MembersZone Subscriber

Default Virginia Beach, Va

Anyone have information on how the dept is and their hiring practices and procedures.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerpyro318 View Post
    Anyone have information on how the dept is and their hiring practices and procedures.
    http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnext...00870b640aRCRD

Please utilize "google" or "yahoo". It looks so much better when you do your own research. Kind of shows people you want to do everything you can do to get it.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have done some research. I was looking for first hand information from people that have gone through the process and work for the city. I printed off the check sheet. Just seeing how things go since I am coming from out of state to take the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

DocVBFDE14

How does the ALS program work. There is very little information about it on your departments website. Does the fire department run the ambulance? It mentions there are rescues in the station but thats it. I also noticed they do have a seperate pay scale for certified FF/Paramedics. Do the paramedics work on the engines/trucks? on the ambo only? or rotate between all apparatus?

thanxs for any help

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mm2006 View Post
    DocVBFDE14

How does the ALS program work. There is very little information about it on your departments website. Does the fire department run the ambulance? It mentions there are rescues in the station but thats it. I also noticed they do have a seperate pay scale for certified FF/Paramedics. Do the paramedics work on the engines/trucks? on the ambo only? or rotate between all apparatus?

thanxs for any help
    After TRFA you will be a certified Va EMT-Enhanced. Above Basic, below EMT-I.

ALS for Va Beach is EMT-I and above. There is to be one ALS in each firehouse every shift. These medics are fire dept medics only. They can be required to act due to time and distance. The ALS can be on an engine or ladder, however it is prefered to be the engine.

Va Bch. EMS is a combo paid-volunteer system. There are career zone cars staffed by EMT-P's, with EMS-5 the shift EMS OIC. The ambulances are all volunteer at stations throughout the city.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

thank you for the information

Forum Member

Question Vb Fire

...so the Ambo's are volunteer and if hired you would be a FF/PM on the fire truck only??? or would you rotate between the trucks and the ambo's... Is VA. a NREMT-P state? Thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cb1776 View Post
    ...so the Ambo's are volunteer and if hired you would be a FF/PM on the fire truck only??? or would you rotate between the trucks and the ambo's... Is VA. a NREMT-P state? Thanks...

Yes. A Firefighter/Paramedic would only ride on Va Beach Fire Department apparatus.

You have to be a Va state EMT of any level. They will allow practice under a NREMT qualification for one year at the Office of EMS and the organizational OMD discretion however.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

If you are hired by VBFD you will be riding on an engine, truck, or squad company. All ambulances are staffed by volunteers at this time. As far as VA being a NREMT-P state, I'm not really sure. You could find that out on the VA Dept. of Health website.

I was hired by the city off the last test and am currently nearing the end of the academy. If you guys have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Forum Member

Question vb fire

If you dont mind I would like to ask a few more questions and I will forever hold my peace....

-If the Ambos are staffed by vollys, does the dept. have volly FF's as well?
    -Who staffs the Ambos when no volly's are avail., ex. during the day when people are working?
    - Is there OT avail. on the ambos if short staffed? or details?
    - Is the dept. "seeking" Paramedic/FF like the other depts in the area.
    - can a FF/Medic seek career paths on both ends of the dept. ex. Fire/Officer vs. EMS/Officer down the line?

Any info would be much help... Thanks for your time...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you dont mind I would like to ask a few more questions and I will forever hold my peace....

-If the Ambos are staffed by vollys, does the dept. have volly FF's as well?
    -Who staffs the Ambos when no volly's are avail., ex. during the day when people are working?
    - Is there OT avail. on the ambos if short staffed? or details?
    - Is the dept. "seeking" Paramedic/FF like the other depts in the area.
    - can a FF/Medic seek career paths on both ends of the dept. ex. Fire/Officer vs. EMS/Officer down the line?

Any info would be much help... Thanks for your time...
    1. There are but 5 or 6 volunteer firefighters of which I am one. There are 450 career personnel. There is a large contingent of volunteer Support Technicians. These are not firefighters. They only fill air bottles and salvage work.

2. Volunteers EMT's staff the ambulances 24/7 there is no crossing of fire personnel onto ambulances.

3. No. Virginia Beach EMS is an completely separate department in the Emergency Response System.

4. The more qualifications you have, naturally the more desirable to Human Resources. However, whether you are an EMT-P or not, you will still have to pass the Virginia State EMT exams during your TRFA to operate under Dr. Martin's license.

