MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maximum preference points?

Hey guys a full timer told me that the maximum number of points that can be awarded to anyone for hiring purposes is ten. I jsut dropped from number one to number four on a hiring list, and the guys above me all got more than 10 points. Is this allowable or what? I did some googling but could not find anything useful. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually I just found this and it confused me even more. Does this mean the municipality has to give me points for being a certified fire fighter, or is it up to their discression?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...AID=9&Session=
    Last edited by bfdpipeman; 07-26-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Default hmmm

i believe it does give you points for entire year that you have ahd the certification as long as it doe not put you on the list higher than the veterans.

Forum Member

Illinois Preference Points Laws
    I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the Illinois state laws. As far as preference points for exsperiance goes. A department has denied my request for preference points for the following reason. My academy was not an in house academy. It was a weekend academy over a six month period. I have never had this issue before. I have my OSFM FF Illinois state certification. Does anyone have any more information?

Forum Member

I have another question as far as age goes. I will turn 35 at the end of August.How long can I test for? Will my applications be denied after that? What about the lists that I am on now. Will I be considered inelgible? I have been part-time since 2009.

Forum Member

how does it read 35 at time of hire??? or test or other

Forum Member

one old answer::

In the Chicago area, most communities follow the state statute, which says the age limit is under 35 unless you are already a member of a "regularly constituted fire department".

But home rule communities don't have to follow the state statute. So some of them ignore the "unless" part, and others don't have a maximum age at all. It's a crap shoot, really.

For a real life example, I am 35 (36 in April). I am currently in the final phase of the hiring process for a suburban Chicago department (yay me!). This suburb follows the state law to the letter... and the rules when I applied said under 35 by hire, except where exempt by state statute. Since I am part time at another department, that gets me under the age limit. Yay me again.

So to dodge the age limit (at least in Illinois), join a part time or paid on call department, and apply to communites that follow the state statute to the letter.

Anne

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t56879/ (Maximum age/limit?)

looks like it depends?

also::

http://www.romeoville.org/Fire/fireA...irefighter.pdf

Forum Member

The question was a general one fire49. I am on multiple lists. I couldn't tell you what all of them read because I can't remember. If you're saying that's what it comes down to, is how it read. Thats what I am assuming at this point. I just thought maybe someone knew of a specific law on here. I have been on a part-time department since 2009. So this does help?!? I had always thought it was for full-time only?Congrats on the FT gig btw! Thank you for the help.
    Last edited by fasteddie11628; 06-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member

I have been on a part-time department since 2009. So this does help?!? I had always thought it was for full-time only?

Forum Member

Congrats btw on the FT gig!

Thread Information