Forum Member

Default jr's more reliable than sr's in alot of cases

lets face it. when u reach a certain age (aka adulthood) u have a job, a relationship possibly, and the straw thast breaks the camels back- drinking. its bad enough that in a company of a relative range of 30 ff's, only one sr and a jr come for an auto alarm. all the sr's (the younger ones) seem to want is the glory of the structure fire. they all have pagers, the jr's dont yet, but i have personally gone out of my way ...

Forum Member

Huh???????????

What have you done to go out of your way?
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 07-28-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I brought the beer, who brought the popcorn? This should get fun real quick.

*cracks a cold one open*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    I brought the beer, who brought the popcorn? This should get fun real quick.

*cracks a cold one open*

I'm with you. *grabs the lawn chair and pops open a brew*
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Truckie

Wow, 15 posts to this point and you are well on your way to a Darwin Award...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I'm with you. *grabs the lawn chair and pops open a brew*
    I got the popcorn, extra butter.

T.J.

Forum Member

What she is describing is not out of the ordinary or inappropriate. It is reality. Two parts. One is that in most volunteer companies, there will always be those who you never see until there is something big. They skirt by making minimum requirements and then you never see them until the dispatcher says the words structure fire or extrication. Then they generally remain useless and brag a lot. Happens everywhere, we've all seen it. Now this time of year it can be tough. it is the middle of summer so people go away on vacation. If a lot of the regular dependable people are away on vacation, that is going to leave you short handed on something that isn't a structure fire or extrication.

The second part she describes, at least I am interpreting as effecting the retention of juniors/explorers. Typically when a kid joins, this is the coolest thing going. As they get a little older, other things also become cool. Things like cars, girls, and parties. They gets jobs to support having a car, girls, and going to parties. All normal teenage stuff. Some of them can do all that and maintain their dedication to the fire department. Some can not. I've watched both play out over and over. The best ones are the ones that can maintain their fire department dedication, have a girlfriend, hold a job, and go to a party now and then without having one interfere with the other. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Cool

its very true, even at those bad fires those guys dont do ****. Because the chief wants the responsible dedicated guys goin in and manning the nozzle. They think Oh well im not doin somethin fun and sit around instead of helpin with the hard jobs.

Forum Member

Wow, just like a bad TV series, the "Juniors are Firefighters Too" thread has its own crappy spin-off. Yay.

Forget the popcorn, I'm gonna go drown myself in a half-gallon of Mint Chocolate Chip.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Wow, just like a bad TV series, the "Juniors are Firefighters Too" thread has its own crappy spin-off. Yay.

Forget the popcorn, I'm gonna go drown myself in a half-gallon of Mint Chocolate Chip.
    MMMMM.....Chocolate *drools*

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nstewart33 View Post
    lets face it. when u reach a certain age (aka adulthood) u have a job, a relationship possibly, and the straw thast breaks the camels back- drinking. its bad enough that in a company of a relative range of 30 ff's, only one sr and a jr come for an auto alarm. all the sr's (the younger ones) seem to want is the glory of the structure fire. they all have pagers, the jr's dont yet, but i have personally gone out of my way ...
    Yep, then they get there and can't carry out interior operations or any other operation that puts them in danger. That makes them real effective.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

These threads remind me of sitcoms. (not sure why (mainly because I don't watch sitcoms)) Is root beer allowed? mainly because minors can't drink.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Oh Goody another Jr that thinks they have a right to complain about senior firefighters. Terrific.

When will the madness stop?

FyredUp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Oh Goody another Jr that thinks they have a right to complain about senior firefighters. Terrific.

When will the madness stop?