5. There is a distinct career path for each rank above firefighter. There is the Master Firefighter career path. When completed and ranked as such, you begin the Captain career path and so on. If you wish to become an EMS officer, or only conduct yourself as an EMT-P I highly suggest joining as such on the EMS career side. They operated paid/career zone medic cars. They have a career path to EMS-5 Brigade Chief. I am completely clueless on how that works however, as I am a firefighter.

Most importantly, there is NO crossing of EMS and Fire personnel. The only orders that EMS-5 can give to the fire department, is the request for the Fire Dept medic to "act" due to time and distance of EMS personnel.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 07-31-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Forum Member

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks....

Forum Member

Question Tidewater fire academy

Is the academy really "7 months" like it is stated in the job description on the WAVE?

Wow....that's like really............................long!

Later....

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the academy really "7 months" like it is stated in the job description on the WAVE?

Wow....that's like really............................long!

Later....
    You do not just train for the EMT-Basic level. EMS training is conducted to the VA State level of EMT-Enhanced. Therefore you need some cardiology, pharmacology, etc. It is a low level ALS training level. Hence requiring longer time in the academy.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Forum Member

Thumbs up VBFD academy

....along with Fire supression training, haz-mat ops, etc.,

well that explains it.....

Thanks again for your info. and positive input.

Later--

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

The VB application website is down! I can't register for the exam!

Forum Member

Just an FYI. I wouldn't focus much on EMS in your oral interview. I had my oral shortly after getting my "P" card and all i talked about was their EMS system and how much of an asset i would be, knowing that they had a volunteer system in place that had nothing to do with the FD. I assumed that a volunteer EMS system in a city that big couldn't work much longer and fire would be taking over soon, just as many other cities have. I didn't get the job. Remember what position you applied for...... Firefighter!! Oh, and the physical agility is very similar to the CPAT.....The poly can be a bit un-nerving when you show up to some house in a not so great neighboorhood... You just might think your in the wrong place. Also, recent experience tell me that the east coast is very big on volunteer experience, in anything. Great city to work for.I had my hopes up but somehow ended up on the west coast. Good luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default VB Cpat

I am taking my written exam in a couple weeks. I won't be able to make it down to the cpat practice due to commitments with my current dept, so i was wondering about the stair stepper. Is it motorized to keep the pace, or is it powered by the applicant? In the gym I find most of those machines (such as ellipticals) to be akward, and "unnatural." Have you guys found that to be the case in the test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Vbfd Exam/cpat

double post. darn 2 day delay...
    Last edited by michfire; 09-10-2007 at 04:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vb

Hello DocVBFDE14, Bclay75, and others from Virginia Beach,
    I just got back from the written exam, and just wanted to let you all know that you have a beautiful city and state! The people are nice, and you have some beautiful views/scenery. keeping my fingers crossed...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Couple more days...

Couple more days for the results to the written to be posted...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some information on the city of va beach. How many runs do they get? Do they respond to all medicals or just when the ambulance is out of service? What doesthe recruit academy invovle? What is probation like? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by michfire View Post
    I am taking my written exam in a couple weeks. I won't be able to make it down to the cpat practice due to commitments with my current dept, so i was wondering about the stair stepper. Is it motorized to keep the pace, or is it powered by the applicant? In the gym I find most of those machines (such as ellipticals) to be akward, and "unnatural." Have you guys found that to be the case in the test?
    Sorry to have never seen this.

Virginia Beach does not use the CPAT. They have there own physical exam that is administered. This is a link to the instructional video the Dept. produced that can help you:

http://www.vbgov.com/video.aspx?cate...10021a0e0a____

Honestly? Running stairs, good technique on the sled and pure endurance is what one should focus on for the Physical exam. There is a possibility that they have gone to the CPAT since I took the exam, but the video shows the exact physical I took.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob21 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some information on the city of va beach. How many runs do they get? Do they respond to all medicals or just when the ambulance is out of service? What doesthe recruit academy invovle? What is probation like? Thanks
    Calls vary by year. Types of calls vary by where you are in the city. Some see almost 90% EMS calls. No, fire does not respond on every EMS call, but we do respond on a vast majority of them, espically during the high call hours, and almost all ALS indicated calls.

Probation? Varies by your station, the Officer that you are assigned to, and again, the area of the city you are assigned to. Most importantly, your probation depends most upon YOU. Your attitude and willingness to do the community work in the station with little to no prompting, staying busy till 10pm and being up before everyone else getting the station ready for turnover...will ensure a smooth probation no matter who your OIC and senior members are. NOT doing those things, whinning, referring to your last dept, or just general laziness and disregard of what the "job" entails....will ensure a rough probation.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Thread Information