Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Injured by the seatbelt??

BEAUMONT, Texas-- Firefighter Herman Barber says having to buckle up has done him more harm than good.

He claims the "strain" of repeatedly putting on his seatbelt has caused him physical impairment, mental anguish and the loss of enjoyment of life.

Barber and his wife Sueleeka filed a personal injury lawsuit against the Daimler Chrysler Corp., Cerbus Capital Management and the city of Beaumont, alleging a seatbelt defect in the 1996 Dodge Ram that Barber was assigned to drive led to his injury.

Attorney Kip Lamb filed the suit on the Barbers behalf with the Jefferson County District Court on July 20.

According to the plaintiffs' original petition, during Barber's employment with the city as a firefighter, he was assigned to drive a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Magnum Pick-up Truck as part of his duties.

"As a result of Barber's frequent use of this vehicle and his use of the seat belt in the vehicle, he was injured by unknowingly and repeatedly straining to grip the seat belt and buckle each time he drove," the suit said. "The design and placement of the seatbelt was defective, which required the occupant to overreach, resulting in injury. Ultimately, this repeated act has caused damage to Barber's left shoulder."

The suit goes on to say Barber sustained debilitating injuries to his left shoulder and body and has been required to undergo significant medical treatment because of the truck's defect.

He and his wife are suing for past and future medical costs, pain and suffering, impairment, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life.

Republished with permission of The Southeast Texas Record.

What's next, an SOG on how to properly buckle up without hurting yourself.

No comment. Nope, none at all.

Just walking away shaking my head in wonder.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Here's a question for all you FFs... knowing how hard y'all work, if this guy is "straining" himself just buckling up, how's he doing his job Those hoses don't look feather light. And I'm sure with that amount of water + the pressure it causes takes a bit of handling to keep it under control at a fire. Not to mention wearing all the SCBA gear, and turnouts, which don't look like the lightest either.

And not to sound mean, but how big is that guy to where he has to strain to get the seatbelt around himself anyways?

Wow, just wow......

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    No comment. Nope, none at all.

Just walking away shaking my head in wonder.
    Yea, basically that....

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    BEAUMONT, Texas-- Firefighter Herman Barber says having to buckle up has done him more harm than good.

He claims the "strain" of repeatedly putting on his seatbelt has caused him physical impairment, mental anguish and the loss of enjoyment of life.

Barber and his wife Sueleeka filed a personal injury lawsuit against the Daimler Chrysler Corp., Cerbus Capital Management and the city of Beaumont, alleging a seatbelt defect in the 1996 Dodge Ram that Barber was assigned to drive led to his injury.

Attorney Kip Lamb filed the suit on the Barbers behalf with the Jefferson County District Court on July 20.

According to the plaintiffs' original petition, during Barber's employment with the city as a firefighter, he was assigned to drive a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Magnum Pick-up Truck as part of his duties.

"As a result of Barber's frequent use of this vehicle and his use of the seat belt in the vehicle, he was injured by unknowingly and repeatedly straining to grip the seat belt and buckle each time he drove," the suit said. "The design and placement of the seatbelt was defective, which required the occupant to overreach, resulting in injury. Ultimately, this repeated act has caused damage to Barber's left shoulder."

The suit goes on to say Barber sustained debilitating injuries to his left shoulder and body and has been required to undergo significant medical treatment because of the truck's defect.

He and his wife are suing for past and future medical costs, pain and suffering, impairment, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life.

Republished with permission of The Southeast Texas Record.

What's next, an SOG on how to properly buckle up without hurting yourself.
    Ummm. is he driving the British version? The reason I ask is that if his claim is true, the right shoulder would be affected from reaching for the seatbelt mounted on the B pillar... on the left hand side of the vehicle.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Ummm. is he driving the British version? The reason I ask is that if his claim is true, the right shoulder would be affected from reaching for the seatbelt mounted on the B pillar... on the left hand side of the vehicle.
    Good point. These lawsuits **** me off, I wonder if he would sue me because of his sore *** if we met. I would be sure to stick my boot in it. What a dork.

