Forum Member

Default How long did you wait for your first?

Hello all. I have recently been hired to my first fire job with a growing fire department. I was assigned to a sparsely populated area of the county, so we don't really get a whole lot of runs. I understand that that's actually a good thing, no one getting hurt and all of that, but I am new and I'm kinda itchin' for my first fire. My partner tells me to be calm and it will come (probably when I do not want it). And honestly I'm not really losing sleep over it, anymore. I've been on 3 months now. I was wondering how long it took some of you more experienced guys to get your first. I've heard of a guy in a nearby city that waited an entire year. I know it will come, just thought it would be interesting to hear from you guys.
    Thanks,
    Beamclamp

P.S. Also, if you feel like it, it would be great to hear some details about your first time (getting a fire). Sicko.
    Last edited by beamclamp; 07-27-2007 at 08:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

patience bro it will come. we have guys in my dept that have been here 5 years and haven't been on an interior attack. I had 13 fires my first 9 months since then I have had one fire since december. We also have a guy here that's been here just over a year by about 2 months I think and hasn't seen a fire yet. sooner or later it will come. just keep up on drilling and studying. do the probie thing and have fun your in the best damn job on the planet.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

First Fire: First Job, over a year.... second Job: about a week...
    Ya just never know!!!!!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

My first structural fire with interior attack was around my one year.
    Vehicle, Grass, Woods, Transformer fires... those come a lot more frequently around here.

Forum Member

My first worker came two months on the job. I was the only probie out of the four hired that that saw any fire. I was fortunate to say the least. I was like the "black cloud." I had six structure fires in ten months. Slow for some places. Decent for this department

Your time will come. Everything happens for a reason. Check your gear every morning like you will be going to a fire that day. Check all of your water supply equipment, ladders, hydrant bag, SCBA. If something isn't working it will be your fault as you are the probie.

Be patient and be ready to work. Don't be last on the engine and make sure you are dressed up before everyone else. WORK HARD!!!

Forum Member

As everyone said it just takes time. I caught a worker on my very first call. It was a warehouse fire, so the interior work was short lived. My father however waited over a year before he got his first worker. Hell it took em six months to make a truck!

Just wait it out. It will come in time.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

A guy I came on with waited about a year to catch a fire where his rig was first due. The funniest part is that the only 2 days he took off in his first year, his rig caught fires.

My first took 1 month, high rise with 2 apartments going. Never forget it because it was my first, but also because I just fell asleep around midnight and was dog tired. The second I saw the fire blowing out the windows, I had so much energy, I could have ran a marathon.

Like mentioned above, just because it may take a while, always be ready. Treat every single shift as though you will be going to a job. Make sure your equipment is checked, and is working. Patience, they will come.

My first fire was about a month. Did the probie thing of standing back and helping outside. Then after some more like that and studying and training for 6 months from hire date I got my first entry attack. What a relief.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. So far this has been really good. I hope to here more. I apperciate the advice and stories very much.

Default calm down

relax it will come it took me what felt like forever but itll happen just remember when you get in there keep your head on straigh think

MembersZone Subscriber

I graduated the academy Jan. 29 and am still waiting for my first job. I've brush and vehicle's but no interior work. I know it will come at some point.

Forum Member

Firstly we don't do interior fires we just let them burn and try to stop the spread as we are a bushy brigade (wild land) and don't have the correct PPE or training. Even though we have over 7000 houses in our area, Also if its a structural fire then the payed FRS in the next area usually come and we back them up. Their has been talk about changing our brigade to duel FRS & BFB as our area has had over 5000 new homes built in the last 3 years...

