Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Messages

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Phone Messages

Phone Messages

Many aspiring firefighters live together with their friends to cut down on expenses and help pay for their education (paramedic, etc.)

We recently conducted a prep class in which an opening occurred and we called the first person on the waiting list. The message on the phone was "you have reached the house of Tim, Jim and Steve, we are unable to answer the phone because we are sitting around drinking beer and doing shots of Crown royal. Leave your name and number and where we met you and how drunk we were when we met you."

It might seem funny but, if that message was on the phone when a department called to bring you in for an oral interview or even a job offer what do you think the officer would do!!! That also goes for cell phone messages.

If you want to start getting that competitive edge immediately over your competition, our 14 day FREE e-mail series covers the written, psychological, oral interview and physical agility. This e-mail series will guide you step by step through the maze of the testing process to help you shorten that learning curve between you and that coveted badge. As soon as you sign-up you will receive the first e-mail with important inside secrets. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!!

Go to the link below for our 14 day e-mail series sign-up
    http://www.fireprep.com/fireprep_com...day_email.html

Top scoring test taking strategies can be found at the link below.
    http://www.fireprep.com/test-taking_...s_for_fir.html

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    what do you think the officer would do!!!
    Kick you off the list!!! Of course!!! Not.

I would venture that the hiring process for most departments is pretty well ironed out. If you're #1 on the appointment list, a tasteless/idiotic/childish phone message by itself is not going to get you bumped off. It may, however, lower the opinions of a few key officers depending on who hears it and who talks about it, something that might have to be overcome later if you wish to advance under them. In the big picture, a stupid phone message is not the biggest pile of demerits that can be scored.

On the other hand, if the call is to arrange your interview, and the caller is either on the interview team or knows who will be, I agree that there is damage to be avoided.

Overall, the advice is sound. I would not leave a general number if there is any chance it will get answered by a drunken idiot. Send all calls to your cell phone and leave a professional greeting.

==============

The rest of your post is dangerously close to prohibited spam.

Last edited by ElectricHoser; 07-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    The rest of your post is dangerously close to prohibited spam.
    "The rest"? The whole frackkin' post is spam... What's with these people -- and there's more than one -- who seem to think that this forum exists solely to advertise their snake-oil services?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    "The rest"? The whole frackkin' post is spam...
    I was being charitable.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

I go along with the original posting from Don McNea. Here's why:

Almost everything you do in trying to become a firefighter will make and impression. Good or bad. Since we return many calls we often experience:

It begins with loud rap or other offensive (to me and those who do the hiring) music. Then, a duet of how cool they are and using up the entire time the system will allow them to let you know how theyíre not available. Pressing the star or pound keys does not let you bypass the message. It almost sounds like a demo tape auditioning for a recording contract.

Or, momís voice giving instructions on what number to press to leave a message for the wonder child.

How about no message at all? Just the long beeb. Or this: Iím so uninterested in life, hung over, depressed, life seems to owe me something-----Hey, leave a message. Or, you or one of your partners in crime picking up the phone with no polite greeting, just YEA.

The power has gone off at some time and the message is the electronic default generic I donít know if I have the right number.

How about this one? You call and this security sounding voice announces that it doesnít recognize your number, could you speak your name so we can verify who you are. After what seems like an eternity it comes back stating we are trying to locate your party or states we donít recognize your information and hangs up. Is this guy with the CIA or in the witness protection program? Oh, yea, thatís the anal guy we want to hire. Just because you paranoid doesnít mean theyíre not after you.

My son called a candidate for coaching. He lived at home. There was an extended religious message on the home phone with a calling to God. When Rob called back the dad answered. When he mentioned this might not be the best impression for his son opportunity, the dad said well, they probably need it too and would not change it. O.K., weíre praying for the candidate.

Another had a message opening with music and the candidates voice with the invitation to walk on the wild side. It went from there. Poor baby.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Good advice, but I would take it one step further and suggest that care be taken when picking email addresses (and forum user names) as well. I'm sure it wouldn't leave a very good first impression to have an email address on your resume like FindEmHotandLeaveEmWet@I'mSoCo ol.com.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Good advice, but I would take it one step further and suggest that care be taken when picking email addresses (and forum user names) as well. I'm sure it wouldn't leave a very good first impression to have an email address on your resume like FindEmHotandLeaveEmWet@I'mSoCo ol.com.
    I just emailed you...

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

LOL

Do chicks actually fall for that line? I just can't imagine a guy coming up to me and saying "hey baby I'm a firefighter, we find 'em hot and leave 'em wet, wanna go home and ... ?"

But then again, I'm not exactly one of those "hot chicks" (no pun intended) or badge bunnies who would likely be approached in such a manner anyway.

I've seen some other unprofessional email addresses and forum names, but I can't seem to recall any at the moment. Something to do with burning, name made it seem like the kid was an arsonist.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Gets Better

Steve Prziborowski
    Battalion Chief
    Firehouse.Com Contributor
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=25

I think it's called natural selection.

Seriously, it is a big problem. Take a deep look and listen to your phone message (home phone, cell phone, etc.), and try to objectively think how a fire chief (or other fire department representative) or a city personnel staff member would feel when they hear something inappropriate as such?

You may think it is funny or cute or whatever, but once again, zoom out ten clicks and take a look at the big picture. It's not about you - it's about what others think about you. Yes, perception is someone else's reality.

