makes good girls go bad

Default Thinking of buying my own turnout gear, and need educated opinions

Not this sucks, this is awesome, and leave me hanging.
    Back up your opinion, with examples and experience.
    I am heavily leaning towards Globe G-EXTREME, I tried on a set when I speced out my EMS gear awhile back, and I like the customizable options.
    This will be used as my dept gear, and for continuing my education in Firefighting, like fire conferences, fire school, etc.
    The gear that we have now I do not trust, there has been problems with holes and customer service. I would like something that is sized just for me, and I can bring with me if/when I leave.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

My department uses the Globe series. We have GX-7's for now, but everyone around us is switching to the G-Xtreme series. No one has complained about them. Well, let me take that back, someone said it's too hot in the summer, and really, what gear isn't when you're fully bunkered?

With either, the G-Xtreme, or the GX-7, we've had great manueverability, and good durability. We have some sets, that have seen some pretty good fires, that are 6 and 7 years old, and still perfectly good.

There is one thing I don't like on the G-Xtreme's, and that is the plastic belt buvkle on the pants. Personally, I find it odd looking, but hey, i've heard nothing but good things.

Forum Member

First and foremost.....You need assurance that you will be covered by your department for any injuries received while wearing your personal gear. Many departments have stipulations that you must wear the deparment purchased and assigned gear. At the same time, many depts. will allow members to purchase their own ensembles, but they must meet minimum standards (NFPA, OSHA, ANSI, etc.) GET IT IN WRITING.

A few years ago, I purchased my own set of gear for my volunteer organization after the chief said it was ok and I would be covered. I purchased a set of NFPA-1971 Compliant gear. At the advice of an elder, I asked for something in writing from the Fire Department stating I would be covered. 3 days later I get a letter from the chief stating they would NOT issue something in writing, and I was NOT allowed to wear the gear. Great. I was stuck with it. I was pretty perturbed, but the Chief made up for it- he had me return it to the dealer, then the Dept. purchased it from the dealer and he then assigned it right back to me.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    First and foremost.....You need assurance that you will be covered by your department for any injuries received while wearing your personal gear. Many departments have stipulations that you must wear the deparment purchased and assigned gear. At the same time, many depts. will allow members to purchase their own ensembles, but they must meet minimum standards (NFPA, OSHA, ANSI, etc.) GET IT IN WRITING.

A few years ago, I purchased my own set of gear for my volunteer organization after the chief said it was ok and I would be covered. I purchased a set of NFPA-1971 Compliant gear. At the advice of an elder, I asked for something in writing from the Fire Department stating I would be covered. 3 days later I get a letter from the chief stating they would NOT issue something in writing, and I was NOT allowed to wear the gear. Great. I was stuck with it. I was pretty perturbed, but the Chief made up for it- he had me return it to the dealer, then the Dept. purchased it from the dealer and he then assigned it right back to me.
    Great point!
    That is something I will ask before making this major investment
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

1) When it's time to buy your hood buy a Reed Hood it's worth the money.

2) Leather helmet

3) Leather boots

4) I loved the ols morning pride we used to wear in Houston. i'll have to find what style it was.

5) Gloves what ever fits right

6)
    Last edited by hfd838; 07-18-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

npgert5819
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default turnout gear

When i first joined my dept. in upstate new york i purchased my own set of turnout gear to be used at the firehouse for calls and the last 17 years trying to get gloves boots or anything else has been complete hell check with your chief before wasteing your money.

IACOJ BOD

Sing along time kiddies.

"oh I do like to be beside the seaside"

"oh I do like to be beside the sea"

Not for any obtuse ( dickshunhairy people wot need it) reason do I LOVE being part of a NATIONAL fire service wot looks at da gear aroun an decudes wots bestest.

Did I put it in langugage wot yo can see?

Just remember the military adage, your bullets are bought by the lowest bidder.

When the hell are you people at least going to start combining a few hicksville towns / cities/ counties / boroughs / cities / metropolises (WHATEVER DUDE) together for nothing less than ....

Drum roll....

PURCHASING POWER

The manufacturers are wetting their pants laughing at ya all.

You are so damn divided, they charge maximum price to all of the fools that walk, wander, or google into their door.

Get your sorry buts together and BUY WITH POWER.

Gosh, do you think FDNY pay the same prices for each full kit as does Spleenbust, tala-arsee.

Maybe once you start looking at the fiscal sense of working together you MIGHT, oh just MIGHT find two neighbouring fire departments that use the same bloody hose connections.

Oh it couldn't happen. Horror, two departments next door to each other by 20 miles wot can hook their trucks up and pump water together.

Get a life people

You might find you are able to save more of them.

And for any Merican Occifer (POMs, Aussies, and most others know better) reading this post.

Please... Think about it. Trust me it works, and I is just a lowly FireFighter in Kiwi Land (best little Brigade in town), but by heck, I knows BS when it walks down the hall.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Default Spleenbust

Kiwi I've been to Spleenbust, Tala-arsee and it's beautiful...except for all the chucks of spleen

seriously you killed me with that line!

MembersZone Subscriber

In all honesty, I would stick with what your dept provides.

Like others have pointed out, the department may not like you doing this.

Two, it is a huge wallet hit. Looking at around $600 just for a decent coat.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    This will be used as my dept gear, and for continuing my education in Firefighting, like fire conferences, fire school, etc.
    The gear that we have now I do not trust, there has been problems with holes and customer service. I would like something that is sized just for me, and I can bring with me if/when I leave.
    ummm, why?

As was already said, make sure your department will allow you to use it, and will cover you with their insurance if you get hurt while wearing it.

that being said, IIRC, you were having trouble finding a career FF job. if you are a volunteer, why purchase your own gear? if the gear you have doesn't fit, then your dept needs to purchase new gear for you that fits. if it has holes, then it doesn't meet NFPA specifications, and shouldn't be used for live fire stuff, and your dept should purchase you new gear.

The only personal gear I have is a helmet (which i have used as my dept helmet) and a pair of leather boots, because my old department didn't issue leather boots (the new one does). I also have a cheap coat in my car just in case i stop at a pin job on the high ways in my POV.

But I wouldn't invest in a full set of turnout gear if you can avoid it, especially if the department won't provide you a proper set.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

And its only $62....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information