Forum Member

Default I dont lie!/RE callaway

let me tell you something callaway, My significant other and best friend is a sheriff and he went with me to watch my test, in his words that hose was 6 inches of charged line! I could not wrap one hand around it, It took two hands to grab and I'm not a small woman!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by maxkolbe View Post
    let me tell you something callaway, My significant other and best friend is a sheriff and he went with me to watch my test, in his words that hose was 6 inches of charged line! I could not wrap one hand around it, It took two hands to grab and I'm not a small woman!

LMAO You are telling me they asked you to move a fire hose bigger than this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    LMAO You are telling me they asked you to move a fire hose bigger than this one?
    you go right ahead and laugh your ***** off, yeah that looks like the hose and later when Ed gets home from work I'll show him that picture and ask him to tell you if it looks like the one I had to drag!

Forum Member

You obviously don't know what size hose you were asked to handle. What is normally referred to as LDH(large diameter hose) is usually 5", is yellow, and when charged, I can't even lift, and I am 6'5" and 250 lbs. This hose is normally used to hook up the big red truck to the little yellow fire hydrant, which in turn gives you lots of water to put out the fire. The water goes through the pump, and bamo, it comes out of the smaller hose which we refer to as; handline, pre-connect, mattydale, attack line, etc. This is the hose with the nozzle on the end that is usually called 1.75", 2", or 2.5". Are you following? These smaller size hoses are a normal part of everyday firefighting, and are used for agility tests in some places. The 2.5" hose is large in diameter, and even I can barely get my large hands around the hose, and yes, it is heavy. Not knowing the size of your hands, but I'll guess average, I would bet my pension that you in fact were asked to hump one of the smaller lines that I mentioned.

Now to the fact that you chose to reply to my post with a new thread to try and call me out. I will say this, you posted a couple of threads with varying sizes, the first saying 4" the second saying 6". Proof positive that you haven't a clue as to what size hose you were handling. I deducted from your differences that you simply added a couple inches to the size to make your case a little stronger in your favor. Now, I may have been wrong, and for that I apologize. Happy yet? I fail to see how your "significant other" and "best friend" have anything to do with this, although being a Sherriff, he could probably let you know when they will be hiring next, as that may be a career you are better suited for. So let ME tell you something, YOU FAILED, not me, I am already on this great job. You can either take the advice I posted in your other thread which was to train harder, or keep coming back on here uninformed and waste time.

Forum Member

Max, your significant other has no idea what he's talking about and is doing you a disservice by misinforming you. I guarantee you did not pick up a 6 inch line and drag it any distance at all. The test is not designed to fail people, it is designed to test their abilities. You failed and you know who's fault that is? Yours. You need to start getting educated about this dream you are trying to pursue so that you can more effectively achieve you goals. Crying and looking for sympathy will not help you here.

MembersZone Subscriber

well said callaway

Forum Member

Cool The "TRUTH" Hurts When It's Not What You Want TO Hear

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    You obviously don't know what size hose you were asked to handle. What is normally referred to as LDH(large diameter hose) is usually 5", is yellow, and when charged, I can't even lift, and I am 6'5" and 250 lbs. This hose is normally used to hook up the big red truck to the little yellow fire hydrant, which in turn gives you lots of water to put out the fire. The water goes through the pump, and bamo, it comes out of the smaller hose which we refer to as; handline, pre-connect, mattydale, attack line, etc. This is the hose with the nozzle on the end that is usually called 1.75", 2", or 2.5". Are you following? These smaller size hoses are a normal part of everyday firefighting, and are used for agility tests in some places. The 2.5" hose is large in diameter, and even I can barely get my large hands around the hose, and yes, it is heavy. Not knowing the size of your hands, but I'll guess average, I would bet my pension that you in fact were asked to hump one of the smaller lines that I mentioned.

Now to the fact that you chose to reply to my post with a new thread to try and call me out. I will say this, you posted a couple of threads with varying sizes, the first saying 4" the second saying 6". Proof positive that you haven't a clue as to what size hose you were handling. I deducted from your differences that you simply added a couple inches to the size to make your case a little stronger in your favor. Now, I may have been wrong, and for that I apologize. Happy yet? I fail to see how your "significant other" and "best friend" have anything to do with this, although being a Sherriff, he could probably let you know when they will be hiring next, as that may be a career you are better suited for. So let ME tell you something, YOU FAILED, not me, I am already on this great job. You can either take the advice I posted in your other thread which was to train harder, or keep coming back on here uninformed and waste time.
    100% "pro" Calloway! Thankyou. I believe the young lady would be best suited in the Sheriff's Departmant. All of my life, since I was a little tot, I always wanted to be an "astronaut". It's all I could dream of. Dreams die when "reality" explodes on the scene and shatters that particular dream. Have another dream. Ed is a Sheriff and the light of your life, right? Be what Ed is if you aren't strong enough or big enough to be a FF. Let's pretend that you passed. I wouldn't want you to come to my rescue in a burning fire. I would want Calloway to. Sorry, Ma'am. The TRUTH is what it is. Not everyone who goes through Premed gets to Med School. Students in Med school have been known to "FAIL" in their third year. The "TRUTH" hurts when it opposes your childhood dream. A sheriff is the next best thing, don't you agree?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post

Well said man.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Talking I Concur!

