Forum Member

Default need help locating parts for a 1947 Pirsch

My name is Chris Johnsen. I work at Hornlake Fire in Hornlake MS just south of Memphis TN. I am in the process of helping our BC restore an old 49 Pirsch and am having trouble locating a supplier for parts and any other help they might have. Any info. would be a big help. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    My name is Chris Johnsen. I work at Hornlake Fire in Hornlake MS just south of Memphis TN. I am in the process of helping our BC restore an old 49 Pirsch and am having trouble locating a supplier for parts and any other help they might have. Any info. would be a big help. Thanks
    That begs the obvious question, what do you need? You won't get everything from one source, different people have different stuff. Some stuff you may have to make by hand, just like the original was. The next question is what kind of budget are you working with, and how much time do you want to put into it?

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Default I second the chiefengineer's statement!

More info needed. What specifically are you looking for, and specifications would be helpful.

-Engine make/model? If it's a 49 Pirsch I am gonna take a SWAG and say it's either a 140 or a 145GZ Waukesha. Waukesha is still in business, owned and operated by the Dresser Corporation. Although they no longer make parts for these model engines, some of their distributors still have parts in stock. I know for a fact that Jobbers Warehouse, Inc. in Philadelphia, Pa. has an 817G (145GZ) short block assembly in stock, still in the cosmoline paper!
    http://www.waukeshaengine.dresser.com/

-Transmission Make/Model? Clutch Make/Model/Size?

-Pump Make/Model?????

-If you need help with brakes/master or wheel cylinders/shoes & drums or HydraVac parts, give Trenton Brakes (Trenton, NJ) a call. They specialize in older brake parts. They will ship in the US with a credit card number. Very reasonable, very knowledgeable, very friendly people. Shipped me a rebuild kit for my Clutch Slave Cylinder (a '50's Ford Master Cylinder) with a stainless steel sleeve with a lifetime warranty!

SPAAMFAA is an extremely valuable resource for parts/vendors/services. I highly reccomend your BC (and yourself if you are heavily involved) join up with the rest of us Antique Apparatus Motorheads/Greasemonkeys.

Also, check Yahoo! Groups for a Pirsch group- there are many Antique Apparatus discussion groups in Yahoo! but I dont know specifically if there is one for Pirsch.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-29-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

One other thing to add on to my comments about Waukesha- I called out there to the engineering department a few years ago to inquire if I should be putting a lead additive in my fuel (due to no lead, wanted to know if I needed it for valve seat issues.) Spoke with an older, very knowledgeable engineer for the better part of an hour. At one point he asked about the serial number- I gave it to him (and after I could hear him tapping keys on a computer keyboard) and within 10 minutes I had a scanned image emailed to me of my specific engine's build/pick sheets which included the dates of manufacture, all specs including timing settings, and all major part numbers & manufacturers (carb, distributor, etc.!!!!) Wauky has digitalized all of their paperwork from microfiche. Anyone who needs info on their Wauky can call them (with serial number in hand of course) and get some real valuable info!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information