Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    22

    Default FF let go from his job after being on a call



  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    I watched the video. I can envision a scenario where the supervisor had his fill of an employees poor attendance and got angry and said some things he probably shouldn't have said. I think what clearly needs to be understood here is that a man gave up his full-time job-he quit, he was not fired-opting instead for an unpaid, very part-time position.

    That is childish, foolish behavior.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Question Gotta be more to the story....

    If he loves firefighting so much, why isn't he trying for a paid position? I've seen enough volunteers who just use their pagers to get out of school or work that it is hard to believe that if firefighting is his passion, that he doesn't make that his full-time, paid job. I did.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I watched the video. I can envision a scenario where the supervisor had his fill of an employees poor attendance and got angry and said some things he probably shouldn't have said. I think what clearly needs to be understood here is that a man gave up his full-time job-he quit, he was not fired-opting instead for an unpaid, very part-time position.

    That is childish, foolish behavior.
    George I have never commented on one of your qoutes before but are you understanding they gave two firefighters a 2 day suspension. This is not just one isolated fireman. I could understand if it was just this one firefighter (Maybe). But 2, I would side with the firefighters on this incident. I think the other firefighter would not speak out because of fear of losing his job after a he serves his 2 day suspension for helping out people. As a fire chief myself if a company suspended two volunteers the day after they worked a plane crash for 16 hours my comments would not have been (I UNDERSTAND BOTH SIDES). If this was such a bad employee why not wait until a later date and then fire him but instead they give two firefighters a 2 day suspension the day after a major incident. This just goes to show the increasing lack of support for volunteers period. The company should have never threw the volunteer fire department into the mix. How can you say his behavior is foolish when he was standing up for what he thinks is a good cause. If everyone was suspended for calling off the next day for helping out the volunteer fire department on a major incident that would include alot of volunteers including myself. Do you think the volunteers that lost thier jobs in Oklahoma were foolish when they lost thier jobs for protecting the many homes including thier own. My job however understands that if I work a structure fire all night that I am not going to come in the next day. Yes I understand he may have quit on his on, but this was also done to bring attention to the companys poor pratices of supporting the volunteer fire department. Because if he would not have quit we would not be posting on this thread.

  5. #5
    Forum Member THEFIRENUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltlredcorvette View Post
    If he loves firefighting so much, why isn't he trying for a paid position? I've seen enough volunteers who just use their pagers to get out of school or work that it is hard to believe that if firefighting is his passion, that he doesn't make that his full-time, paid job. I did.
    Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't trying to get on a full time department. You don't really know, do you? Are saying is that if we are not trying to do this full time, we are just trying to get out of school or work???? You need to go somewhere else to belittle volunteers!! You are not wanted here.

    Now to the point of this person who "quit" his job. It sounds as if he may be using the VFD as one of his excuses for missing work. We do not know the whole story, so we can only speculate.

    He should have taken the two day suspension and gone back to work (unless he already has a better job lined up). All of us volunteers need to remember that our families come first, then our job, THEN the fire department. Some people get these mixed up.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

    Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

    ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Firenut like I said before If he would not have stood up for something that he believed in we would not be posting on this thread. The Company is the one that pulled the Volunteer fire department into this situation. If he was such a bad employee they should have just fired he and left the volunteer fire departments out of the mix.

  7. #7
    Forum Member THEFIRENUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Where I work, If you take too many days off (or are late too many times), you first get a verbal warning. This is followed by a written warning, and finally a three day suspension. This has nothing to do with the reasons for absenteeism.

    The company that these guys work for did not go into detail on what led up to this suspension, so we don't have the complete story. But every company has the right to protect its' own interest. Maybe both of these guys just happen to reach their quota for absenteeism on that Monday morning.

    Now if this company IS disciplining these guys because of their being members of a volunteer fire department, then shame on them. If this is the case, then the community needs to rally together and give a message to them (as in not doing business with them any more).