FyredUp
    *lights the Molotov Cocktail*

Weeeeelllllllll...if they didn't have Junior FF or Explorer programs.......
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Thumbs up I'm ready now

Checklist

Beer-yup

Comfy seat-yup

Heater on-its winter over here-yup

Spell check and Grammar unravelling booklet-its one of the non school goers thread-yup

Proceed --but no s******ing in the cheap seats
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post

Spell check and Grammar unravelling booklet-its one of the non school goers thread-yup
    Good choice. A dictionary and a good education can do wonders too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    *lights the Molotov Cocktail*

Weeeeelllllllll...if they didn't have Junior FF or Explorer programs.......
    Actually I disagree with this blanket statement, and yes I know you were being facetious.

The problem lies in the trend that everyone's opinion is important, no matter how simple minded or uneducated it may be. The youth of today are being fed this empowerment crap that makes them believe that they have the rights of an adult even though they have no world experience, an unfinished education and no work experience.

We do them a severe diservice when we allow this to happen. When they enter the real world all hell breaks loose because a guy who has been on any job for a period of time doesn't give a damn what some 15-18 year old kid thinks about them or how they do their job. It can get real ugly real quick and I have seen it. Not in the fire house but other jobs...

Is popcorn going to be enough for this topic or do we order pizzas too?

FyredUp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nosrednanoraa View Post
    Good choice. A dictionary and a good education can do wonders too.

I agree totally--but do you not think "Dictionary" and "Education" are far too advanced for our younger personnel?

Not only that ,they are very long words
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"

Forum Member

The problem lies in the trend that everyone's opinion is important, no matter how simple minded or uneducated it may be. The youth of today are being fed this empowerment crap that makes them believe that they have the rights of an adult even though they have no world experience, an unfinished education and no work experience.
    Everyone's opinion is important, though... the only thing is that some people's opinions are more important. To wit, their importance is directly related to how much it agrees with my opinion. In other words, the more it agrees with me, the more important it is.

In all seriousness, though...the problem isn't the importance of opinion, but rather the fact that everyone has one about everything, regardless of how little they may know about the subject. People just don't know when to STFU, sit down, and learn from someone who's actually "Been There, Done That" (hereafter referred to as BTDT) and knows of what they speak.
    How can we ever take ourselves seriously when we put the intellect of a middle-schooler on a level with a PhD?? Sadly, that seems to be what's happening these days...

Is popcorn going to be enough for this topic or do we order pizzas too?

FyredUp
    Hell, you could probably open a pizzeria around here. Honestly, all the BS around here makes this site kinda like a huge, nasty crash (pick your vehicle: plane, train, automobiles, doesn't matter)....you know it's horrible, but you just can't stop looking.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nstewart33 View Post
    I think nothing. i have no brain and i am the dumbest person alive thanks.
    Last edited by afrexplorer1; 07-29-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Forum Member

Red face

i agree! not to mention all the threads get screwwed up because one person will say a stupid comment and the thread goes to some completely stupid subject.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post
    Personally i think firefighters should drink look at the sh%$ they put up with.
    we have this bell chair thing in asheville and last night wen we got off i needed one but could not have one. but what I'm saying is they go through a lot of $#!^. and volleys have jobs they have to support there family's you have no family to support yet and you can go to these things they go to structure fires because you need help at a structure fire. fire alarms no if there is no fire you gust have to turn the alarm off. they cant just up and leave work for that. well that's just what i think.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have this bell chair thing in asheville and last night wen we got off i needed one but could not have one. but what I'm saying is they go through a lot of $#!^. and volleys have jobs they have to support there family's you have no family to support yet and you can go to these things they go to structure fires because you need help at a structure fire. fire alarms no if there is no fire you gust have to turn the alarm off. they cant just up and leave work for that. well that's just what i think.

Can you explain it a little more clearly.

T.J.

Forum Member

Wow!! I haven't got a single clue what this is saying...

FyredUp

Forum Member

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post
    Checklist

Proceed --but no s******ing in the cheap seats
    Anybody care to join me in a money making venture selling "Spell check/Grammar unravelling booklets" ?

Told ya so!!

Thread Information