Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

My understanding from reading newspaper articles is that the FF lived in PA but worked in NJ. PA labor laws do not apply in this instance.

I'm in nearby Carbon County PA and also work in NJ, so I cannot expect the PA law to cover me if I'm out on a call when work time comes. For that reason, I have a personal rule that states that I do not respond to calls after 5:00 AM mon-fri unless it is a major incident. Then, if I do respond, I call my employer from the scene as early as possible. I go to work late if the call ends before noon. I have a 1 hour commute to the work place. In the last 3 years I have taken 1 day off (I was given a sick day) for a major structure fire and I took 3 hours off for a residence fire (left work, fought fire, returned to work). My employer is very understanding and I have been an employee here for over 20 years but I do not abuse this privledge and I never would miss a day from work securing a small plane crash site, this is what fire police are for. Hey, but that's just me. I think a lousy job that pays is better than being unemployed and not able to collect unemployment but I'm old fashoned.

I do volunteer fire and rescue. I will respond to plane crashes and in fact did one a few weeks ago for S&R. I will also respond to calls for downed wires and stay until the location is secure. I will not miss any work to pump wet basements or to baby sit an incident site after the emergency is over. I'm sure most on this board do the same but I know guys that put fire company activities first above everything. Even though I'm not available during work hours, I still manage to make over 50% of the calls we get. Yes, I have missed some big fires and crashes but my +50% rate is one of the better numbers for any non-officer in my group.
    Last edited by thomas15; 07-20-2007 at 11:54 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

New Jersey Boom & Erectors South South Drive Scotrun, PA 18355 Phone: (570) 620-1546

Forum Member

I stand corrected!

TN. has a law that roughly states an emplorier can not fire a emploee for being late to work for answering a call. My question is this, if it had envolved his boss and he had been at work would his boss had made comments about him not being on that call, (ie. bosses house had caught fire) Just asking. I have a good relations with my full time job. I have come in late and left early for calls, sometimes I make up my time missed and sometimes not. My chief has also told me to leave a scene to go to work because their is enough man power on scene.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been paged out for "traffic control" so our 3 county dep's do nt have to stop petroling. Yes 3 are all that are out in the county at night
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Quote Originally Posted by GFD748 View Post
    TN. has a law that roughly states an emplorier can not fire a emploee for being late to work for answering a call. My question is this, if it had envolved his boss and he had been at work would his boss had made comments about him not being on that call, (ie. bosses house had caught fire) Just asking. I have a good relations with my full time job. I have come in late and left early for calls, sometimes I make up my time missed and sometimes not. My chief has also told me to leave a scene to go to work because their is enough man power on scene.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yeah, but in Tennessee they can fire you if you don't go to work after the call because you were tired.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Yeah, but in Tennessee they can fire you if you don't go to work after the call because you were tired.
    Employer's do and should have the right to hire and fire whomever they want, but the question here is, should they? Should they force a man to leave (suspending him and then berating him counts as forced out) for being on a call?

Should a volunteer be penalized for being a volunteer, by a boss that lives in his fire / rescue district? A boss whose taxes are appreciably lower because he is served by volunteers?

Shouldn't there have been a notice not to before it became a serious issue? (And no, there was not one).

The firefighter chose to leave, but did he really have a choice? Would he still have had a job next week, or month? Or would his boss have found issues to document his inevitable termination?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    If you abuse it yes.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

he quit, he was not fired.

There is no law that stops a person from quitting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Your right he did quit but I wonder, what if anything would've been said if his bosses house had been on fire. Not trying to start anything but I don't think we know enough to coment. Can he get the other firefighter to coment on this? We all know that some people don't even thing about us till we are needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD748 View Post
    Your right he did quit but I wonder, what if anything would've been said if his bosses house had been on fire. Not trying to start anything but I don't think we know enough to coment. Can he get the other firefighter to coment on this? We all know that some people don't even thing about us till we are needed.
    Yes you are trying to start something. It didn't happen therefore, it is irrelevant. I know plenty because the person involved posted. I, and others are dealing in the real world with facts. You want to play "Fantasy Fire Fighting" with nonsensical hypotheticals.

My pager has an on/off knob.

