View Poll Results: What is your preferred coupling for drafting hose?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Threaded

9 25.71%
  • Stortz with drafting gaskets (folding handles)

5 14.29%
  • Cam-lock

6 17.14%
  • Other

0 0%
  • I've never used anything other than threaded

13 37.14%
  • Drafting what? Where's my soft sleeve and hydrant valve?

2 5.71%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Suction hose couplings

Interested in various experiences from departments that have used different coupling types for 6" hard (flexible) suction hose.

What problems have you found with each? Which do you feel are the most reliable (leak-wise)? Which ones seem easiest to couple with one firefighter?

Forum Member

Default We tried stortz

We tried stortz - didn't discover we didn't have drafting gaskets until we had a working rural structure fire and were trying to pull a draft out of a dump tank. Thank god our low level strainer had a jet siphon so we were able to get a draft with that.

Even with the drafting gaskets, had more problems getting quick drafts with stortz - also seem harder to get lined up.

New pumper tanker - went back to threaded.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run 6" soft suction. Our Engine 1 has a rear 5" storz on it. When we pull in the drive to hit our manifold when we go to our st 2 area or a m/a assignment we pull in the drive enough to throw up 3 drop tanks. We don't have any 6" suction with storz but we do have a 5'' to 6 " adapter so we can draft off the back of the truck. It works awesome. I have though tabout going to storz and the only thing that stops us is all of our neighboring depts run 6" threaded. My thought are if we go to our neighbors and they need suction or vice versa we're screwed.

As far as any problems with the 6" suction, the only problem I have found is they don't work to good without the gasket in them. We check ours all the time and carry extra ones just incase.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't storz couplings with the appropriate gaskets for drafting require wrenches to couple together as they're so tight? I can see that as being a real drawback to getting things set up quickly, if this is the case.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Don't storz couplings with the appropriate gaskets for drafting require wrenches to couple together as they're so tight? I can see that as being a real drawback to getting things set up quickly, if this is the case.
    No, not with the folding handles that I referenced. They are pretty easy to couple, once you have them lined up. My biggest concern with them is flow restriction.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post
    No, not with the folding handles that I referenced. They are pretty easy to couple, once you have them lined up. My biggest concern with them is flow restriction.
    See - you've found a city dweller who drafts only to make sure he can do it once in a while, and on the odd rural fire that we have in our very limited area without hydrants...

I should just check the last choice on the poll, thanks for letting me play.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post

Any reason you can't get 6" Storz couplings on a hard suction?

Now specing a pumper tanker w/1500gpm which I think requires 6" suction (we only have 5" suction on our current 1000gpm pumper). We have 6" storz for our LDH (current pumper has 5" storz to 6" storz adapter).

Forum Member

What is "drafting"?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What is "drafting"?
    Oh boy...

just kidding!

Forum Member

This is what drafting is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zfdtruckman; 07-20-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Forum Member

I thought this was drafting.......
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Its when you tail the rig in front of you to get better mileage and speed on the way to a call.

Forum Member

Did you say it was a little drafty in here? ...Didn't realize it was THIS (*POINTS* bad...

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Our trucks run Cam locks for quick connection.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Argg. This poll is proving to be approximately zero worth to me (poll only - posts are good. Esp pictures ). Cam lock and Storz are almost tied, and I have to wonder if Thread's lead is only due to a few people missing option #5.

Specific questions:

1. If you have used multiple couplings, why do you like the type that you do? What have your experiences been?

2. Which have you found easiest to connect by yourself?

3. Which couplings have generated the most trouble with air leaks, and what has been possible to correct? Of relevance: one argument that I have heard in favor of Threaded couplings is that they are the only couplings that you can tighten if there is a leak. The counter argument is that they are the only type that you need to tighten in the first place - Storz and Cam Lock are tight enough every time, assuming a good gasket (which brings up another point: threaded is the only coupling where it is possible to over-tighten the coupling and cause damage to the gasket).

4. Does anybody have specific data on flow rates/friction loss comparisons between the three types of couplings?

Thread Information