Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default no test no agility

hello all, just a question to those of you in the hiring realm. i recently applied to a professional department that is an equal opportunity employer according to the city web site. after about six weeks of waiting for a response as to when the written and physical agility testing was to take place i recieved an email from the human resources department thanking myself and about thirty other candidates for applying,(it was a general mailing to all of us at once) but they have already chosen the person they want to hire. is this a normal procedure? all other departments have leveled the playing field by requiring all candidates both external and from their paid on call to go to testing. something about this just does not feel right. anyone run in to this before?

Exclamation

Have you called and asked what happened? That would be my first move. What you are saying does sound odd. Did you ever turn in an application?

Forum Member

originally the city would only accept resumes according to the job posting. so i called human resources and spoke to them about it and they advised that the written and agility info would be sent to us. then nothing for right around six weeks, then a general email to a bunch of us. their email stated that the city had found the person they wanted to interview for the position.

Forum Member

Some agencies will select candidates they want to interview through the review of the qualifications on their resumes.

The resume is often the first thing HR, an oral board or review panel will see. How do you think your resume would up against the competition to make the cut?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-20-2007 at 05:27 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

CaptBob, as anyone would probably respond, my resume is great! Truthfully though I have spent a long time both with the preperation of the actual resume and with the certifications that i have attained to coincide with it. For the department in question I can truthfully say that I qualified above their standards in both ff and ems. I have been interviewed at three other departments and have been placed on their lists and have also made it to both the physical and written tests for each department i have ever applied to (besides these three, total of seven I believe). My thought is that they are a combination department and that they already knew who they wanted, which is great. The guys that put the time in and strive to stand out as paid on call should get a little nudge in the ranking. But to dismiss the testing? just feels wrong.

Forum Member

My thought is that they are a combination department and that they already knew who they wanted, which is great. The guys that put the time in and strive to stand out as paid on call should get a little nudge in the ranking. But to dismiss the testing? just feels wrong.

You're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by jcgafford View Post
    CaptBob, as anyone would probably respond, my resume is great! Truthfully though I have spent a long time both with the preperation of the actual resume and with the certifications that i have attained to coincide with it.
    Do you have a one page resume?

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

yes, the regular professional resume is one full page (college, career goal, job history). the rest of the bound "resume" is certifications and licenses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcgafford View Post
    the rest of the bound "resume" is certifications and licenses.
    Bound??? Hmmmm. Here's some ideas

Most resumes are poorly done. The business resume format is not the best for firefighter candidates. Thatís because with the high volume of candidates, the raters only have a few moments to look at resumes before you walk into the room.

What's the first impression the job panel has of you? Your physical appearance, yes. What else? Your choice of words, eye contact, and your hand shake are all important. You probably missed the most important point!

Your application and resume before you walk in the room! I can't tell you how many times we've seen applications with misspelled words, horrible spelling, chronological order wrong, and we haven't even seen the candidate.

I'm a one-page resume guy for entry level; without a cover letter. Do not give us a book. we will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come a interview, any interview, thinking you are going to hand the resume to us and we're going to read it then. That is not going to happen. Often candidates will come in, they will try to hand out resumes, it upsets the normal flow of the interview. We're going to read it before you come in the room. If you can submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Don't fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

A candidate faxed me his resume for review. The cover letter for the position he was applying for stated, "Attached is a "brief" description of my qualifications." I laughed out loud because he had sent me a book. The printer ran out of paper. Save a tree, the raters will not read these volumes. Donít make me send out a search party to find your great stuff. Hit me with your major qualifications, starting with your experience, on one page. Write it believing the raters wonít go past the first page. Keep it simple.

On a chief's oral you can add more to your resume for education and letters of recommendation. But don't forget to still put the important stuff on the first page, because that's what the raters are going to be looking for.

