Quote Originally Posted by ltlredcorvette View Post
If he loves firefighting so much, why isn't he trying for a paid position? I've seen enough volunteers who just use their pagers to get out of school or work that it is hard to believe that if firefighting is his passion, that he doesn't make that his full-time, paid job. I did.
Unfortunately in the area where I live, when a full-time paid department is hiring the ratio is usually about 5000 candidates for 5 openings and that may be the case of this individual. Or maybe he just enjoys being a volunteer firefighter--there's nothing wrong with that. When I became a volunteer firefighter 5 1/2 years ago, I was working full-time as a dispatcher. One time, I called 2 hours before my shift to let them know I was going to be about 10 minutes late and when I got to work I was accused of being late for going to a fire call. The stupid thing was that A)my department had not been paged out on any fire calls and B)if my department had been paged out, my dispatch center would have done the paging. I had decided when I started firefighting(and let my fire department know) that any page that came in within a certain time period of me having to be in dispatch, I would not be responding just so I could keep in good standing at my full time job. After a year of juggling dispatching and firefighting, I quit dispatching and found another full time job, not because I couldn't handle dispatching but because of the lack of support that I got from my own dispatch center. If I asked for a day off (well in advance with plenty of personal vacation time) to go to an EMT class, my leave request would be denied and given to someone else. My shift schedule would be changed at the last minute so that I would have to miss my EMT class or my Thursday night fire training. Unfortunately, I worked for supervisors that were unsupportive of those kinds of things. After a year of struggling to be able to get EMT and Fire certifications, I changed jobs. So I can certainly relate to this firefighter leaving if he decided he needed a job that understood and supported volunteer firefighters.