Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Fat Firefighters

My rant....FF's out of shape, and do nothing about it. I'm alright with the ones that are overweight, realize it, and work on it...but the others that come in with mcdonalds for their breakfast, icecream all day long, and 4 helpings at dinner, really get to me.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this?

Forum Member

I'm surprised no one has responded to this. I hope I'm not the only one on here wanting to promote a healthy lifestyle. Our jobs are dangerous enough.

Forum Member

I agree 100% especially with the high rate of death in our job being heart attacks.

I think maybe your the only insensitive SOB on here and thats why no one responded. Instead of being arrogant about it and calling them Fat you should approach them and ask to help. Maybe there is a problem and they don't know how to fix it. Some people have a serious problem and it needs to be addressed , but not by calling them fat and saying they really get me. Some overweight people have stress issues and they are addicted to eating. Its no different than an alcoholic.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber LFD1MICHAEL's Avatar

Default Don't call them fat

And would you want an alcohalic in the jumpseat next to you covering your A**

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL View Post

I meant its a disease.................... like alcoholism lol
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FFONWATCH View Post
    My rant....FF's out of shape, and do nothing about it. I'm alright with the ones that are overweight, realize it, and work on it...but the others that come in with mcdonalds for their breakfast, icecream all day long, and 4 helpings at dinner, really get to me.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this?

And you are of course perfect in every way?

Look, perhaps instead of being so judgemental you could offer support and help them start a program.

By the way the surest may to go no where is to tell someone in an arrogant condescending tone that they are fat.

FyredUp

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL View Post
    Please tell me you really aren't this stupid. Please.

If you believe that an overweight person and an alcoholic are a comparable
    risk you are simply foolish.

FyredUp

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Click on his profile, enough said!!!!!!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    I think maybe your the only insensitive SOB on here and thats why no one responded. Instead of being arrogant about it and calling them Fat you should approach them and ask to help. Maybe there is a problem and they don't know how to fix it. Some people have a serious problem and it needs to be addressed , but not by calling them fat and saying they really get me. Some overweight people have stress issues and they are addicted to eating. Its no different than an alcoholic.
    Of course I'm not insensitive. I do most of the cooking, but I get a lot of flack for trying to make good, healthy dinners. I don't call them fat...I work out at the station and let them know that I'm working out, so can they.

I'm just saying..quit being so PC...Ok, they're pleasantly plump..is that nice enough?? Like I said, our jobs are hard enough...we need to make it easier on ourselves by at least making an attempt to be healthy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    I meant its a disease.................... like alcoholism lol
    Being fat is like a disease?? You aren't serious, are you?

Truly shows how ignorant and young you are. YES I AM SERIOUS. Do some research and educate yourself.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Yes. Fat people, alcoholics, drug addicts, anorexics, idealists, etectera are all victims. They are not at fault and must be excused, coddled and felt sorry for.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, I can respond to this with 100% CONFIDENCE that I will anger some people but I know of what I speak.

I'm a 38 full time fire officer. I'm 5'10" and not too long ago I weighed 268 lbs. I was fat and it was starting to affect my job and overall health. I also post a LODD list for my department to use for training. One day I realized that I would be lucky if I made it to retire and walk out on MY terms. I was headed for an MI or worse.

With the help of a personal trainer, I changed my diet around (my nickname was double D, double stuff (ORIEO) and several others) and when physically able I begain to run and work out. I am 80lbs lighter and stronger then when I started. I now do cardio and weight training 6 out of 7 days a week. I am basically born again, I have a new lease on life. Bloodwork, vitals, general health, endurance all improved. There is no reason that any firefighter is fat and out of shape. It is a dis service to your department, family and the public we swore to serve.

It wasn't easy, but it is do able. Now numerous guys on my job are also getting in better shape. The culture around the house is changing for the better. Workout equipment that sat idle is now being used by multiple users and the problem is now scheduling time in the weight room.

Firefighters are suposed to be in good shape (and a pear shaped is not good) our brothers depend on us as well as the public. We have to be in fighting shape, their should be no doubt that any of us can physically do the job we love. If your in good shape, encourage the guys who aren't to get in shape. If your not in good shape, Start working out and change how you eat.

You can do it and you should. For yourself your community and your brothers. Get in shape and start today.

Exclamation 1 Hour Can Save Your Life.

Whenever I am working out I always here, "When I was your age I was just like you. Just wait untill your 40 and we will see how you look." Then I think what a cop out *** excuse. I guess by saying that it makes them feel they are justifying the current shape they are in. I am going to be in just as good of shape if not better than I am now . I heard the same thing five years ago and I am actually in better shape today than I have ever been. Get in the ****ing gym for an hour a shift. It's not that hard. RESCUE ME isn't that great of a program!!

