Thread: CAFS Nozzles

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CAFS Nozzles

Can those with "experience" with CAFS (Waterous or Hale) systems tell me the best type (Brand, Model) of hand line nozzles to use for using CAFS on the following discharges'

Trashline 1-3/4"
    Crosslays 1-3/4" and 2-1/2"
    2-1/2" Discharges

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

When we got our truck a few years ago we were told "you gotta have a straight bore nozzle with a 15/16 tip on it. Now days I here just a straight bore nozzle. I will say all of the nozzles we have do work very well.

MembersZone Subscriber

TFT has a new CAFS Fog nozzle out that seems to work quite well. I had a chance to play with one and it seemed to work quite well. It is a dual selection nozzle that can operate in "Water" or "CAFS" modes.

I had always used a standard straight bore nozzle and as many of you know there is quite a bit of reaction with this method of operation. This new nozzle seems to take quite a bit of that away.

http://www.tft.com/newsite/literatur...es/LIH-110.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddmcbr View Post
    I had always used a standard straight bore nozzle and as many of you know there is quite a bit of reaction with this method of operation. This new nozzle seems to take quite a bit of that away.
    Yeah, because it's a fog nozzle! The volume of a solid bore stream is lost. No thanks I'll keep my straight streams.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yeah, because it's a fog nozzle! The volume of a solid bore stream is lost. No thanks I'll keep my straight streams.
    True.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with CAFS or this new nozzle. From the times I have been around CAFS though, I was able to make phenomenal foam with a 1 1/2 smooth bore.

If you look at the nozzle in the PDF, you can see that you can unscrew the fog nozzle and have a smooth bore in a matter of seconds.

Forum Member

Hi SAFETEK,

My department has been using CAFS for 9 years now. I have tried and played with many types of nozzles with a CAFSystem.

The nozzle that works the best is a simple ball valve (w/1 3/8" ball opening), with a pistal grip and a 15/16" removable tip. This works great on 1 1/2", 1 3/4" and 2" handlines. For a 2 1/2" handline we flow out of the open bale ( 1 3/8"). It does not matter who makes it. It is a ball valve. ON or OFF.

A fog nozzle will work the worst with CAFS as it srips or pops the bubbles and ruins the advatages of a CAFS attack line.

As for the TFT CAFS nozzle, I have tried this nozzle and it worked just like a FOG nozzle. Because it is a fog nozzle. Short and sweet of it, it POPS bubbles.

Also do search on Firehouse as there have many other postd on this topic.

Hope this helps.

Captain Lou
    "GOTFOAM?"

Forum Member

We run akron saber jet nozzles with a 1" smooth bore, on our 1 3/4 lines. The saber jet is a combination nozzle, but it offers a ture smoothbore, this is controled by the bail. You have the option of a fog stream, this is controled by turning the nozzle head, the nozzle head is actually the bail for the fog stream. It take some retraining but we have found once you get used to them they work well. Our 2 1/2" lines have a ball valve (play pipe) with a 1 1/4" nozzle. The only combination nozzles we have found that give okay foam (read not great) is TFT duo force nozzles set on the low pressure setting. Like any combination nozzle they strip air from the CAF, but in a pinch they will work okay, but you won't get the same results as a smooth bore.

Forum Member

On our handlines, we have tried various combinations but settled on the open butt of 1 1/2" ball valve with a pistol grip. They have the 1 3/8" opening on the inside.

For our 2 1/2 line, we use a TFT Blitzfire with a 2" straight tip. Puts out a heck of a lot of fire and, if necessary, is a 1 person operation. Had a fully involved house with a short crew, 1 person grabbed it, picked a spot and hit the fire, shut down, moved, nailed some more fire, he hit 2 sides of that building by himself and knocked most of it. It was a beautiful thing!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Cafs

Don"t know that it is the best available but we run the pistol grip shut off with 1 3/8 opening with a screw on 15/16 slug and an Elkhart Sm20 nozzle. We have also chosen Ponn Conquest because of less kinking with the CAFS.
    Our 4 1/2 cents worth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CAFS Nozzles & Hose

THANKS to those who've responded and greatly appreciated knowing what other FD's are using and not listening to sales hype. So further to this would those who use AKRON give me their 2 cents (3 cents in the US) as well as anyone about what 1-3/4" and 2-1/2" Double Jacket hose works best with CAFS.

Thanks

Forum Member

As fireresource said the Ponn Connquest works pretty decent in both sizes of hose. We utilize all A-B nozzles and we have Turbojets with break-a-Ways that allow us to then have 15/16 orfice for smooth bore, and we have the newer saberjets that work well also.

We have not had any problems out of the ordinary and they are easily maintained as any other nozzle. We had TFT hand line nozzles prior to these and we were not impressed at all. We do use the TFT blitzfires but the handline nozzles then did not get it for us.

My .02 Cents worth

Thread Information