Thread: Tools

Forum Member

Default Tools

Does any one know where i can see and get the names for all firefighting and rescue tools i do not know all the names for all the tools so when I'm riding and a firefighter asks me for a tool ill know what it is. i know what the tools do but i do not know the names for all of them.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by afrexplorer1; 07-26-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Forum Member

Best way, is to go over the truck with a firefighter, and ask him or her what everything is. Other than that, I'm sure there is something online, or you could get an essentials book or something else.

Forum Member

Get someone to go over the truck with you. That's how we learned to recognize everything. You can also do a google search and they have sheets you can print out with all the tools on them including pictures. Good luck.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Or go to a store online and look at the tools like www.allhandsfire.com or fire hooks unlimited (google that) and just look at the pictures and the names.

Added: Suggest to the explorer captain or chief that you have a drill on tools, there names, uses and location on the apparatus. Go from compartment to compartment taking one thing off at a time, including the big things, so everyone can see them.
    Last edited by jacklrd; 07-26-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    Or go to a store online and look at the tools like www.allhandsfire.com or fire hooks unlimited (google that) and just look at the pictures and the names.

Added: Suggest to the explorer captain or chief that you have a drill on tools, there names, uses and location on the apparatus. Go from compartment to compartment taking one thing off at a time, including the big things, so everyone can see them.
    I am the chief but we are not curently having meetings but that is one of the things i plan on doing as soon as we start back up wich is hopfuly soon i have ben working on that.
    but im riding on the rescue truck wednesday so ill ask if our adviser who i am riding with will show me.

Forum Member

Best way would be to ask someone who knows them, a firefighter, or the actual chief, or a captain. That way, you're sure you get exactly what they do. Try and do this before you ride, that way if you get to a call and are asked to grab a tool for someone, you know where and what it is. It'll make you look a little better in their eyes.

Talking to a person is better than looking online. The person can explain stuff way better than the computer can. They can also demonstrate for you if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post
    I am the chief but we are not curently having meetings but that is one of the things i plan on doing as soon as we start back up wich is hopfuly soon i have ben working on that.
    but im riding on the rescue truck wednesday so ill ask if our adviser who i am riding with will show me.
    Can I ask why your not having meetings? Are you doing anything as a post?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    Can I ask why your not having meetings? Are you doing anything as a post?
    We have no firefighter to teach the classes and i am working on that i think that i have found maybe to or three firefighters one a Lt that is going to help.
    and as the post thing no we are not and the only reason I'm riding is because i have had all the training from the last grope of explorers that quit on us they said they had more important things... to me there is nothing more important. lol. i have so far made flyer's and have eight or nine people wanting to come and i have about ten or so meetings set up and now we are just waiting to see if those firefighters will help out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post

You are the chief.... that doesn't know the names of tools..... but you are the chief?

did I miss somthing here?

Forum Member

maybe... he was virtually the only explorer in his post.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe he is the Chief, Asst. Chief, Captain, and Lt. Sounds like he is the only one in the post. In any case in order to have a Explorer post there has to be a firefighter or officer who is in charge of the post. Why are u having a hard time getting people to work with you if no one else will do it he should do you training or else you department shouldn’t have an explorer post. Sorry about you problems hope everything works out for you. As for names of tools I agree with pretty much everyone else ask a firefighter or the captain who is on the truck to go over it with you. I would recommend early in the day when they are doing truck checks.

Forum Member

Do truck inspections of all the trucks at your station with a FF. that's how I learned all the tools. We do truck inspections a few times a month with the help of a FF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    Do truck inspections of all the trucks at your station with a FF. that's how I learned all the tools. We do truck inspections a few times a month with the help of a FF
    yeah i just really have a hard time remembering names lol.

Forum Member

Even if you can't remember names, you'll eventually learn what's need. So you may not remember that specific tools name, but you'll know that it's need for this specific call, and you'll grab it.

Forum Member

I'm riding
    and yet you don't know what the tools on the truck are?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Seems like every time I learn where all the tools are somebody decides they need to be moved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    and yet you don't know what the tools on the truck are?

I know what they are and what they do. I just forgot the names of some tools.

OH OH PICK ME!! I have an idea-lets play name that tool...

#1...

and #3

All pictures from allhandsfire.com

Forum Member

Well let's see....

1. Rabbit tool. Used for opening stuff up.

2. Some kinda rake or hook. Never seen this one before.

3. Duck bill axe. Great for breaking locks.

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Well let's see....

1. Rabbit tool. Used for opening stuff up.

2. Some kinda rake or hook. Never seen this one before.

3. Duck bill axe. Great for breaking locks.
    Cool you win nothing -number 2 is still open

and in the meantime...
    # 4

(edarley.com)

#6 (I hope everyone knows this one)

5&6 from allhandsfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Best way would be to ask someone who knows them, a firefighter, or the actual chief, or a captain. That way, you're sure you get exactly what they do. Try and do this before you ride, that way if you get to a call and are asked to grab a tool for someone, you know where and what it is. It'll make you look a little better in their eyes.

Talking to a person is better than looking online. The person can explain stuff way better than the computer can. They can also demonstrate for you if need be.

I agree. Ask a firefighter or officer to go over the tools with you and make sure you know the name of each. Besides, the same tool may go by different names depending on the department or region. So what a tool is called online is not necessarily what it's called in your department. For example, what we call a pike pole in my department is referred to as a hook in other departments. Learn the local terminology that is used in your station.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I agree. Ask a firefighter or officer to go over the tools with you and make sure you know the name of each. Besides, the same tool may go by different names depending on the department or region. So what a tool is called online is not necessarily what it's called in your department. For example, what we call a pike pole in my department is referred to as a hook in other departments. Learn the local terminology that is used in your station.
    in case of mutual aid for example from another fire department,if each department has its own way to call tools,it could be very hard for firefighters on fireground,no?i was just wondering.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

in case of mutual aid for example from another fire department,if each department has its own way to call tools,it could be very hard for firefighters on fireground,no?i was just wondering.
    In most mutual aid cases, at least the ones I've been to, the companies use their own tools from their trucks. They rarely go to another truck for tools. But if they do, the driver of that apparatus can usually show the ff where the tool is located.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I've always thought this site was pretty neat....

http://www.city.davis.ca.us/fire/tour/

Interactive tour of a fire engine from Davis, CA. Mouse over the objects in the various compartments and they will highlight and a name and description will pop up. Really designed for non-firefighter types, but some of it may be of interest to you.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Good find. Wish I had found that around this time last year. Nice that you can highlight the tool, have a better picture show up and the name next to it. Great find! Thanks. Though some of the names are different. (had to find something negative)
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Thread Information