Quote Originally Posted by adam18 View Post
    well said callaway
    I concur with Adam 18. You sound like you'd make a great Sheriff, though. They don't have to do nearly as much physical stuff as the FF's. They definitly need to keep on top of the running, though. Ask Ed. He'll tell you.

Forum Member

Talking What a guy!

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Well said man.
    Agreed, NDVFDFF33! He is well said, isn't he? That's one of the prerequisites of being a brave and seasoned FF!

Forum Member

Thumbs down Who's Laughing Now?

you go right ahead and laugh your ***** off, yeah that looks like the hose and later when Ed gets home from work I'll show him that picture and ask him to tell you if it looks like the one I had to drag!
    Be careful. You are nowhere near becoming a FF. Has it ever occurred to you that when you fail, everyone on this thread will have the last laugh? Just be careful. You are swimming with the guppies, not the big sharks.The kind of abrasive language you are using isn't scaring anybody into taking you seriously. You're only making everyone feel embarressed for you b/c they "ARE" FF's and can foresee that you may not have what it takes physically to do the job. Think like a real FF, not like a woman.

Forum Member

Angry Excuse Me, Ma'am, ALL Humans Have Lied At Least 1000X

If you are a genuine bourn again believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of GOD, then you DO lie. If you own a bible and actually read it, it will even tell you so. "ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD." We ALL lie for whatever reason. You just lied.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Darlin', Most men tend to exaggerate when it comes to size, unless your sheriff friend was referring to the circumferance of the hose, rather than diameter. Instead of getting your knickers in a knot, try being a little more humble and less argumentive in the future, because you will get eatin' alive here with your present know-it-all attitude. Good luck with your career, now go give that lucky big smokey bear some more well deserved sugar.

Forum Member

Thank god I'm an Athiest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does size matter?

Max I am posting this in all of your spin off threads hoping you read this and take a second to digest the information!!

The reason alot of these guys/gals are busting your chops is because you came on here and posted information thats wrong by Fire service definition!!! You may not have known you were doing this but after you were corrected you got a little snippy and started a SH*T storm!
    1ST) There is NO WAY you were asked to move a 6 inches hose line per the definition of a hose in the fire service. In the fire service a hose is described by its diameter not its circumference. That being said lets take a look at what the difference is between a hose with a 6 inch circumference and one with a 6 inch diameter.

CAUTION MATH CONTENT!!!!

For ease of calulations I am going to do just a 1 foot section of each hose!

A hose with a circumference of around 6 inches has a diameter of 1.9 inches.

Circumference of a circle = Pie x Diameter } 6 = 3.14 x d solving D = 1.9

In the fire service we use mainly as an attack line 1.75", 2" and 2.5" and although its not really an attack line occationally 3" (diameter I mean). This is not set in stone and some places may have some funky diameters but this is the norm.

Now for some more math since it came out to 1.9" I will round up to 2" hose. Which if you said the hose was around 6" and ment circumference this would make sense and you used a 2" fire hose in your test!!
    To get my point across even further I will give you the weight of just the water in the hose at different sizes.

So I wont confuse or hurt anyones faragile minds I will skip the next calulation step and give you the weight of water (just the water not the hose or couplings) in a one foot section different hoses!
    1 pound per foot of 1.75" hose
    1.4 pounds per foot of 2" hose
    2.1 pounds per foot of 2.5" hose
    3.1 pounds per foot of 3" hose
    Now supply hose!!!
    5.4 pounds per foot of 4" hose
    8.5 pounds per foot of 5" hose
    12.2 pounds per foot of 6" hose

Thats just the weight of the water not counting the hose or couplings. Pulling one of these hoses lets say 100 foot long charged section now the math gets interesting!!!

100 lbs of water in 100 feet of 1.75"
    140 lbs of water in 100 feet of 2"
    210 lbs of water in 100 feet of 2.5"
    310 lbs of water in 100 feet of 3"
    540 lbs of water in 100 feet of 4"
    850 lbs of water in 100 feet of 5"
    1220 lbs of water in 100 feet of 6"

So hopfully you now see the error in your ways and can say OH I ment circumference and the guys will lay off a bit on that aspect.

Second you are getting alot of flack on this forum because you are looking for simpathy for failing a P.A.T.. Not just simpathy! in essence you are accusing other firefighters of rigging the test so you fail!!! Not wise on a fire service forum. You are in charge of your domain no one made you fail you failed yourself, and the blam falls solely on you!!! STOP TRYING TO PASS THE BUCK!!! If you did not know already firefighters HATE!!!!! people who pass the buck on to others. Firefighters live as a team and unfortunitly we can die as a team and we do not need anyone in our service who is not going to take responsability for their own actions.

I dont mean this post to be rude or mean in anyway or to poke fun at you. I mean it simply as informative and as an explination for you as to what you did that made so many people angery!!

Sorry to all of you who have to see this over and over, I didnt split the threads!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Thread Information