Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Couple more days...

Couple more days for the results to the written to be posted...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some information on the city of va beach. How many runs do they get? Do they respond to all medicals or just when the ambulance is out of service? What doesthe recruit academy invovle? What is probation like? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michfire View Post
    I am taking my written exam in a couple weeks. I won't be able to make it down to the cpat practice due to commitments with my current dept, so i was wondering about the stair stepper. Is it motorized to keep the pace, or is it powered by the applicant? In the gym I find most of those machines (such as ellipticals) to be akward, and "unnatural." Have you guys found that to be the case in the test?
    Sorry to have never seen this.

Virginia Beach does not use the CPAT. They have there own physical exam that is administered. This is a link to the instructional video the Dept. produced that can help you:

http://www.vbgov.com/video.aspx?cate...10021a0e0a____

Honestly? Running stairs, good technique on the sled and pure endurance is what one should focus on for the Physical exam. There is a possibility that they have gone to the CPAT since I took the exam, but the video shows the exact physical I took.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob21 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some information on the city of va beach. How many runs do they get? Do they respond to all medicals or just when the ambulance is out of service? What doesthe recruit academy invovle? What is probation like? Thanks
    Calls vary by year. Types of calls vary by where you are in the city. Some see almost 90% EMS calls. No, fire does not respond on every EMS call, but we do respond on a vast majority of them, espically during the high call hours, and almost all ALS indicated calls.

Probation? Varies by your station, the Officer that you are assigned to, and again, the area of the city you are assigned to. Most importantly, your probation depends most upon YOU. Your attitude and willingness to do the community work in the station with little to no prompting, staying busy till 10pm and being up before everyone else getting the station ready for turnover...will ensure a smooth probation no matter who your OIC and senior members are. NOT doing those things, whinning, referring to your last dept, or just general laziness and disregard of what the "job" entails....will ensure a rough probation.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Thread Information