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Alright, I am probably going to hurt my appearance on these forums, but I am going to put this out there anyways……

I weigh about 300 pounds, but for my size I don’t really look 300 pounds, but that’s irrelevant. Whenever I go to a fire, with the adrenaline rush and just the fact that I don’t want to make an *** of myself in front of everyone is what pushes me to do a good job. And I know for a fact I can fight a fire, overhaul, and drive a fire truck just as good as anyone else. The only thing that I have trouble in is search and rescue, which is why I told everyone on the department not to assign me to search and rescue and give that to someone more experienced. Everything else I garendamntee I can do just as well as everyone. I may huff and puff a little bit but I am able to control my breathing for the most part. As I said before, the adrenaline rush and proving myself to everyone is what pushes me to do as good of a job as everyone else. And I know that the people on my department believe that too because they never have worries about assigning me to any task on the fireground, unless its search and rescue.

And yes I am doing what I can to try to control my eating and so forth. The department pays for a membership to a local gym and I try to go as much as I can. But losing weight, especially for big people, is a lot easier said than done. Think about that next time before you try to put US down.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Alright, I am probably going to hurt my appearance on these forums, but I am going to put this out there anyways……

I weigh about 300 pounds, but for my size I don’t really look 300 pounds, but that’s irrelevant. Whenever I go to a fire, with the adrenaline rush and just the fact that I don’t want to make an *** of myself in front of everyone is what pushes me to do a good job. And I know for a fact I can fight a fire, overhaul, and drive a fire truck just as good as anyone else. The only thing that I have trouble in is search and rescue, which is why I told everyone on the department not to assign me to search and rescue and give that to someone more experienced. Everything else I garendamntee I can do just as well as everyone. I may huff and puff a little bit but I am able to control my breathing for the most part. As I said before, the adrenaline rush and proving myself to everyone is what pushes me to do as good of a job as everyone else. And I know that the people on my department believe that too because they never have worries about assigning me to any task on the fireground, unless its search and rescue.

And yes I am doing what I can to try to control my eating and so forth. The department pays for a membership to a local gym and I try to go as much as I can. But losing weight, especially for big people, is a lot easier said than done. Think about that next time before you try to put US down.

That's great you have a motivation to do well on the fireground. But with all do respect there isn't a ****ing chance you could keep up with me climbing stairs, pulling hose, or anything else for that matter. I'm not trying to sound like a cocky ***** but lets not kid yourself here. I never intentionally put anyone down so if I did I want to apologize. I encourage everyone at my department to eat healthy and take care of themselves and eachother. After all WE ARE FAMILY. Putting people down isn't always a good thing but to some it just might turn a light on for them and maybe give them the motivation you get when your on the fireground.

Even IF you could keep up with everyone in your company. Your body might be working 200 times harder than theres' is doing the same level of work. Then you go back to the station like many have in the past and never wake back up.

Everyone stay safe and take care of yourselfs. If you don't knowone else will.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    That's great you have a motivation to do well on the fireground. But with all do respect there isn't a ****ing chance you could keep up with me climbing stairs, pulling hose, or anything else for that matter. I'm not trying to sound like a cocky ***** but lets not kid yourself here. I never intentionally put anyone down so if I did I want to apologize. I encourage everyone at my department to eat healthy and take care of themselves and eachother. After all WE ARE FAMILY. Putting people down isn't always a good thing but to some it just might turn a light on for them and maybe give them the motivation you get when your on the fireground.

Even IF you could keep up with everyone in your company. Your body might be working 200 times harder than theres' is doing the same level of work. Then you go back to the station like many have in the past and never wake back up.

Everyone stay safe and take care of yourselfs. If you don't knowone else will.
    This is exactly why I am doing what I can to fix the problem. Because I don’t want to be a headline on firehouse.com with “Warren County Volunteer dies of heart failure after fire”.

MembersZone Subscriber

BFD said you are the only insensitive SOB on here. That's great, he must be a out of shape lazy fat guy. Every dept. that I have been to or read about had some kind of physical fitness program. Your getting paid to at least workout for an hour or so. No excuses. If you want to be fat and out of shape, I don't care, but get a desk job. There are lives at stake on this job. People say it is an addiction, but that is bull****. Even if it is, there is a way to get past it. I had a systems alarm a while back, and I was behind a fat firefigher on a stariway going to the 11th floor. I was kinda nervous because he sounded like he was about the die. He could have fell and it would be like dominos from there. Don't make excuses. Get it done or get a different career you lazy f***s.

MembersZone Subscriber

BFD said you are the only insensitive SOB on here. That's great, he must be a out of shape lazy fat guy. Every dept. that I have been to or read about had some kind of physical fitness program. Your getting paid to at least workout for an hour or so. No excuses. If you want to be fat and out of shape, I don't care, but get a desk job. There are lives at stake on this job. People say it is an addiction, but that is bull****. Even if it is, there is a way to get past it. I had a systems alarm a while back, and I was behind a fat firefigher on a stariway going to the 11th floor. I was kinda nervous because he sounded like he was about the die. He could have fell and it would be like dominos from there. Don't make excuses. Get it done or get a different career you lazy f***s.

Thread Information