Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Questions from a non-FF

These might seem silly because, well, they probably are. But they're things I'd like some info on. Thanks!

1.) Concerning grants. I understand that the gov't gives money to rescue personnel. What I don't understand are the "rounds". What does it mean by like "round 1" and so on?

2.) Jakes. Any history behind ff's being called this? And what exactly is the IAOCJ?

3.) Crusty. I know this applies to the helmet. And I am assuming the "crustier" the helmet, the more pride one has, particularly because it shows length of time in the service. Or at least that you've been through it a lot. Was I right about all that?

4.) Any difference between turnout gear and bunker gear? Same thing?

5.) Leather. Is that the dept. patch like thingy on the front of your helmet? If so, do you have to order those yourself or are they dept. issued?

That's all for now. I've been curious about some of these and thought might as well ask while I have the time.

I'm also trying to humor myself because they just had to call the paramedics to take my grandma to the hospital. Her blood sugar level bottomed out. While the glucose gel I gave her made it to go up, the paramedic said that was good, but after it runs through the system, it could bottom out again. (My grandma didn't eat good today...so they wanted her to go in for some observation in case it dropped again) She just picks like a bird and we tell her if you don't eat, your sugar level will drop. And it did

Quote Originally Posted by SapphyreBlues View Post
    These might seem silly because, well, they probably are. But they're things I'd like some info on. Thanks!

1.) Concerning grants. I understand that the gov't gives money to rescue personnel. What I don't understand are the "rounds". What does it mean by like "round 1" and so on?

2.) Jakes. Any history behind ff's being called this? And what exactly is the IAOCJ?

3.) Crusty. I know this applies to the helmet. And I am assuming the "crustier" the helmet, the more pride one has, particularly because it shows length of time in the service. Or at least that you've been through it a lot. Was I right about all that?

4.) Any difference between turnout gear and bunker gear? Same thing?

5.) Leather. Is that the dept. patch like thingy on the front of your helmet? If so, do you have to order those yourself or are they dept. issued?

That's all for now. I've been curious about some of these and thought might as well ask while I have the time.

I'm also trying to humor myself because they just had to call the paramedics to take my grandma to the hospital. Her blood sugar level bottomed out. While the glucose gel I gave her made it to go up, the paramedic said that was good, but after it runs through the system, it could bottom out again. (My grandma didn't eat good today...so they wanted her to go in for some observation in case it dropped again) She just picks like a bird and we tell her if you don't eat, your sugar level will drop. And it did
    1. Typically they release a certain amount of fire grants per week. They call that a round... This week round one next week round 2 and so on...

2.I Dont know the history behind the origination of a "Jake" But thats a firefighter thats been in there a while.... For the question about the IACOJ go to www.IACOJ.com which means International association of crusty old jakes.

3. Ill let someone else answer that

4. No difference its all the same.

5 Leather refers what older type helmets and some todays helmets were made out of. Older Crustier FF typically prefer these helmets.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Quote Originally Posted by backdraft663 View Post
    5 Leather refers what older type helmets and some todays helmets were made out of. Older Crustier FF typically prefer these helmets.
    Alternatively, FFs who prefer tradition over functionality prefer these helmets...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thanks much for the info.

My opinion on grants...sure it's great that grants are given out to fire departments. But y'all shouldn't sit back with your fingers crossed like somebody hoping to hit the lottery. If you need something, you should get it. Period. I've noticed the, I guess, "1199" threads. The whole "did you hear anything yet" is kinda sad, really. I mean, geez. One of the most dangerous jobs out there and you pretty much have to beg to get money to run on. But that's just the way things look from here...

As for tradition and functionality, I don't care if it's leather. I don't care if it's some new age material guaranteed not to melt if the sun sat on it. There's no way I'm running into a burning building Well unless I knew someone was in there. Then it becomes a matter of, "do I wanna stay safe out here, or do I wanna at least try and save a fellow human being?"

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Alternatively, FFs who prefer tradition over functionality prefer these helmets...
    ...as do those who want to look like they're actually wearing a fire helmet and not a bowl purchased at a Tupperware party....

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    ...as do those who want to look like they're actually wearing a fire helmet and not a bowl purchased at a Tupperware party....
    Aw now that just ain't right Although, it would be interesting to use when making dip But it can't be used. It would be hard explaining the gamey smell and taste of the dip to company

Tip.

Start with flaked salmon for the dip. End up with smoked salmon.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

That just might work. And let's hope that the FF I got it from won't need it. That might just be a bad thing.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Since the main questions were answered, except maybe "Jake" - there have been references to Jacobs Ladder - I forget the exact reference now, its been a while - but there is an answer in these threads somewhere.

IN any case, I hope your Grandma is doing better. Diabetic emgerencies are maybe one of the most scary for observers, because unless you know the person and their medical history (and even when you do) its tough to know how to help. All you can do is try and convince her to eat well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

The term "Jake" came from a J-shaped key that FF's carried in New England. Prior to the advent of radios, the key was used to open alarm boxes to request additional alarms via telegraph.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

There are several anecdotal explanations for where "jake" as slang meaning "fireman" came from. The truth of it is that nobody is really sure how it originated but it did apparently come out of New England, most likely from Boston. The exact origins are anybody's guess.

Pick your favorite myth and run with it.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The firefighter assigned as the Chief's driver (back in the horse and buggy days) carried the key to open the Gamewell fire alarm boxes in the city of Boston. The key was shaped like the letter "J"... called the J -key, shortened to "Jake".

Calling firefighters "jakes" started there. A officer asking for a truckie to come in to pull a ceiling would say "get me a Jake with a rake!"

Being called "a good jake" is a compliment.

On the left coast, San Francisco Firefighters are called "jakeys".

I honor both names ... one of my cats is named Jakey Jake!

here he is lying on my newspaper, car keys and sunglasses...

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Handsome cat, Gonz. But those bananas aren't ripe yet; don't eat them.

That kitchen is scary clean....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Gonzo, hope your dog isn't like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Gonzo, hope your dog isn't like this...
    Nah.. JakeyJake thinks he's a dog... hangs out with the dogs, sleeps with them. comes for treats at the same time...

His sister, Mia, on the other hand...she's "momma girl"... being the only other female in the house, she sticks to Mrs. Gonz like glue...except for feeding time!

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thanks for a bit of history behind "jakes". As for the pics, they're adorable

And MalahatTwo7: Grandma is doing a lot better. She's eating better today. She's not had many of those episodes, but we know exactly what to look for. She's cool to the touch, sweating, and is disoriented. She acts almost like she's drunk. While I know what to do, it is scary. Because if you don't get her sugar up, she can go into a coma. Some have told me to give her a mint when she does that. That, to me, is the worst thing to do because she could get choked on it. Anyways she is doing good. Thanks for asking

There you Gonz, showing off your pussy to God and everyone!!

You got a big one too. Looks like it really gives a sh*t if he is laying on your stuff or not.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

....you didn't just say that....

ummm...lets see "IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine" give you hint? Firefighters have possibly the sickest twisted sense of morbid, sick and just plain WRONG humor ever, but then what we see on a daily basis can make most peolpe sick faster than a fire captian downing a double cheesebuger at a MVA, 18wheeler v:s motercycle, Firefighters ESPECILEY wemon FF's are realy perverted!

Thread Information