Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Volunteer Firefighter Requirements

We are a fulltime fire department, looking to put volunteers on. I need some input, on what guidelines to put in affect to keep them involved and active. Looking for basically requirements to be an active member. Examples would be like attend x amount of trainings, meetings, fire runs. How many hours per year would be sutable to ask them to sit duty along side the fulltimers? This is the info I need. How do you do yours? TIA

MembersZone Subscriber

I serve as a vollie LT on a combo dept in Texas. We require volunteers to attend two training drills each month, along with one business meeting. We are responsible for responding to structure fires mainly (at least 25% of structure fires in a given year), but we can ride out with the paid personnel whenever we want to/have time to.

When things get hairy, i.e. all three medic units are out and maybe an engine, the Shift Commander will tone out for volunteers to report to Central Station for manpower.

It works well for us, although right now we are low on volunteers, since we are a primarily paid department and don't advertise enough. Our vollies get whatever training they want--minimum 70 hours before they get gear, and three of us got our basic cert last year.

Hope that helps--PM me if you have any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

About my best answer is try looking here. I know there is a secure login for us member types, but there might be something in the generic stuff that could be of help:

http://vms.fcvfra.org/about.cfm

also try:

www.vvfd.org

There might be some additional helpful stuff in there too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

In my dept. volunteers are given a standby night. They're required to show up on a specific night(they choose their own night)and ride from 5PM to 7AM. We also must attend the membership meeting which is held once a month. To fill the saturday spot we have an "extra duty calendar". Members are required to sign up every so often on a saturday(either the day or night shift). It's worked very well for us so far.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..................

We're also a Combo department, but our Fulltimers work Daywork/weekdays only, with Volunteers covering nights, weekends, holidays. We operate a Fire Engine, a Rescue Engine, a BLS Ambulance, and a Brush Truck. We have ordered a Heavy Rescue from Pierce, and we're looking for money to acquire a Tower Ladder as well. With this much equipment, we're always recruiting new Volunteers.

Our Training is done thru the P.G.County Training Academy and the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute. We require FF I and EMT-B within 30 months of joining, along with the "small" items like HazMat Awareness, CPR, etc.

Our Duty Tours are 8 hours per week, but most folks exceed that by some time. ( I usually put in 20 hours or more) One thing that we try to do is provide all the amenities that we can, Gym Equipment, Big Screen TVs, Car Wash bay, Big Kitchen, etc, to encourage eveyone to "Hang Out" as much as they wish. In turn, this boosts the crew sizes, and provides the means of putting more apparatus on the street. We currently have about 45 active responders, 6 trainees, and about 20 administrative/support folks. Officers are: Chief, Asst. Chief, Deputy Chief (me) 4 Captains and 4 Lieutenants. Officers obviously require more training and experience, which can get rather lengthly. (I have Nat. Pro Board Fire Officer IV, among other things.) This works well for us, but I'm sure everyone has some variations.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information