Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default truck companies?

Does anybody have any info on any east coast urban areas that are hiring and have a decent number of truck companies?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Virginia Beach, VA is taking applications..... Not sure on the amount of trucks, but is a fairly large department and you cant get any closer to the "east coast"..............

MembersZone Subscriber

I have actually been in touch with Virginia Beach Dept. and Im considerering putting in an applicatin. Do you know what there hiring process is like and how many FF's they are looking to hire? Also, Do you know if they will accept a New Jersey firefihgter 1 certification because I will be completing my firefighter 1 class on saturday. Do you know what their pay scale is and what benefits they offer. IM just wondering because I would be moving from New Jersey and I dont want to move to join a fire dept. and then not be able to afford to live there.
    Last edited by arowett; 07-24-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Forum Member

its going to be pretty hard to find a fire department that doesn't have a something acting as a truck company, be it a quint or a "genuine" truck

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    I have actually been in touch with Virginia Beach Dept. and Im considerering putting in an applicatin. Do you know what there hiring process is like and how many FF's they are looking to hire? Also, Do you know if they will accept a New Jersey firefihgter 1 certification because I will be completing my firefighter 1 class on saturday. Do you know what their pay scale is and what benefits they offer. IM just wondering because I would be moving from New Jersey and I dont want to move to join a fire dept. and then not be able to afford to live there.
    1. www.vbgov.com/fire follow the links. Application process, application and pay scale.

2. No. All recruits must attend the Tidewater Regional Fire Academy (TRFA). No qualification or certification will carry over. All EMT's must test out at the EMT-Enhanced level (Va qual only).

3. Cost of living is rising. However, fairly decent non-ghetto apartments and townhomes are available. Virigina Beach currently is exanpding by one ladder company, and is already running all three shifts with holes, equating to hold overs and OT.

4. I am just a volunteer. So benefits and insurance questions will need to be asked to Human Resources.

5. Nobody in the Hampton Roads area starts probies on ladders. They all start on engines. On that note, worry about getting the job, getting through the academy. Then begin to ponder company assignment. As a senior man once told me, Learn the engine and how to fight fire before you worry about crossing the floor going to the truck.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 07-24-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im am just wondering about number of truck companies because I would eventually like to be able to get onto a truck company I understand that most departments start probies on engines but I am trying to look to the future at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing you should understand is that while some places have Truck companies they are in name only.

And by that I mean they are more or less an Engine company with a big Ladder on top that is only there because ISO or someone requires the apparatus.

But in reality you should be more concerned with learning the job in the Engine first...besides why be a fireman's helper when you can be a fireman!

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Im am just wondering about number of truck companies because I would eventually like to be able to get onto a truck company I understand that most departments start probies on engines but I am trying to look to the future at the same time.
    Look too far into the future and you will miss the present passing you by. Get the job first, trust us.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anybody have any info on wilmington delaware because their public informations officer will be out of the office until monday. Also, I was considering looking at Provience, Rhoe Island but their website isnt very helpful.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    But in reality you should be more concerned with learning the job in the Engine first...besides why be a fireman's helper when you can be a fireman!

FTM-PTB

Now, Now FFFRED
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

with such competetion for jobs, seems like you should be more concerned about getting a badge. You can't work on a truck, without working for an FD

Forum Member

Ahhhh...
    D.C.
    Baltimore
    FDNY
    Boston
    Phillie

Just to name a few. Maybe a waiting list, but all are or will be testing....

MembersZone Subscriber

yea I took the FDNY test but Im just looking around other areas also

Thread Information