn't see that he indicated the period of time over which he missed those 15 days of work.

Been a long day though, and an even longer week so it is possible I've missed something.
    Looking at the article it says July 17 2007 as the date. Who knows though.

My week ended yesterday. It's a rough life, but somebody has to do it.

Too bad I have to move all my furniture and stuff this weekend.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Looking at the article it says July 17 2007 as the date. Who knows though.
    What article? What the hellll are ya talkin' about? LOL Stop trying to confuse me, Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdfff33
    My week ended yesterday. It's a rough life, but somebody has to do it.
    ******* LOL.

TGIFF tomorrow is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdfff33
    Too bad I have to move all my furniture and stuff this weekend.
    A new home to go with the new baby?

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

What article? What the hellll are ya talkin' about? LOL Stop trying to confuse me, Ryan!

******* LOL.

TGIFF tomorrow is all I can say.

A new home to go with the new baby?

The Article in the very first post.

Yes a new home to go with the new baby. You got it. It would be much easier if someone else was moving it, but thats how the military rolls!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Thought it was just a video, guess I spaced it that there was an article too. Told ya it's been a long week *sigh* LOL

I'll go back and read it later ... time to get some supper and see if I can get some brain power back

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftcarney View Post
    Mr. Carney, sorry to hear about your situation. From the article and from what you have posted, it seems to be a problem with your immediate supervisor. Did you think to take this to his/her boss? I know that this is an emotional issue with you, but I think that I would have tried to find out how far this "disdain for volunteerism" goes in your previous employment. What does the other FF (that was suspended) say about all this?

Whatever happens in this situation, we all need to remember that our families and our source of income always come first. In your case, I think that it would only take one firefighter to secure the scene. Hopefully this could be accomplished with someone that did not have to report to work the next day. If I were involved with some kind of "life saving" situation, I think that I would have stayed and then taken the two day suspension. But just to "baby sit" this plane????

Anyway, my rant off for now. Take care and good luck in your future.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

You quit. You made the choice to end your job at this company. It has 0 to do with that company now. It's all about you. End of story.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

It was probably a poor assumptionon my part. When people discuss their time off from the job, most would discuss what is happening in the current year.

I edited my above post accordingly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking at this from being a former business owner and firefighter I easily see both sides of the coin. For nine years I owned and ran a towing company and most of my employees over the years were involved in fire, EMS, or police in some way several from my own department. With three tow trucks and a lowboy on the road running an average of 35-45 runs a day most of them from 6a to 6p, I relied on my employees to be there when they were supposed to be and on time. My customers counted on us to deliver. If we could not deliver, it cost me money. Many nights I fought fire or work an extrication beside my employee. Many mornings I walked into the house, took a shower and went to work. I did not expect everyone to put in as much time as I did. I would allow an employee to be reasonably late if he had been on an extended call, but not blow a half days work or a full days work. I don't know if its a lack of discipline, laziness or caudling but I had an employee quit because I would not allow him to take off to go to a concert when he called two hours before his shift. He is 30 now and lives with his mother and has not had a job in two years. I had a 25 year old employees mother call me and inform me how inappropriate it was that I wrote up her son for being late for only the second time in 2 months after all it was only 30 minutes. Even within my own department we have people who feel the department should be the highest priority, they usually burn out in a few years. I sold my business in May and have enjoyed running a few more calls, but my priorities remain the same as they have for the sixteen years I've been a member of this department: God, Family, Work, Friends, Department.

Forum Member

My understanding from reading newspaper articles is that the FF lived in PA but worked in NJ. PA labor laws do not apply in this instance.

I'm in nearby Carbon County PA and also work in NJ, so I cannot expect the PA law to cover me if I'm out on a call when work time comes. For that reason, I have a personal rule that states that I do not respond to calls after 5:00 AM mon-fri unless it is a major incident. Then, if I do respond, I call my employer from the scene as early as possible. I go to work late if the call ends before noon. I have a 1 hour commute to the work place. In the last 3 years I have taken 1 day off (I was given a sick day) for a major structure fire and I took 3 hours off for a residence fire (left work, fought fire, returned to work). My employer is very understanding and I have been an employee here for over 20 years but I do not abuse this privledge and I never would miss a day from work securing a small plane crash site, this is what fire police are for. Hey, but that's just me. I think a lousy job that pays is better than being unemployed and not able to collect unemployment but I'm old fashoned.

I do volunteer fire and rescue. I will respond to plane crashes and in fact did one a few weeks ago for S&R. I will also respond to calls for downed wires and stay until the location is secure. I will not miss any work to pump wet basements or to baby sit an incident site after the emergency is over. I'm sure most on this board do the same but I know guys that put fire company activities first above everything. Even though I'm not available during work hours, I still manage to make over 50% of the calls we get. Yes, I have missed some big fires and crashes but my +50% rate is one of the better numbers for any non-officer in my group.
    Last edited by thomas15; 07-20-2007 at 12:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

New Jersey Boom & Erectors South South Drive Scotrun, PA 18355 Phone: (570) 620-1546

Forum Member

I stand corrected!

Forum Member

TN. has a law that roughly states an emplorier can not fire a emploee for being late to work for answering a call. My question is this, if it had envolved his boss and he had been at work would his boss had made comments about him not being on that call, (ie. bosses house had caught fire) Just asking. I have a good relations with my full time job. I have come in late and left early for calls, sometimes I make up my time missed and sometimes not. My chief has also told me to leave a scene to go to work because their is enough man power on scene.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been paged out for "traffic control" so our 3 county dep's do nt have to stop petroling. Yes 3 are all that are out in the county at night
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD748 View Post
    TN. has a law that roughly states an emplorier can not fire a emploee for being late to work for answering a call. My question is this, if it had envolved his boss and he had been at work would his boss had made comments about him not being on that call, (ie. bosses house had caught fire) Just asking. I have a good relations with my full time job. I have come in late and left early for calls, sometimes I make up my time missed and sometimes not. My chief has also told me to leave a scene to go to work because their is enough man power on scene.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yeah, but in Tennessee they can fire you if you don't go to work after the call because you were tired.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Yeah, but in Tennessee they can fire you if you don't go to work after the call because you were tired.
    Employer's do and should have the right to hire and fire whomever they want, but the question here is, should they? Should they force a man to leave (suspending him and then berating him counts as forced out) for being on a call?

Should a volunteer be penalized for being a volunteer, by a boss that lives in his fire / rescue district? A boss whose taxes are appreciably lower because he is served by volunteers?

Shouldn't there have been a notice not to before it became a serious issue? (And no, there was not one).

The firefighter chose to leave, but did he really have a choice? Would he still have had a job next week, or month? Or would his boss have found issues to document his inevitable termination?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    If you abuse it yes.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Forum Member

he quit, he was not fired.

There is no law that stops a person from quitting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Your right he did quit but I wonder, what if anything would've been said if his bosses house had been on fire. Not trying to start anything but I don't think we know enough to coment. Can he get the other firefighter to coment on this? We all know that some people don't even thing about us till we are needed.

Thread Information