On the first page of your resume, many people start with their education. For me, I like to have experience jump right off the page. Hit me with experience, bam. Fire fighting, bam. Some kind of training, apparatus operator training, fire school, whatever it is. Hit me with that experience. And that doesn't necessarily have to be in chronological order or fire service experience. So many of the resumes I see, way down at the bottom of the first page, I find the important stuff. Because that's how it falls in chronological order. It starts with some education up here, some college, whatever, blah blah, experience, now we're down at the bottom of the page where I might not see it.

I was reviewing a candidate's resume and in chronological order his paramedic certification was at the bottom of the page. I asked him, "What were the most important items on his resume? He said, my firefighter 1 and paramedic certification." They were at the bottom of the page where they might be missed. We put those items on top, so those are the first things that hit you. We put the dates on the right side of the page where it can be referenced. Once you put the dates on the right-hand side of the page, you list your experience in order of importance; not chronological order. This makes a big difference.

My suggestion for a firefighter resume format:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588
    Phone: 510-286-5890 e-mail: Iwantafirejob@aol.com

OBJECTIVE: To achieve a level within the fire service.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Firefighter Fire Department, CA 2-00 Present
    Duties include but are not limited to fire suppression in structural as well as wild land environments and emergency medical services under highly stressful emergency conditions. Also, fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance under the supervision of a Captain, always focusing on providing quality customer service.

Engineer (Acting) 2-03 Present

Firefighter Fire Department (Auxiliary) 3-99 2-00
    Perform in a probationary capacity under emergency situations, fire suppression, emergency medical services, also fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance.

EMT Ambulance Service, CA 3-99 2-00
    Perform under emergency situations; emergency medical services under the direction of Redondo Beach and L.A. County Fire Department Paramedics. Vehicle and station maintenance and Code-3 driving.

INSTRUCTOR Emergency Response CPR 3-03 Present
    Adult, Child, & Infant CPR training for the community as well as for the professional rescuer.

Owner/Operator Pool Company, CA 5-97 2-00
    Service and repair of residential and commercial pools and spas according to County Health Department specifications.

EDUCATION: (is space is needed to keep on one page, these can be placed in two columns)

Bachelorís Degree
    EMT Defib and Combitube certified
    Firefighter I
    Red Cross certified CPR Instructor
    Firefighter II
    Federal Red Card System Member
    Driver/Operator State certified
    Class B Driverís License

If you have space left using a size 12 fount on the first page you can add:

ACTIVITIES
    Member of State University Track and Field Team.
    Member of State University X-Country Team.
    Volunteer for Hubbs Institute White Sea Bass Population Restoration Project.
    Volunteer for Red Cross on various projects

Thatís all you need. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep it simple.

If you have the opportunity to get that application ahead of time, take it and make a photocopy of it. Then plug in the information. Have a qualified person correct it.

When my son was trying to get on the fire department, he had his mom do that. She is a good speller, and a good typist. Put everything down. Then you've got something that you can transfer to the real application, and that becomes boilerplate. Then you can use it any time you have a new application. Many applications now are computer generated. They are difficult to type your information into the limited space. These applications can be scanned into a computer where you can easily fill them in.

Make a photocopy because you never know when you're going to that job interview. I talk to people who have put in applications, and six to eight months later, they don't have a copy and don't remember what they've put down.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default question....

Definitely not an expert, but I wanted to ask about this bound "resume".
    Did they ask for a separate packet of certifications in addition to the one page resume?

