Thread: sirens

slfd07
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post sirens

is any explorer/jr. program allowed to use sirens?

NO

Thats all you need to know.

MembersZone Subscriber

No jr or explorer should ever have or need to have a light,light bar,strobes,siren,multiple sirens or anything in their vehicles!

Forum Member

I agree there.
    During your explorer time,you should be learning the basics of firefighting/EMS,the ins and outs of your department while staying out of harm's way.
    There'll be plenty of time to run lights and sirens to calls when you are a full member and deemed"legally burnable" by the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    No jr or explorer should ever have or need to have a light,light bar,strobes,siren,multiple sirens or anything in their vehicles!

Forum Member

Not unless you count taking a deep breath, puckering your lips, and running down the road going "woo woo woo woo"....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slfd07 View Post
    is any explorer/jr. program allowed to use sirens?
    I think it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to operate emergency lights or sirens in my state. So no. Plus you don't need them. I don't need them. NO explorer/junior/cadet needs or should use them. Anyways all you could get is the orange ones (amber i believe is the technical term). but all that says is don't hit me.

but either way you don't need them and should not even use them. It is a liability to your life and the departments reputation. As well as public safety.

edited specified to my state. And I forgot about the blue (or green where I am) lights.
    Last edited by t0asty; 07-19-2007 at 10:42 PM.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

The use of amber lighting would probably not be illegal, but still against department policy. It would gain you the reputation of "wacker" (see user "Justin Gershon").

I have a single red rotator that I -sometimes- put on my dashboard for increased visibility. I WISH I made enough money to deck my truck out with lights.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    The use of amber lighting would probably not be illegal, but still against department policy. It would gain you the reputation of "wacker" (see user "Justin Gershon").

I have a single red rotator that I -sometimes- put on my dashboard for increased visibility. I WISH I made enough money to deck my truck out with lights.

Does the new position come with a vehicle, or no such luck?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    NO

That about sums it up the best.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Gee, let's think about this. First of all, I see you're from NY. In NY, volunteer FF's are allowed to use blue COURTESY lights with NO sirens. The only firefighters authorized to use red lights and sirens are Chief Officers (except of course when you're driving an actual piece of apparatus owned and operated by the district/dept). So, if the Captain of a fire dept, a guy who might be 40 years old with over 20 years as a veteran firefighter isn't allowed to use red lights and sirens, why the hell would some 15 year old KID be allowed to? Get real!

Forum Member

When will everyone figure out that laws and guidlines vary from state to state and possibly from dept to dept regarding emergency lights/sirens? Just because it is not allowed where you are from doesnt mean someone else cant do it.

That being said, juniors have no business running lights and sirens. It just annoys me when people answer this question based on local protocols knowing they are probably different somewhere else.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    When will everyone figure out that laws and guidlines vary from state to state and possibly from dept to dept regarding emergency lights/sirens? Just because it is not allowed where you are from doesnt mean someone else cant do it.

That being said, juniors have no business running lights and sirens. It just annoys me when people answer this question based on local protocols knowing they are probably different somewhere else.
    If you're referring to my post and my bringing up NY, maybe that's because HE is from NY, as am I? Just a guess. If anything, my post is the only post that DOES address the "local protocol" issue, since it's a STATEWIDE LAW.

Forum Member

This is also the same guy that said Juniors should be able to leave school to go to calls because instead of calling mutual aid and "taking 3 or 4 company's out of service" that he figures high school students should be able to do the job!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    If you're referring to my post and my bringing up NY, maybe that's because HE is from NY, as am I? Just a guess. If anything, my post is the only post that DOES address the "local protocol" issue, since it's a STATEWIDE LAW.
    You just gave every reason why my post was NOT directed toward anything you said. Try reading through again and find the ones I WAS talking about. Calm down Trigger.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I believe that you were talking about mine. But I more or less edited it to be specific to my state.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Does the new position come with a vehicle, or no such luck?
    Actually it does, but the guy before me (who happens to be a really close friend) doesn't have enough money to afford a vehicle of his own so he has it. The chief doesn't mind, and I'm sure he can make way better use of it than me. My garage is already packed as it is.

Speaking of that, not to get off topic, I'll have to upload some pictures of my new bike.

Forum Member

I will second all motions made by above posters.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    Actually it does, but the guy before me (who happens to be a really close friend) doesn't have enough money to afford a vehicle of his own so he has it. The chief doesn't mind, and I'm sure he can make way better use of it than me. My garage is already packed as it is.

Speaking of that, not to get off topic, I'll have to upload some pictures of my new bike.
    You're saying that you can have a chiefs vehicle but someone needs it because they don't have enough money? The chiefs vehicle should be used for fd use. Tell us more

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    You're saying that you can have a chiefs vehicle but someone needs it because they don't have enough money? The chiefs vehicle should be used for fd use. Tell us more
    We have two vehicles known as "squad one" and "squad two" which are intended to be used by the chief and assistant chief to respond directly to the scene. The former assistant chief (we just had elections a few days ago) doesn't have enough money coming in yet to afford his own vehicle. So, until he starts bringing in enough income we (the department membership) decided that he could continue keeping squad two as his personal vehicle. Neither vehicle is specifically marked "chief" or "assistant chief" just as "91" and "92".

slfd07
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation hold on

i was just wondering i was not trying to start anything i was just wondering if anyone can use sirens i have read forums about explorers/jrs. using lights. AND I DO THINK EXPLORERS SHOULD RESPOND TO CALLS!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

NO

How about
    HELL NO
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I typed that first, and then did a quick size up and risk vs gain analysis and decided to go defensive.

Forum Member

i was just wondering i was not trying to start anything i was just wondering if anyone can use sirens i have read forums about explorers/jrs. using lights. AND I DO THINK EXPLORERS SHOULD RESPOND TO CALLS!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you have FF1/EVOC? Do you know what "due regard" means? How about "negligence"? Do you even have a drivers liscense? If you answered no to any of the above questions, then you shouldn't be responding to calls and ESPECIALLY NOT driving with lights and siren.

Forum Member

We're not debating the fact of whether Juniors should respond to calls. We're debating the fact of whether they should be able to respond with sirens in their vehicles. As a previous person said HELLLLLLLLLLLLL NO. This is dangerous and just asking for trouble.I know a lot of regular FF's that should not be able to even have a light, so there's no way a Junior should. If any dept let's their Juniors respond in POV with lights and sirens they should be hung.

Ryan

Forum Member

Just to update my position on this matter.....................

I woudl like to again second the motions of all posters since my last post.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information