Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overtraining?

Forum Member

Default Overtraining?

Hi everyone,

I have a PAT coming up in about 2 weeks, and have a question about overtraining.

My workout consists of alternating between high rep/low weight (endurance) and high weight/low rep, with (recently -- the past 2-3 weeks) heavy cardio. I've been amping this up the last 2 weeks. Current day job is physically demanding, with a lot of cardio and heavy lifting.

I've begun feeling overly fatigued, lots of lower back soreness, pain in that area between neck and shoulder.....and I feel I'm not performing as well in my workouts.

SOOOOO.. my question.. with my PAT looming, any advice?

Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by BarMan; 07-27-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Yes. Take it easy. Train at the degree you will be able to maintain, and not necessarily for a specific event, or you will most definitely risk overtraining. You are going to want to taper your workouts before the test anyway at least a week before, so you may as well start now. The last thing you want is to be too tired or weak to perform the test after all of your hard work. You will not lose strength conditioning from tapering down, but you will allow your muscles to rest so they can perform to their ultimum abilities (you are strongest 4 days after your last workout).

Taper down and then get back to a reasonable workout after the test (I would take a complete week or two off afterwards to allow your body to heal as well).

Good luck!

Forum Member

Thank you, Higbee.

I just acquired a weight vest (of sorts) and have been started using that in my cardio workouts. A little late in the game to add it, but better late than never!

Much of my concern lies in the fact that I "train" (informally) during my day job, in addition to my structured workouts. But I will certainly begin to taper off an

Thank you for your advice!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Train Smart

You have to look at your life style, if you have a very demanding job AND your trying to train then you have to balance demand with recovery. Your workouts may need to be spaced out more. An example would be a high intensity day, active rest day, range of motion day, endurance day, easy cardio, range of motion day, interval day

Keep in mind that rest is as important as demand for results. Also, if you are doing the workouts without rest you can get your heartrate up in the cardio range as well. Overall body/functional training gives you great results in less time if done right. I haveposted a workout here in the past if you do a search for it.

I would be interested in your workouts: weights? or functional?

This close to PAT I wouldn't change much except the tapering but afterwards you might look at changing things to prevent overtraining, definitely sounds like your in that phase now. Becareful and good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure you don't train for 1 or 2 days prior to the test. Let your body rest. You only grow and repair muscle when resting so get plenty of sleep also. Don't hurt yourself bytraining too hard, you probably won't make any giant improvements in the next two week anyway so level off on the intensity and maintain.
    Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Advice... once again, OGomez

Train smart. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    This guy's smart- listen when he whispers!

Dr. Jen

Thread Information