bam

Forum Member

they did not ask for it to be bound. the first interview that i had for another department did not ask for anything, but they expected a resume and everyone there had one prepared with certs attached. i did not have certs with me and felt like i was fed to the wolves. i must say that this was the chiefs interview. every interviewer since minus one was impressed by the appearance and info and all used it during the interview. the "minus one" was an old battalion chief and if i can remember correctly he said anyone can type up one of these and i believe it was at that time that he tossed it back to me. if i was not the one on the hot seat i probably would have laughed and agreed with him, instead i prayed to get out of there alive. i have not had anyone tell me the bound way is the wrong way to go and i have asked 2 IAFF department chiefs and 3 ff's that have been interviewers. truthfully it looks good if you ask me, and is simple and to the point. my format is almost exactly as CaptBob has above, minus mine is bound to all my certs and licenses.
    Last edited by jcgafford; 07-20-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Forum Member

every interviewer since minus one was impressed by the appearance and info and all used it during the interview. the "minus one" was an old battalion chief and if i can remember correctly he said anyone can type up one of these and i believe it was at that time that he tossed it back to me. if i was not the one on the hot seat i probably would have laughed and agreed with him, instead i prayed to get out of there alive.

That should have been a clue

i have not had anyone tell me the bound way is the wrong way to go and i have asked 2 IAFF department chiefs and 3 ff's that have been interviewers. truthfully it looks good if you ask me, and is simple and to the point.

Then let me be the first. Yea, everyone becomes and expert. They might not be telling you what you really need to hear. Happens all the time. If you're testing, making the list and not getting called back you have to be asking why?

my format is almost exactly as CaptBob has above, minus mine is bound to all my certs and licenses.

It might be. OK, I truly only want to help. e-mail your resume to me at captbob@verio.com and see if it can be improved. If you listed all your certs and licenses on your one page resume, why do you need to attach all that stuff in a bound folder? Often when a candidate presented us with a bound book we threw it in the round file when they left, never reading it.

You're looking for a seamless no surprises interview. If you're going in and handing out a book you could be already off on the wrong foot. I hear from candidates all the time that panel members compliment them on a one page resume.

This from Kyle:

I never realized until now how hideous my resume really was. I don't need my resume very often, but when I do it's nice to know it's mint! I can be confident in that now.

from Allan:

Well I'm sorry to say that at 37 years old I thought I knew
    how to put together a resume. I sent an e-mail to Capt. Bob with a simple question, he asked me e-mail over the resume for his review. OUCH, man did that hurt!! It came back with all kinds of "who cares" and scribble marks all over it.

Well you know what? I have never had a resume look so
    good in my life and with two pages and years of classes, I
    thought there was no way it could be one page. Boy do I
    still have a lot to learn! I advise you to give Capt. Bob a
    chance to look at your resume too, you might just be
    surprised by what you see.

The balls in your court.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-20-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Resumes Are Not A Substitute!

From a previous Firehouse.com article:

http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/Fire-Service-Careers/Resumes-Are-Not-A-Substitute/8$2777

BOB SMITH
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

If it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will not get credit!

Question:

If they don't accept resumes, then how are they going to know what I did? Will I somehow have to work all that information in the oral? And if so how and where?

Thank you- a confused wannabe

Reply:

One of the major error's candidate's make is thinking that because I have listed experience and credentials on my application and resume, I don't have to cover everything or go into depth. This is a big ERROR! You have to tell them. Understand if it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will never get credit! I can't tell you how many times we saw some great stuff on a resume and said, "Let's see if the candidate tells us about this?" Many did not.

Yes, you have to work all that information into your oral. You have to be ready to make your presentation before you walk into the room. Many candidates think some kind of magic is going to happen during the oral board. "Magic is where preparation meets opportunity." It is not a difficult task. Most candidates complicate this process.

I suggest you start working up your answers so when the notice comes you don't want to go below and fall on your sword.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

That's what I was thinking had happened. Nothing like feeling like you were caught with your pants down than at an interview. I can definitely relate to showing up with just a resume and no certs and they end up asking for them. It doesn't hurt to have them at the ready, but I wouldn't present certs unless asked for specifically. Especially since they're listed on the resume.

I defer to the experts here, because I wouldn't be where I'm at if it weren't for the advice I found on these forums, specifically Capt Bob and Chief Lepore.

