Thread: Jeep Owners

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Jeep Owners

Specifically Cherokee models, but any type owner is ok too. I'm looking at grabbing an 1988 - pretty basic model, not much for options, not that it matters much.

Just wondering what, if anything I should be looking for in the way of mechanical items that might be a pain later on down the road. The accounting of the veh stands at:

240+K miles
    New windshield
    New head gasket cover seal
    Newer master clutch cylinder
    5 speed manual
    4x4

I've never owned or even driven a jeep of this type, so any thoughts or considerations are welcome.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I just picked up an '89 Wrangler about a month ago and it's been a blast so far. Go to http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php, there should be a ton of info on there that will help you out.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

Forum Member

Rick.. check the inner fenders for corrosion. The older Cherokees tend to accumulate a lot of debris (leaves, dirt, pine needles, etc) behind the inner fender liners and the drain holes for the fenders plug up easily. When they redisgned it in 1990's , the problem was corrected.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys, that gives me a bit of something to work with/look for. Any further suggestions on what to look for are very welcome, although I will be heading out at about 230 today to go look at this one.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

I'm not sure of the year models covered, but I would check the strut supports and hinges on the back door/rear access. I would check the power steering and engine seals for leaks around the balancer and flywheel. With over 240K on the clock, ask about the maintainance on the transfer case fluids, and rear axle/front axle. In your area of the country, ask about exhaust repairs and the catalytic convertor. Make a visual inspection to see if all the required emission control equipment is still in place and matches the underhood hose route diagrams. Was the slave cylinder also changed on the clutch?

Forum Member

Only time I'm around Cherokees is at work. You know how the Military treats the vehicles eh Malahat. I think we got like 70 2007 Cherokees. Nice lookin rigs. Kinda gutless though, except on the highway.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

The Canadian Army and mostly the Reserves received a bunch of CJ7's in the early mid 80s. I only ever sort of had a bit of experience with one while on exercise, so I dont really count it for the same reasons you mention, ndvfdff33... They were gutless and useless in pretty much all conditions - from what I was told. As I say, I never got any real first hand experience with the one we had at the time. I was a jeep driver back then, but my "jeep" was an Iltis, and I could take that thing pretty much anywhere, sand, mud, it didnt matter. But then I had a lot of time with farm tractors and how to get them stuck, so that all I learned on the farm held up well for me driving for the army.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    The Canadian Army and mostly the Reserves received a bunch of CJ7's in the early mid 80s. I only ever sort of had a bit of experience with one while on exercise, so I dont really count it for the same reasons you mention, ndvfdff33... They were gutless and useless in pretty much all conditions - from what I was told. As I say, I never got any real first hand experience with the one we had at the time. I was a jeep driver back then, but my "jeep" was an Iltis, and I could take that thing pretty much anywhere, sand, mud, it didnt matter. But then I had a lot of time with farm tractors and how to get them stuck, so that all I learned on the farm held up well for me driving for the army.

HAHA. Yeah these news ones are garbage. The guys drive em around in the field like they are an LS or ML. Sorry girls but it's not. They get stuck so much out in the lovely sad dunes of Borden. Doesn't make sense why they get such nice vehicles to send out to the field and trash em.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Hey Mal, some of those were also infamous for having rings go bad, which can cause blow-by, check the airfilter for any signs of oil.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Does it have the 4.0 six cylinder? If not, definitely stay away from it. The 2.5 liter fours are awful. I've got a '90 4.0 Cherokee that I've had for years. Used to use it as a service vehicle when I worked on home satellite systems. 250K+ and it's still going. The only big thing I've ever had to do is install a new larger radiator. This was a common problem with some of the early Cherokees. I keep wondering when it's going to die...but it just keeps going.

Forum Member

Hey Mal, some of those were also infamous for having rings go bad, which can cause blow-by, check the airfilter for any signs of oil.
    They also have a common problem with the lousy PCV system oiling the air filter, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I had a look at it, and overall seems ok. The air filter just seemed dirty to me, but I wasnt able to get a good look at that - too many PVC lines etc in the way. However, I did notice that a lot of the vacuum lines and PVC crap will need to be replaced, but thats cheap/easy to do. There's some sigificant rust on the passenger front door, but nothing a good grinder and some primer paint wont fix - the clear coat on the hood is peeling too -oh well, I ain't buy'n it for a beauty pagent. LOL It will need a back seat eventually - its currently MIA, so if anyone has a spare one....??? No hurry for that tho. However, everything else seems to be ok. There were no big puddles of oil on the garage floor - apparently Mom would have shot him if it did. She's a trucker apparently; I didnt get to meet her but I think I'd like to. heeheheheehee

Thread Information