Shayne
    "Being talked to death is a terrible way to die"

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Yes you are trying to start something. It didn't happen therefore, it is irrelevant. I know plenty because the person involved posted. I, and others are dealing in the real world with facts. You want to play "Fantasy Fire Fighting" with nonsensical hypotheticals.
    I'm glad you live in a perfect world. I just asked a question. Sorry you didn't understand

well i appreciate all and i mean all of these kind words of support from my fellow brothers across the country(somewhat sarcastic). a few days have passed and ive let the pot be stirred and settle. me quitting really isnt a big deal im not trying to sound like i dont need the money, im in a situation where ive accomplished the task of not really having alot if bills. so me quiting isnt really that big of an issue for me. my actions are something i have to deal with, and i have enough confidence in my skills that ill have another job in no time at all. i am fairly new to the fire service compared to some of you, but should my dedication to my fire co. be ridiculed?? yes i could've asked my chief to be released but under the circumstances i felt the need to stay. it may sound like it was just babysitting a hunk of garbage, but regardless we(meaning my fire co.) were told to secure the scene and instead of other members having to stay a select few of us choose to stay to free up other members who cant afford to miss work. the other firefighter who also was suspended happens to need the money a little more than i do,and thats why he choose to eat the 2 day suspension. the company that i worked for well in my opinion is trying to use my attendance as the reason for the suspension. well my point is that if i ve missed so many so called unexused days why weren't any actions taken prior. im not trying to point fingers but there are alot more co-workers that took alot more time off then me and no actions were taken. they got caught behind the 8 ball and once they realized they were wrong for suspending me for being on a major inncident they grabbed at the next best thing. like i said prior to this post if i would have called out sick instead of calling out for a fire co. related inncident i honestly dont think i wouldve have been suspended. with all that being said i thank all of my fellow brothers who supported my action wether i was right or wrong. and for the ones who ridiculed me well i guess your from somewhere else where brotherhood doesn't exist right, wrong, or indifferent

Forum Member

George so now that we know the other guy was also suspended I guess I was right to say the company was being unfair to these employees as stated in my previous post. 1 firefighter maybe 2 ..ll no I dont think so. The company is a bully. I bet your attitude would change if your boss said something negative about you volunteering or gave you a couple days off.

Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    I bet your attitude would change if your boss said something negative about you volunteering or gave you a couple days off.
    If I am not mistaken, I do believe that George does volunteer. That being said, he is wise enough, and mature enough to understand the following:

1. His volunteer Dept. does not pay his mortgage or his utility bills, or place food on his table.

2. His full-time employer DOES pay for these things by means of a salary.

3. In exchange for said salary, George provides his employer with special services and the labor required to accomplish the goals set by his employer.

4. That he needs to be 100% for his full-time job, because thats where his moral obligations lie.

Therefore, his attitude changing is a moot point.

In the meantime, I reside somewhat close to where this incident occurred. Apparently these two knuckleheads made it a very bad habit to take in each and every run they possibly could, costing their employer thousands of dollars. They were warned numerous times to be at work on time, every time. Really people, would it have been too much for these guys to approach the incident commander (of the pile of non-burning trash incident) at 5am or so, and say "Hey, we need to get to work, can we get released and get trasnport back to the station?"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    George so now that we know the other guy was also suspended I guess I was right to say the company was being unfair to these employees as stated in my previous post. 1 firefighter maybe 2 ..ll no I dont think so. The company is a bully. I bet your attitude would change if your boss said something negative about you volunteering or gave you a couple days off.
    We do not know squat about the other guy, except that he got suspended. For example, we know nothing about his attendance record or work habits. We do not even know what his job title is. So, as I said before, it is not even a factor in this discussion.

As far as my attitude, I am a volunteer. Have been for a long time. Not anywhere near as active as I used to be. But I don't care what the circumstances, I will not jeopardize my full-time, feed my famiy job for the volunteer work for any reason. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

In the meantime, I reside somewhat close to where this incident occurred. Apparently these two knuckleheads made it a very bad habit to take in each and every run they possibly could, costing their employer thousands of dollars. They were warned numerous times to be at work on time, every time. Really people, would it have been too much for these guys to approach the incident commander (of the pile of non-burning trash incident) at 5am or so, and say "Hey, we need to get to work, can we get released and get trasnport back to the station?"
    Well....there you go!!

I know that this is just "hear-say", but it sounds sensible to me. It would be the best explanation for the company to do what they did. What we need now is for these two firefighters to come in here and tell us their story (and I do mean the "whole" story) and then we can put this to rest.

Then again, we could just keep speculating until something else comes along that we can talk about.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

In the States that have laws to protect firefighters from being let go for missing work for emegencies, just means they will look for other things to let you go for. After watching the video, it actual sounds like he was given a 2 day suspension, he was the one to choose to quit, so it doesn't sound like he was actually fire, unless I missed something.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Let me see if I have this right. This guys boss warned him repeatedly about being late or missing work. He chose to go on and stay at every call he could and missed work on STANDYBY calls or nuisance calls. When his boss suspended him he quit his job.

Okay, my thoughts.

When I was chief I told people I understood there would be times they wouldn't be able to respond. I made it clear family first, job second, FD third. I understand that being a volunteer doesn't pay the billls and there has to be priorities.

This whole thing seems like a guy who had his priorities all fouled up. Unless he lives with his parents his life is going to get exciting soon.

FyredUp

Thread Information