Hang tough,
    bam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I can definitely relate to showing up with just a resume and no certs and they end up asking for them. It doesn't hurt to have them at the ready, but I wouldn't present certs unless asked for specifically. Especially since they're listed on the resume.

bam
    Serioulsy, how many candidates have been asked in the first oral board for an agency for their certs if they're already listed on their resume? For a lot of reasons many panel members are not from the department your testing for.

There isn't much time to look at the application and resume (if they accept one) of the next candidates coming into the room. Keep it simple. One page resume not in a folder, not cover letter, binder or other cute bound arrangement.

I've heard from candidates who were testing for an agency that wasn't accepting resumes. Firefighters have told them to bring one anyway because it will make them stand out (another one those everyone becomes and expert once their hired). It makes them stand out alright but not in the way they expected. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

It was weird. Only happened once. I was actually surprised they were asking if I had anything more to submit with my resume.

bam

Forum Member

Every interview that i have been to including the first had department members from the department i was interviewing for and usually someone from the human resources department. even the interviews that had outside departments on the panel had at least the rank of a captain on the panel. at least one member of the panel went through and read every cert that i brought and usually when it was their turn to question me they refered to a cert they were interested in. every interview lasted at least an hour and some almost two so most members took the time while i was answering other questions to go through everything i brought and it appeared to me that they did more than skim through. I believe the solution is going to be to provide the one page resume and bring a bound copy of certs, that way if they ask you have them. if they don't you did'nt try to throw a whole lot of paper they don't want at them.
    Last edited by jcgafford; 07-21-2007 at 04:34 PM.

I see no reason why a candidate should not include a copy of their certificates with a resume of one or two pages. If the interviewer is so busy that thumbing through a dozen or so pages of certs. is too time consuming maybe its time to review their screening protocol? Also, good spellers do not translate into good firefighters,as it was suggested to get your mother to write your resume. Lastly, its alot easier to shred a one sheet resume, compared to a bound book.

Forum Member

Hey, if you're bent on brining in your certs, etc put them in a folder and put them on the floor next to your chair.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I recently received this resume from a candidate:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588

OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position as a professional firefighter in the state.

QUALIFICATIONS
    As a part-time firefighter/ EMT for the Township Fire Department, I have responded to hundreds of service calls ranging from simple citizenís assists to industrial structure fires. I have the ability to perform the tasks appointed to me without reservation. I have completed firefighter I & II, as well as Hazmat awareness and operations through County Fire Chiefís Association. I am a state licensed EMT-Basic and have received my certificate of completion as a paramedic. I am a member of the County Technical Rescue Team, as well as the Rapid Intervention Team for the Fire Department.

EDUCATION
    2004 Associate of Applied Science Emergency Medical Technology (Paramedic),
    1999 Associate of Science,

EMPLOYMENT
    2006-Present Firefighter/EMT, Charter Township Fire Department. Responsible for fire prevention and education to the community, fire suppression and Emergency Medical Service to the township of Madison and surrounding communities.

2006-Present Emergency Room Technician, ABC Hospital, Responsible for the triage and care of patients as well as I.V placement and E.K.G. application or anything else the and all other duties assigned by E.R. staff.

2003-Present Paraeducator, Area Schools. Responsible for the everyday education and welfare of school-aged physically and mentally handicapped children.

2004-2000 Firefighter/EMT, Volunteer Fire Department. Responsible for fire suppression, community education and Emergency Medical Service to the township.

2005-2006 Service Technician, Quick Lube. Responsible for sales and customer service, as well as physical labor on customer vehicles.