I've lost count of the number of messages left on my cellular phone that I've attempt to recontact, that I didn't even know if it was the right person or right number, or what to think when I heard their message.

Is it worth missing out on a chance at the best career in the world? You make the call.

I've heard everything from someone sounding like they were Luther Vandross or Rico Suave trying to serenade you to take off your clothes, to someone who thought they were auditioning for Animal House, a Rap video/cd or just paying homage to their favorite musician. This also goes for people who think it is cute to have their little ones leave the recording. It may be cute to you, but it can be quite annoying. The bottom line is you never know who you may offend or annoy, and if you want to be successful, play it safe and yes, sterile. "Hi, this is John, I am unable to come to the phone, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can, have a great day."

Isn't the best predictor of future behavior past behavior? Don't firefighters have to answer phones at the fire station and present themselves in the best light to the public? Just a thought.

If we're talking about phone messages, take a similar look at your email address. It may seem funny or cute to you when you initially created it, but how does it look to an industry professional offering you a job? Stick to your first and last name and you typically can't go wrong.

Call it discrimination, call it personal opinion, call it creativity, or call it uniqueness, it doesn't matter. What matters is you learn from the successes and failures of others and make your own informed opinion.

Steve Prziborowski
    Battalion Chief
    www.chabotfire.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-22-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Forum Member

Default Fyi

For the last five years Asst. Chief Brent Collins of Don McNea Fire School, Batt Chief Stever Prziborowski, Dr. Jen Milus, Captain Bob, Batt Chief Paul LePore and others have been contributing authors for Firehouse.com Career Articles section and the monthly e-mail news letter.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8

Firehouse.com gives their contributors editorial courtesy to include their web site information in the tag line of their forum postings.

They have answered countless e-mails and phone calls from candidates to help them reach their goal of becoming firefighters.

Captain Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    For the last five years ....
    Firehouse.com gives their contributors editorial courtesy to include their web site information in the tag line of their forum postings.
    That doesn't give them the right to spam the forums with their ads.

Forum Member

Iíve been assisting firefighter and promotional candidates in gaining the skills to gain their badges for more than 30 years. Every once in a while a malcontent seagull flies in, rips apart a posting of time tested proven information, takes a dump and flies away to another forum on a web site to continue their black negative cartoon show as if it was a birth right.

They canít or wonít list their success rate in helping candidates gain their badges but only criticize those who do. Iím constantly baffled. I saw the same thing working in the fire service. These guys would bid stations to feed on their poison. The collateral damage extended to those around them including their families.

Iím constantly baffled why? Go play in your own sand box.

Default What's the problem???

Hey you all need to lighten up!!! If you need help and want to go to a web site to get it so be it. Nobody is twisting your arm. Those who peddle their wares have the right to do so...those who wish to complain have that right also. Obviously some of us out here will help without leaving their web site. I do not have one and I'm available to help those who ask. I do not charge a dime as my help is free. It's up to those who ask for my help to use it.
    If you choose to complain try to do it elsewhere as there are people trying to get their dream job.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

All right, if CaptBob won't come out and say it plainly, I'll share a tidbit I learned via a congenial private email exchange with him that he initiated.

Although posting links to commercial sites for personal gain is prohibited on the forums, he revealed to me that there exists an "editorial courtesy", an exemption, if you will, for Firehouse contributors. dmfireschool and CaptBob fall into this category.

I think that the input these guys offer hopeful career-seekers is of value, but I would suggest - to limit the sniping and flak - that they confine these types of posts and links to threads started by others looking for help, instead of starting new threads out of a clear blue sky which appear only intended to drum up business.

Just my $0.02 of advice, to keep the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Those who peddle their wares have the right to do so...those who wish to complain have that right also.
    Actually, no, they don't have "right" to do any such thing here.

Anyone who wants to "peddle their wares" on FH.com is welcome to buy advertising space. Otherwise they need to abide by the rules like everybody else and keep the incessant spam and crossposting out of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Actually, no, they don't have "right" to do any such thing here.

Anyone who wants to "peddle their wares" on FH.com is welcome to buy advertising space. Otherwise they need to abide by the rules like everybody else and keep the incessant spam and crossposting out of the forum.
    If they want to put their web address at the bottom who cares AS LONG AS the rest of their post is actual advice and not just a "Joe Bob wants to be a fire fighter all he has to do is.....go to my website for the rest of the answer". Good free advice from these guys is a goos thing, teaser advise to be used as a free infomercial is a bad thing. In this thread they have provided good free advice.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    If they want to put their web address at the bottom who cares
    Agreed. A simple web link in a sig is perfectly acceptable and actually a pretty standard netiquette allowance. (PaulGrimwood's simple sig link is a good example.)

However, IMHO, multiple web links embedded in blatant ad copy are pushing the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    teaser advise to be used as a free infomercial is a bad thing. In this thread they have provided good free advice.
    In too many cases the innocuous "teaser advice" -- i.e. "buy my stuff for more advice" -- seems ends up melding into testimonials from happy customers and long article reprints all leading seamlessly into the conveniently appended sig with it's ubiquitous ad copy and links...

Sorry, if you allow advertising on a forum from anybody you have to allow it from everybody.

Default Fair is Fair

O.K. so let me get this correct...You have the right to complain but Those who want to help can't?? Is that the way YOU see it??
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Seriously.....Don't any of you have anything better to do with your time?

Default Time???

I'm retired and have plenty of time. That's where I try to help those that ask. Not those who interject!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information