I've been in our brigade for 1 yr now and this last year our brigade attended 61 fire calls ranging from small bin fires to a call for help in the Dwellingup fires that burnt for 3 weeks and lost 15 houses. I attended 12 of those fires last year and 2 this year (July to July). My first fire call came at 10.30pm 3 weeks after my training was done and I was given a pager, it was a road verge grass fire that had gone in to a paddock and had burnt about 3-5 acres

Ya never know when one will come
    Me and the Capt. were maintaining some hydrants in the suburb next to ours and we used the light tanker, any how before we left I said to the Capt. maybe we should take our PPE gear with us just incase, (Its the middle of winter and we have only had one fire in 6 mths) he found this a little funny. Well sure enough while we were out with the tanker for less than an hour we were paged to attend a car fire on the HWY... Go figure that one...

Forum Member

My brother was just hired in Myrtle Beach and finished the academy in May. The one structure fire that his engine went to was the same day he was ordered over to a different station. His probie buddies called him after to bust his balls a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was really lucky. Me and my buddy got out of essentials and got our first worked, a fully involved 2 story house fire 2 days later. We ran into one of our instructors on the call (he's the chief of a mutual aid dept) and he was busting us pretty hard since we didn't have to wait very long for our first. You can never tell.

Forum Member

Got my first wendesday. I had to wait 8 months.

Default Patience Grasshopper

I Was Only On The Line For 2 Days When My Cherry Was Popped! One Of My Buddies That Was Assigned To A Different Shift Waited Almost 2 Years Before His First Worker. Like Many Before Me Have Stated Be Ready. In This Line Of Work You Never Know What The Day Might Bring. One Minute You Are Kicked Back At The Station Playing Jokes On Each Other And The Next Minute Your Inside A Burning Building Having To Trust Those Same Guys With Your Life. Man I Love My Job! Just Remember The Basics. Stay Safe And Have Fun!

Forum Member

Default patience as they all said

You want war stories here it goes, almost two year no fire, couple small noting too seriouse one calm morning, Structure fire, yeah, put wet stuff on hot stuff, get back to station, less than a minute another, put it out, get back to station, put last hose back on truck, another, put it out, in route back to station another. HELL HAD COME TO EARTH that day ... over 28 hours of fighting fire with no sleep, the next day our neiboring department ... Example of brother hood here, took are calls for the day so the department could rest.

moral of story ... wait

Forum Member

I'm still waiting. I did get a small stove fire not long ago...but I don't really count it as my first. The officer had it out with a water can before I had a chance to pull a line. Just figured I'd update. Thanks for all the stories.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had my first interior attack on the nozzle last week Wednesday. It took about 3 months.

At my other fire dept they get them a bit more often but are completely full time with POC that comes in when busy. There was a 3-alarm fire that I was paged out for after about 3 months at that dept.

Forum Member

I have been on for over a year and had not had a fire yet. we had a M.A. at the beginning of this month. but that fire was out before we got there and the IC used up for overhaul. at least we got to do something

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept. hired around 60 guys in the last year and a half, I was in the first class of 21. Once we came on shift my shift went without a fire until the first day the second class was on shift. So I waited two months, the second class waited two hours. Since then we are sporadic, sometimes we get a few a month, other times 1. I do definately have that problem with being off for fires. One of my first kelly days last year my crew popped a fire. Also I was on a trade with someone and they got a church fire ( The church from the my fair Brady wedding). That has happened probably twich more two where whoever was working for me that day got a structure fire. The only positive is I have no problems finding a trade

Forum Member

I graduated the academy in may, got to my company in june, and ive had 4 jobs so far. Love every minute of it. and for those that are waiting, it will happen. They will come as they may, but they will come!

Forum Member

caught one my 2nd day on, was on the 2nd in engine so didnt do much other than grabbing the hydrant and checking for extension..since then ive been detailed to rescue since i graduated with a rare disease in my academy an emt-cardiac license..so i wont be seeing anymore for 9 months when i get off rescue

Permanently Removed

took about 10 min. busy! no v in front of my fd

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by FFmedicGUMP View Post
    took about 10 min. busy! no v in front of my fd

I actually waited till i was married... Oh wait.. this isnt the Anal bead website?

Thread Information