CERTIFICATIONS
    Firefighter I & II, Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Operations, 36-hour Rapid Intervention Team Training, Department of Community Health and Trauma Section Paramedic, National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians EMT-Basic, Unified Incident Command,FEMA ICS 100, 200, 700, 800, 8 hour Farm Confined Space Rescue, 8 hour Propane Emergencies Program, Emergency Response to Railway Incidents ERRI Course,
    Fire Fighters Training Council approved Driver Training Course, American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support CPR and AED, Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings Awareness Level, 8 hour Foam Stream and Flammable Liquids Class.
    -30-

Reply: Note the qualifications section that is used in a regular job or corporate resume:

QUALIFICATIONS
    As a part-time firefighter/ EMT for the Township Fire Department, I have responded to hundreds of service calls ranging from simple citizenís assists to industrial structure fires. I have the ability to perform the tasks appointed to me without reservation. I have completed firefighter I & II, as well as Hazmat awareness and operations through County Fire Chiefís Association. I am a state licensed EMT-Basic and have received my certificate of completion as a paramedic. I am a member of the County Technical Rescue Team, as well as the Rapid Intervention Team for the Fire Department.

Reply: This is a duplication of what is already on the resume. It takes up valuable space, causes you to use a smaller fount and is seldom read.

Education and certification should be the same category. Note how jumbled the certifications are. Did you know this candidate has completed his medic requirements and will have his medic cert soon? Maybe this candidate would attach their certs for a road map to figure out the resume. Sending raters on a treasure hunt doesnít always work in your favor during the interview.

Hereís the revised resume:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588

OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position as a professional firefighter in the state.

Professional Experience:

Paramedic Associate of Applied Science Emergency Medical Technology (Oct 2007)

Firefighter/EMT, Charter Township Fire Department 2006-Present
    Responsible for fire prevention, community education, fire suppression and EMS

Firefighter/EMT, Volunteer Fire Department 2004-2006
    Responsible for fire suppression, community education and Emergency Medical Service

Emergency Room Technician, ABC Hospital 2006-Present
    Responsible for the triage and care of patients as well as I.V placement and E.K.G. application or anything else the other duties assigned by E.R. staff.

Paraeducator, Area Schools 2003-Present
    Responsible for the education and welfare of school-aged physically and mentally handicapped children.

Service Technician, Quick Lube. 2005-2006
    Responsible for sales, customer service, and physical labor on customer vehicles.

EDUCATION:

Paramedic Associate of Applied Science Emergency Medical Technology (Oct 2007)
    Associate of Science Degree
    Firefighter I & II
    Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Operations
    Rapid Intervention 36-hour Team Training
    Department of Community Health and Trauma Section Paramedic
    EMT-Basic
    Unified Incident Command
    FEMA ICS 100, 200, 700, 800
    Farm Confined Space Rescue,
    Propane Emergencies Program
    Emergency Response to Railway Incidents ERRI Course
    Fire Fighters Training Council approved Driver Training Course
    American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support CPR and AED
    Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings Awareness Level
    Foam Stream and Flammable Liquids Class

-30-

Reply: Which resume would you like most if you were a panel member?

Note:

The qualifications section was removed. Duplication.

Paramedic is at the top of the resume.

Since the dates were moved to the right side we donít have to stay in chronological order. See how this makes a big difference? Now hitting the panel members right between the eyes coming out swinging with the top three professional Experiences are jumping right off the page in BOLD: Paramedic, Firefighter EMT, Firefighter EMT followed by Emergency Room Tech and Paraeducator. Compare this with the original resume.

The Education and Certifications were combined starting with the most important at the top working down. If needed for space two columns could be used.

After cleaning up the resume there was room to go from a size 10-type fount to a size 12 making is easier to read.

I sent back the revised resume to the candidate asking what he thought of the changes. He replied with:

As to what I think about the changes..... Looks real good! As you have probably heard before I thought my own was excellent and yet in a few keystrokes I am outdone.

The resume is just one of the many areas of an oral board you want to have correct for a seamless no surprises interview.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-21-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I defer to the experts here, because I wouldn't be where I'm at if it weren't for the advice I found on these forums, specifically Capt Bob and Chief Lepore.
    Please don't encourage them. They post enough spam here without any help...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information