MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rutherford County EMS

Hey all,

Does anyone work for RCEMS or know anything about them? How is the reputation? Does RCEMS cover the city of Murfreesboro? Do the employees enjoy working for Rutherford county? What is the relationship with the fire departments? Just anything anyone could tell me about RCEMS would be helpful.

Thanks
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever you do in life do it with passion and enthusiasm and you will always be a winner." Steve Irwin

Greg

hey man, bout your question, they seem to have their stuff together. the guys are pretty cool for the most part. they do cover murfreesboro, smyrna, and county. i work with a guy that works part time for them and he likes it pretty well. they seem to be a laid back department and run their share of calls

Forum Member

I volunteered in Rutherford County with one of the Rescue Squads for close to 10 years.

RCEMS covers the entire county, including the cities of Murfreesboro, Lavergne, and Smyrna. Here's my personal opinion:

#1 - Some of the best EMT's/Paramedics in the state

#2 - Seems their equipment is in good shape and their protocols are some of the more advanced around (RSI, etc)

....this portion has been removed, but not forgotten...
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 10-12-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Default I Know A Thing Or Two!!!

Rcems Is An Absolutly Wonderful Place To Work. I Have Been Here Almost 20 Years And Can't Dream Of A Life Without It. As For Others Who Feel A Little Left Out, They Dont Have Much Good To Say About Anywhere In Mid. Tn. Wrong Info On Nashville Fire, Wrong Info In Rutherford County Ems. Filled With Knowledge But Very Little Of It Correct. Stick To The Airstrip Sgt. Scott. Give Us The Info On Incoming Flights And Departures And Weather That Might Be Correct. Just My Opinion!!!

Forum Member

Paramedics are needed for special teams just as anyone else is, but for the amount of actual "specialty rescue" calls, I stand by my original statement, a full-time unit is unwarranted.

As far as the airport remark goes, well, for those who know what I do and the amount of money I make, I will take this versus riding in a back of an ambulance anyday (criminal investigations/arrests, fires, medicals, local/state/federal training, graduate school reimbursement, drug interdiction). But let's stick to the facts and try to keep the personal attacks out of it.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 10-12-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Member

Angry Get your facts right!!!!!

If the rescue squad was so great than how come 1 of them is shut down several times a week? This leaves that part of the county open with no coverage.

Why did the rescue squad you tried to run almost go out of business?

Do most extrications only require 1 person because that is what the rescue squads send to an MVA, along with little training and barely able to drive?

SORT does more than MVA's. How about providing Hazmat to District 6 (6 counties) along with other highly technical rescues.

Not all paramedics are RSI certified, SORT provides this on all traumatic accidents.

There are several times that ambulance personal have had to take over the extrication tools on scene becuase people you trained did not know how to use them, this was before SORT was running full time.

SORT has never responded into the cities unless requested.

Yes if SORT shut down than things would go back to the way they were, more people would get hurt and extrications would be prolonged do to the lack of man power that the rescue squads provide.

Put all the facts out there next time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by realman View Post
    If the rescue squad was so great than how come 1 of them is shut down several times a week? This leaves that part of the county open with no coverage.

Why did the rescue squad you tried to run almost go out of business?

Do most extrications only require 1 person because that is what the rescue squads send to an MVA, along with little training and barely able to drive?

SORT does more than MVA's. How about providing Hazmat to District 6 (6 counties) along with other highly technical rescues.

Not all paramedics are RSI certified, SORT provides this on all traumatic accidents.

There are several times that ambulance personal have had to take over the extrication tools on scene becuase people you trained did not know how to use them, this was before SORT was running full time.

SORT has never responded into the cities unless requested.

Yes if SORT shut down than things would go back to the way they were, more people would get hurt and extrications would be prolonged do to the lack of man power that the rescue squads provide.

Put all the facts out there next time.
    If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to send me your email or change your setting to accept private messages. I believe I have an easy solution to answer this argument...

If you have a problem with the way vehicle extrication has been provided for the last 40 years, then take it up with the county government who pays $90k a year to the squads to continue to provide the service, otherwise, you're wasting your breath.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 10-11-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Talking

Look I am tired of reading about this soap opera. I don't know much but i do know that the all squirrels love nuts .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelhunter View Post
    Look I am tired of reading about this soap opera. I don't know much but i do know that the all squirrels love nuts .
    Especially paid ones...

WOW, I see not much has changed in the past ten years. If you haven't found your answers yet, I will try to help w/o the drama. I've worked in emergency medicine all over the planet. I started in Rutherford CO. And it is still in my opinion they are the best there is. The rescue squad rivalry has been going on for years, and frankly I'm surprised that the squads still exist in Rutherford CO. There are some great folks on that work for the rescue squads, but they are poorly funded. Which is a shame, from what I have seen a department dedicated to extrication is potentially so much more efficient in extrication, then a fire dept. that does extrication and fire. I learned from Smyrna rescue (years ago) and have taught techniques to fire, and EMS agencies all over.
    My wife also worked in dispatch for RCEMS. She loved the department and the people. That was more than ten years ago, but she still talks to some of the folks she worked with.

Forum Member

USNAVYDOC, I'm sure I remeber you because I was on Smyrna Rescue Squad at the same time as you and at one time it was a very efficently run and operated Rescue Squad.I really enjoyed it when I was a member and working with RCEMS was fun and a pleasure they were very professional in there responces / care of patients.I've been told in the last few yrs that things have gotten worse with the rescue squads but since I know longer live in Rytherford County I cant say for sure.If you are whom I think you are your initals are CB and your wifes is TB if so say hello to her for me DP./919

Thread Information