Question Firefighting and Math

I'm not very skilled in math and was wondering is there a lot of math done on the job? I am looking into being on Truck Company and I know that you have to measure your cuts on the roof and so on. But I guess what I'm saying is you don't have to be a math wiz to be a firefighter do you?

Forum Member

Talking

The only tme "math" comes into play is when you have to figure out hydraulic calculations.. and most of that is for a promotional exam.

I've been in the business for 26+ years, and have never seen a pump operator using any hydraulic formulas while operating a pump at a fire. In the real world, we use fireground hydraulics. If you can add, subtract and multiply, you're all set. If you're off by 5 psi+-, it's no big deal. Most people have a "cheat sheet" that they use to figure out pump pressures based on diameter of the line, the length and the type of nozzle on the line.

As for truck work.. most of those knuckledragging neanderthals can't count past ten without taking off a boot

Truckies will probably get the following order from their company officer..

Hey Thag! Give me a big (expletive deleted) hole right there!
    Make a big honking hole where the CO tells you, you'll have no problem!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information