Forum Member

Default A different brotherhood issue

There's a few members on my department that seem to think simply because we're all in the fire service we're all brothers. I would have to disagree, just because you joined up went to some training and run a call or two doesn't make you my brother. Thats all just talking the talk to me, and I havnt seen some of the guys on my department take one step towards walking the walk.

Putting on the helmet and riding the truck just doesn't cut it for me.

Open to discussion, please don't take offense its just how I feel.

Forum Member

Default Truckie??

Just because the saying is "Your Brother's" and now "Sister's" don't be so literal with the expression. They have your back as you have theirs. That doesn't mean their invited to your family dinner's, so get off your high horse and try fitting in. When the Fire Department hires newbies they try to make sure you fit in and in this case they should have looked a little deeper. Granted that you can get along with everyone but hang in there. If all else fails .....if you can move to another Station or Fire Department.
    No offense taken...it's how I feel.
    Last edited by JayDudley; 07-27-2007 at 01:01 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Look it is simple...

Brotherhood has little to do with social skills or even liking someone it has to do with knowing when the crap hits the fan that person is there for you, both on and off the job. That means far more to me than the fact that someone will come eat my BBQ and drink my beer but I can't count on them when I need them.

If work relationships evolve into off the job friendships, and it does happen, great. But it is not a must have to feel Brotherhood.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BornTruckie View Post
    There's a few members on my department that seem to think simply because we're all in the fire service we're all brothers. I would have to disagree, just because you joined up went to some training and run a call or two doesn't make you my brother. Thats all just talking the talk to me, and I havnt seen some of the guys on my department take one step towards walking the walk.

Putting on the helmet and riding the truck just doesn't cut it for me.

Open to discussion, please don't take offense its just how I feel.

Hummmm, very interesting. Curiously, what measure do you use? I consider new members brothers until they demonstrate otherwise. In fact I feel I have an obligation to help them improve. A brother in my opinion will help with the education process. A brother will look out for a newer member. How will your new members come to understand what Brotherhood is if you aren’t willing to demonstrate those qualities yourself?
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

brotherhood in the small fire department where my relatives are volunteer means that you can rely on your bro or sister on fireground when you need it.then if they become friends of yours,it is great,you will share more stuff like BBQS,soccer games(i know french stuff soccer,lol).......

but for the new recruits,the "eldests"(i mean experienced firefighters,not grandpas,lol) at the station "show the way" to follow,like you know with pranks and trainings to learn.

but i can understand that it is hard to "find a niche "among other firefighters at the station,specially when you are new in fire service.
    Last edited by frenchfireball; 07-27-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Look it is simple...

Brotherhood has little to do with social skills or even liking someone it has to do with knowing when the crap hits the fan that person is there for you, both on and off the job.
    BING! Steel on target. It really is simple... sounds to me more like the OP is a little too "crusty" for his own good. I agree with the guy who said that they're Brothers until they prove otherwise...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Look it is simple...

Brotherhood has little to do with social skills or even liking someone it has to do with knowing when the crap hits the fan that person is there for you, both on and off the job. That means far more to me than the fact that someone will come eat my BBQ and drink my beer but I can't count on them when I need them.

If work relationships evolve into off the job friendships, and it does happen, great. But it is not a must have to feel Brotherhood.

FyredUp
    No thats exactly what I'm saying, I have no problem with this guy we're friends we hang out... However I wouldn't and do not trust him on a fire scene.

Forum Member

"They're brothers until .... otherwise"

I suppose that would make sense seeing as we share the same goal in helping people and bettering ourselves but I see brotherhood as much more than that.

My idea of "Brotherhood," is that it is a stronger bond formed through stressful and intense situations where you can learn to trust one another and rely on someone when another situation arises.

Just because we have the same interest doesn't make it a brotherhood to me.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

No thats exactly what I'm saying, I have no problem with this guy we're friends we hang out... However I wouldn't and do not trust him on a fire scene.
    Then make it your mission to make him someone you can trust.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Then make it your mission to make him someone you can trust.

FyredUp
    Easier said than done, he has already proven to me he lacks a willingness to learn and hes hardly willing to try.

He really is a great guy, one of the best people i know! However, honestly he is one person at this point I don't think will ever make it in the service.

Forum Member

He really is a great guy, one of the best people i know! However, honestly he is one person at this point I don't think will ever make it in the service.
    Here's a silly question- What qualifies you to predict his fire service future?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Here's a silly question- What qualifies you to predict his fire service future?
    Nothing qualifies me, what qualifies you to question me? I'm allowed an opinion.

Note the "I dont think" portion of my post, which would imply that is MY personal feelings and OPINION.

And if your next question is going to be WHY I dont think he will succeed is because he has no motivation to better himself physically or mentally for the fire ground.

Let me put it this way... He's about 6'6" 260lbs, unable of raising a 35ft extension ladder, and has also been known to give out on simple task and no longer attempt to complete them. Example, stretching the hose bed cover back on the truck wears him out and he will quit.

Someone that out of shape should be working out, eating healthier and in his case smoking less; however he makes no attempt at bettering himself and I have offered to assist him in an exercise routine yet somehow he always becomes to 'busy' to do anything.

Forum Member

Default Right is right

Truckie...When you make a posting you should expect people to answer. You might not like their answers ...but they have the same right as you to interject their opinion. So lighten up and take all of the following postings to mind and try to fix the problem you have.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Truckie...When you make a posting you should expect people to answer. You might not like their answers ...but they have the same right as you to interject their opinion. So lighten up and take all of the following postings to mind and try to fix the problem you have.
    Well technically that wasnt an opinion it was a ignorant question. I've been calmly discussing with everyone else thus far I thought. The only one I caught an attitude about was FWDbuff. Sorry if it came off as rude/snappy in my other post it wasnt intended to be.

Forum Member

I think the terms "Brothers and Sisters" is used to refer to all of us in the fire trade. This my interpritation also. We obviously don't know our Brothers or Sisters who live and work far from us and we would have some reservations of trust with them. You may not trust this guy and not consider him a brother but he is in the brotherhood. How you interperate the term is entirely up to you and you don't have to see him as a brother if you choose not to.

I have a question though. You stated there where several people in your company but you only refer to one. How about the others? How about trying to help them?

Forum Member

Good point, and I understand what you're saying. I suppose it really is a matter of interpretation.

The other guys are a different story, most of them are capable but not willing. There are some that rarely show for training/calls and dont make an attempt to do so.
    Others show up but act like they're hot **** and just dont need the training, pretty aggravating.

Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=FyredUp;842314]Look it is simple...

Brotherhood has little to do with social skills or even liking someone it has to do with knowing when the crap hits the fan that person is there for you, both on and off the job.

Yeah, but it can be hard to feel "brotherly" if you have an individual or two on your department that you really can't count on when it goes to crap or is consistently disrespectful of others. That being said, the brotherhood of the fire service for me simply means that we are one group of people that share a common goal/bond. I do tend to gravitate more toward the people that I know I can count on and the ones that I know will watch my back, but even the putz's are part of that brotherhood too. I love the ones that I can count one and I'm not thrilled about the ones I can't count on, but we're still a family--it an odd, dysfunctional way sometimes

Thread Information