Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    slfd07
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile all explorers/jrs.

what is your best drill?

Any drill as long as something gets taken away from it. Of course having some fun at it doesn't hurt either.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

"Best Drill" - Well I would have to say our FAST drills. We drill for 1-1.5 hours, and thats it. They're sweet and to the point. We practice one FAST skill, and after a couple months, do a scenario, and use them all. They're really run well.

"Favorite Drill" - Definitely acquired structures. It's fun to actually smoke up a house, and go in to find victims and stretch hose. Plus, you don't know the set up of the house, so it's a challenge.

"Important Must Do Drill" - I would say is our Riding Positions drill. We sit, it's a power point for about 3 hours. And we go over the riding positions on Truck, Engine, and Squad. Then we do reduces staffing for all these truck assignments. While doing that we go over what each positions job is at the scene, and what tools they need to carry up. It's one of the most important drills I've been to.

Forcible entry and attack lines

our Mock Disaster Day we attend every year.

But drills held at our station..................

Probably where we smoke up and search a large office building (used to be a part of the big glass factory in town, now owned by my boss) or we did some searches in a big acquired house in a neighboring town. Those drills are usually the most fun for me.

Pt. extrication drills from MVA's can be fun, as can just regular scenario drills which can include anything from an ill person to a MVA and a structure fire to a person down in a ravine.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

slfd07
    Firehouse.com Guest

**The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Quote Originally Posted by slfd07 View Post
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

That is very good to know, but is there any knowledge thats going to be given with this post?

Honest question, just a little confused...

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    That is very good to know, but is there any knowledge thats going to be given with this post?

Honest question, just a little confused...
    Go look at some of his other posts. This is the same guy who's "knowledge" figures Juniors should be having lights and sirens. He is also the same guy that says instead of taking 3 or 4 company's out of service for a mutual aid calls, that high school kids should pick up the slack and leave school to answer calls. What great insight.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Would someone please put this idiot out of his misery?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not know that HotTrotter could have children, But I was wrong.
    Go find your daddy and gain some more knowledge.

T.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    I did not know that HotTrotter could have children, But I was wrong.
    Go find your daddy and gain some more knowledge.

T.J.
    Asexual reproduction...he buds and splits off a carbon copy of himself. A number of simple aquatic creatures (aka those lacking but the most basic nervous systems) are capable of it, e.g.: hydra, anemones, starfish, etc. Note that all those critters lack development of nervous tissue beyond simple ganglia... just sayin.
    Last edited by the1141man; 07-25-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

live burns are awesome, hose drills, truck drills...anything hands on where you can learn stuff too
    Last edited by Motorhead90; 08-14-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    live burns are awesome, hose drills, truck drills...anything hands on where you can learn stuff too
    agreed! my favorite is the live burns!!! beats sitting in a classroom listening to many things that can be useless later on in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    agreed! my favorite is the live burns!!! beats sitting in a classroom listening to many things that can be useless later on in life.

As an explorer with absolutely zero firefighting experience (I've used my powers of deduction to look at your name) How could you POSSIBLY know that what you are learning in a classroom drill is useless?

And just so you don't jump on me saying I am attacking explorers, I am also an explorer with zero firefighting experience.

G'day

Classroom learning is a good thing. Without it, hands on would be a hell of a lot more difficult. Sure it gets boring, especially when someone who is long winded teaches, but it needs to be done. You learn the skills, and how to properly use them, and then when the hands-on time comes, you put them to good use.

Everyone wants the hand-on training, but you really do need the classroom stuff too.

As an explorer with absolutely zero firefighting experience (I've used my powers of deduction to look at your name) How could you POSSIBLY know that what you are learning in a classroom drill is useless?

And just so you don't jump on me saying I am attacking explorers, I am also an explorer with zero firefighting experience.

G'day
    You don't need fire experience to know that classroom learning is essential. I've never been in a burning building in real life, but things I learned in a classrom first, then did hands on training, such as pt ssessments, trauma care, spinal immobilization, medical emergencies, splinting, etc, etc, etc have helped me numerous times in the ocurse of my daily life when I happen upon an accident, or an old lady decides to trip on the sidewalk and bounce her head off the concrete, or when someone is having chest pain at church.

Explorer343,

If I were you I would tone it down a little. IIRC, in a nother thread you said that you had just joined. This is a good place to ask questions, but it doesn't seem like you have the explorer crust (LOL) to form an opinion like that.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

G'day
    You misunderstood me. I meant in school.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You don't need fire experience to know that classroom learning is essential. I've never been in a burning building in real life, but things I learned in a classrom first, then did hands on training, such as pt ssessments, trauma care, spinal immobilization, medical emergencies, splinting, etc, etc, etc have helped me numerous times in the ocurse of my daily life when I happen upon an accident, or an old lady decides to trip on the sidewalk and bounce her head off the concrete, or when someone is having chest pain at church.

Explorer343,

If I were you I would tone it down a little. IIRC, in a nother thread you said that you had just joined. This is a good place to ask questions, but it doesn't seem like you have the explorer crust (LOL) to form an opinion like that.
    For one, what does "IIRC" stand for? Another thing, you misunderstood me. I meant in school!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    You misunderstood me. I meant in school.
    Oh. Yea-school sucks.

Thread Information