Freaking scum-sucking, bottom-dwelling, self-righteous, moronic buffoon.

Sad thing is that some equally pathetic and useless ambulance chasing dirt-bag lawyer actually took this case.

Even more sad is that the insurance companies will actually settle this thing out of court instead of making this moron pay the expenses out of his own pocket for his scumbag attorney.

Insurance companies ought to pay for a decent private investigator to catch this scumbag doing ANY activities involving his shoulder.

What a maroon.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Does that mean that the Army guys can sue for repetitive motion injury from saluting too much?

Banned

The solution is simple, make things optional. When you mandate something you then accept the responsibility of what happens when things go wrong.

I vote we make your existence on Earth optional.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    The solution is simple, make things optional. When you mandate something you then accept the responsibility of what happens when things go wrong.
    Like what? Seatbelt use? This guy's an idiot and looking for a fast buck, what exactly is your point?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Higby916 View Post
    Like what? Seatbelt use? This guy's an idiot and looking for a fast buck, what exactly is your point?
    The point is, if you require me to do something or wear a piece of clothing and I get hurt because of it, then you need to take responsibility for making me do or wear the stuff. For instance, you require me to wear tennis shoes on the job and I hurt my foot because I’m wearing tennis shoes, you are now responsible.

The point is, if you require me to do something or wear a piece of clothing and I get hurt because of it, then you need to take responsibility for making me do or wear the stuff. For instance, you require me to wear tennis shoes on the job and I hurt my foot because I’m wearing tennis shoes, you are now responsible.

This forum requires that one should engage their brain before posting. If you are made to look like an idiot, is Firehouse.com responsible for allowing you to post drivel?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

This forum requires that one should engage their brain before posting. If you are made to look like an idiot, is Firehouse.com responsible for allowing you to post drivel?
    lmao,well said,great post.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I don't know how this guy can stand the "strain" of getting up in the morning. What a *****.

He *might* have a point if his repetitive strain injury were caused by something specific to his work environment for example if it was a custom cab where the seatbelts are in goofy positions. In this case its just a Dodge Ram and the seat belt design is mandated by Federal motor vehicle safety standards.

And HT: your example has nothing to do with this case. This is not a case of an employee getting injured as a result of work conditions/requirements. He was assigned to drive a pickup truck. While department SOG *may* require him to wear a seatbelt so does State and Federal law. This law covers him while in any vehicle, whether working or POV. From a workman's comp perspective there is no way to prove that this injury resulted from his work vehicle and not POV.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

What a check chaser!! I had a 96 ram, probably exactly like this one, probably one of how many hundreds of thousands they made. Is my shoulder damaged? This ranks with the judge who sued over his lost pants. Scumbags like this are what are ruining this country with their abusive lawsuits.

Forum Member

How very predictable you are Trots. While reading this article last night, I was laughing to myself with you in mind and wondering what silly position you would take here. Thanks for the laugh!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Huh??...............

Sudden Thought # 286,980,675,453.05:

Trott's idea might have merit. If NOT wearing the seat belt was optional, and the guy declined to use it, and he was ejected during a crash, the liability would lie with him. The FD, Chief, Dodge, and everyone else would be off the hook...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Sudden Thought # 286,980,675,453.05:

Trott's idea might have merit. If NOT wearing the seat belt was optional, and the guy declined to use it, and he was ejected during a crash, the liability would lie with him. The FD, Chief, Dodge, and everyone else would be off the hook...........
    Perhaps....but in that case, this moron would sue because the department should have been forcing him to wear the seat belt.

His Attorney: "Obviously my client can't take care of himself and the department is responsible to make sure he doesn't hurt himself because he is an idiot.":P

That's it trotter, I'm suing God. He made breathing mandatory and you are stealing my oxygen....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information