    I don't believe that this company "pulled" the fire department into this. I truly believe that if they were handing down this punishment solely for being on a volunteer fire department, the chief would have had much more to say about this situation.
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 07-18-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

    Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

    ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    George I have never commented on one of your qoutes before but are you understanding they gave two firefighters a 2 day suspension. This is not just one isolated fireman. I could understand if it was just this one firefighter (Maybe). But 2, I would side with the firefighters on this incident. I think the other firefighter would not speak out because of fear of losing his job after a he serves his 2 day suspension for helping out people. As a fire chief myself if a company suspended two volunteers the day after they worked a plane crash for 16 hours my comments would not have been (I UNDERSTAND BOTH SIDES). If this was such a bad employee why not wait until a later date and then fire him but instead they give two firefighters a 2 day suspension the day after a major incident. This just goes to show the increasing lack of support for volunteers period. The company should have never threw the volunteer fire department into the mix. How can you say his behavior is foolish when he was standing up for what he thinks is a good cause. If everyone was suspended for calling off the next day for helping out the volunteer fire department on a major incident that would include alot of volunteers including myself. Do you think the volunteers that lost thier jobs in Oklahoma were foolish when they lost thier jobs for protecting the many homes including thier own. My job however understands that if I work a structure fire all night that I am not going to come in the next day. Yes I understand he may have quit on his on, but this was also done to bring attention to the companys poor pratices of supporting the volunteer fire department. Because if he would not have quit we would not be posting on this thread.

    We do not know anything about the second guy. In fact, we do not even know if thatr part of the story is accurate because the co. didn't address it. So we cannot speak about that guy until we know more.

    With the first guy, he was given a 2 day suspension. The company stated, and the employee didn't disagree, that it was due to a pattern of poor attendance. It was not for volunteering at the plane crash. The employee chose to quit his full-time, paying job in favor of his volunteer, once-in-awhile fire fighter position.

    If his supervisor brought the FD into it, he was stupid.

    I'm a volunteer, too. Have been for a long time. But if it came down to my full-time paying job, or the voluinteer fire dept., my full-time job wins every time. I'm not talking about leaving for calls if I was available, I'm talking about job responsibilities that require my attendance. The job pays the bills and I, as a responsible adult, have the responsibility to earn a living before I have a responsibility to volunteer. He QUIT. He was not fired.

    Unless there is a law in place to the contrary, an employer can extend the courtesy of leaving for fire calls to employees. However if (I said if) the employee is marginal or has attendance problems, it is completely reasonable for the company not to extend that courtesy.

    Remember, the company met this head-on. They didn't hide. That is to their credit. I'll betcha that this story dies a rapid death if the company is telling the truth.

    I also think that the words of the fire chief speak volumes here.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Where I work, If you take too many days off (or are late too many times), you first get a verbal warning. This is followed by a written warning, and finally a three day suspension. This has nothing to do with the reasons for absenteeism.

    The company that these guys work for did not go into detail on what led up to this suspension, so we don't have the complete story. But every company has the right to protect its' own interest. Maybe both of these guys just happen to reach their quota for absenteeism on that Monday morning.

    Now if this company IS disciplining these guys because of their being members of a volunteer fire department, then shame on them. If this is the case, then the community needs to rally together and give a message to them (as in not doing business with them any more).

    I don't believe that this company "pulled" the fire department into this. I truly believe that if they were handing down this punishment solely for being on a volunteer fire department, the chief would have had much more to say about this situation.
    I believe the company could have taken less drastic measures taken into consideration as to what happened.

    The military reserve is allowed to be off work for way more than I take off for firefighting and they are paid for thier time. Granted they are protected under the laws as the same I believe we should also be protected. This law they passed are trying to pass is step in the right direction but doesnt help when a firefighter losses his job because a company wants to use this as an excuse to give out suspension or dismiss that person.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    BTW, here is a link to what I believe is the plane crash refered to in the piece. Single engine plane, one soul on board, no buildings, no fire.

    17 hours?

    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...160320/-1/News

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    BTW, here is a link to what I believe is the plane crash refered to in the piece. Single engine plane, one soul on board, no buildings, no fire.

    17 hours?

    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...160320/-1/News
    Good Point I will agree looks like he could have responded and asked the Officer in Charge or Chief to be released and still made it to work. Looked like plenty of help no arguement. But the company still has a black eye over it because they were mad about them calling off. So they put thier own company in the spotlight.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    Good Point I will agree looks like he could have responded and asked the Officer in Charge or Chief to be released and still made it to work. Looked like plenty of help no arguement. But the company still has a black eye over it because they were mad about them calling off. So they put thier own company in the spotlight.
    No. The company did not pur themselves in the spotlight. I am quite certain that they did not call a TV station. It would appear that the employee with the poor attendance record called them.

    And so what if the company was "mad"? If (I said if) the employees were critical to the operation, do you suppose there is at least the possibility that their unplanned absence may have affected the operation? There is a much. much bigger picture here.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    No. The company did not pur themselves in the spotlight. I am quite certain that they did not call a TV station. It would appear that the employee with the poor attendance record called them.

    And so what if the company was "mad"? If (I said if) the employees were critical to the operation, do you suppose there is at least the possibility that their unplanned absence may have affected the operation? There is a much. much bigger picture here.

    I will stick with the rest of my views.

    The chief didnt stand up for his firefighter.
    The supervisor put the company in the spotlight.

    These are just my views and are no way connected with the views of my department.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Im not sure of the exact number, but Im sure Pennsylvania has a law that protects volunteers from discipline for being late for work. Ive got to believe there is more to this story.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    Im not sure of the exact number, but Im sure Pennsylvania has a law that protects volunteers from discipline for being late for work. Ive got to believe there is more to this story.
    Seems like we have a need for Paul Harvey ("...the REST of the story.).

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    I will stick with the rest of my views.

    The chief didnt stand up for his firefighter.
    The supervisor put the company in the spotlight.

    These are just my views and are no way connected with the views of my department.
    What if the fire fighter was wrong. Should the Chief still stick up for him? The Chief didn't call the TV station either.

    To suggest that the "company" put themselves in the spotlight is to completely ignore the limited facts that have been put forth in the story.

  17. #17
    Forum Member DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    I believe the company could have taken less drastic measures taken into consideration as to what happened.

    The military reserve is allowed to be off work for way more than I take off for firefighting and they are paid for thier time. Granted they are protected under the laws as the same I believe we should also be protected. This law they passed are trying to pass is step in the right direction but doesnt help when a firefighter losses his job because a company wants to use this as an excuse to give out suspension or dismiss that person.
    There is a difference though between serving as a volunteer Firefighter and serving as a military reservist. If a volunteer fire fighter does not show up to a call, the biggest thing that can happen to him is the department kicks him out. If a reservist does not show up for a drill or troop activation, he can be fined money, lose rank, go to the brig, and if it is decided that it is desertion, he can theoretically be put to death. Reservists have legal job protection due to the consequences of disobedience, not because their service is nobler than others.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Act of Oct. 5, 1994, P.L. 557, No. 82 Cl. 35 - EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES ACT - OMNIBUS AMENDMENTS
    (5) No first responder, emergency medical technician or
    EMT-paramedic or health professional who in good faith
    attempts to render emergency care authorized by this act at
    an emergency scene while enroute to a place of employment
    shall receive any form of reprimand or penalty by an employer
    as a result of late arrival at the place of employment. An
    employer may request written verification from any such first
    responder, emergency medical technician [or], EMT-paramedic
    or health professional, who shall obtain the written
    verification from either the police officer or ambulance
    personnel who is in charge at the emergency scene.

  19. #19
    Assistant Chief 911brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sullivan, Wisconsin
    Posts
    104

    Default Great interview attire too...

    As a side note, even as a volunteer I think that if I knew I was going to be interviewed for a tv spot representing myself as a firefighter I might put on something other than a Jagermeister t-shirt and spit out the giant wad of chew from my lower lip...
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

    Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maud724 View Post
    The military reserve is allowed to be off work for way more than I take off for firefighting and they are paid for thier time. Granted they are protected under the laws as the same I believe we should also be protected.
    Yeah, those FEDERAL orders aren't as important as you going on a trashcan fire. And if you call what they get for deployment "paid for thier time", more power to you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Did you respond to WTC???
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
  2. Stress Echo test needed now....
    By MedicsWife in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
  3. FYI in CA
    By hootman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:04 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 06-05-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
  5. M.O.T.F.D. Sunny Point Firefighter/EMT Job
    By umx3310 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts