Thread: Need Some Help

Forum Member

Default Need Some Help

I have been an Explorer for two(coming up on three) years and I was voted as Chief a few months ago and we also got a new Asst. Chief. The Asst. Chief Explorer and one of our full-time firefighters have been making what I would call prank calls on my cell phone. The things they call about have nothing to do with the Department or the Explorer post. They have done this two times already and I have told the Asst. Chief Explorer to stop but I don't think he listened and I think they will do it again. Should I handle this on my own or should I bring this to a Department head?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by whfdExplorer View Post
    I have been an Explorer for two(coming up on three) years and I was voted as Chief a few months ago and we also got a new Asst. Chief. The Asst. Chief Explorer and one of our full-time firefighters have been making what I would call prank calls on my cell phone. The things they call about have nothing to do with the Department or the Explorer post. They have done this two times already and I have told the Asst. Chief Explorer to stop but I don't think he listened and I think they will do it again. Should I handle this on my own or should I bring this to a Department head?
    Depends on the type of calls you are receiving up to this point. If they do continue take it to the FF or officer in charge of the Explorer program. Keep it between you and the parties involved. Do not bring in other members (unless involved) and start a big ****ing contest.

T.J.

Forum Member

Just what kind of calls are you talking about. Like harassing you or just being idiots and joking around???

Do you have caller ID on your cell phone? If you do, a simple bit of advice would be Don't pick it up!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Just what kind of calls are you talking about. Like harassing you or just being idiots and joking around???

Do you have caller ID on your cell phone? If you do, a simple bit of advice would be Don't pick it up!
    The first call they wanted to know if I was "on duty" the day the called.The second time they wanted to know if I was respondsible for one of our Explorers losing their job. I am calling these prank calls because they are wasting my cell phone minutes every time they call.Also, the calls come for the Department's land phone so I don't know if it is them or it is someone else trying to call me.

Calling from the departments land line makes this a little worse, I would say since this is happening from a department phone, that if your post uses them issue fines, starting at $1 that have to be paid with the dues each month. (You cant fine the FF, because he is not a member of your post though.) If it persists warn of a suspension and issue one if necessary.

Of coarse you could also get their cell phone numbers and call them at 2 am

Or just hang up when you know its them, thus taking the fun out of a prank call.

Forum Member

The first call they wanted to know if I was "on duty" the day the called.The second time they wanted to know if I was respondsible for one of our Explorers losing their job. I am calling these prank calls because they are wasting my cell phone minutes every time they call.Also, the calls come for the Department's land phone so I don't know if it is them or it is someone else trying to call me.
    Well the first call I don't know if I would consider that a prank, unless of course they knew you were or were not on duty. The second I'm not sure of either. Obviously they were concerned about their fellow member being released. When I think of prank calls I'd think of you pick up and someone says you stink or whatever. Thats a prank. I know it's a ****** off, but I guess just deal with it for now. If it keeps happening then I'd start to do something about it. As jack said obviously you can't do much as far as the FF goes(except maybe talk to the Chief or Captain), but the Junior you can. Don't go too crazy on him but let him know this behaviour will not be tolerated.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Well the first call I don't know if I would consider that a prank, unless of course they knew you were or were not on duty. The second I'm not sure of either. Obviously they were concerned about their fellow member being released. When I think of prank calls I'd think of you pick up and someone says you stink or whatever. Thats a prank. I know it's a ****** off, but I guess just deal with it for now. If it keeps happening then I'd start to do something about it. As jack said obviously you can't do much as far as the FF goes(except maybe talk to the Chief or Captain), but the Junior you can. Don't go too crazy on him but let him know this behaviour will not be tolerated.
    The Explorer was not released as far as i know(he does not come to the hall much). Another reason why I call these pranks is because they think it is funny(sorry I forgot to say this before).Also, the Asst. Chief thinks he has the same authority as me so he will not listen to a word I say.I just got done talking to the Asst. Chief. I told him not to do it again but I don't think he listened to me.

Forum Member

The Explorer was not released as far as i know(he does not come to the hall much). Another reason why I call these pranks is because they think it is funny(sorry I forgot to say this before).Also, the Asst. Chief thinks he has the same authority as me so he will not listen to a word I say.I just got done talking to the Asst. Chief. I told him not to do it again but I don't think he listened to me.
    Ok sorry I thought you meant he was released when you said lost his job. My bad. Well if they are doing it just for fun then yeah I'd more than likely consider it a prank.

The last part however I have a bit of a problem with. You talking about the authority and such. Not to sound like an ********* my friend but your the Chief of an Explorer post. You do not run their lives. You have some say in what happens at your training sessions or what have you, but outside of that quite frankly you have squat. If this guy is not going to listen he will not listen no matter what you say to him.

See if it dwindles down a bit, as these stupid jokes usually tend too, and if it doesn't go talk to someone like your advisor.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 07-30-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

Ok sorry I thought you meant he was released when you said lost his job. My bad. Well if they are doing it just for fun then yeah I'd more than likely consider it a prank.

The last part however I have a bit of a problem with. You talking about the authority and such. Not to an ********* my friend but your the Chief of an Explorer post. You do not run their lives. You have some say in what happens at your training sessions or what have you, but outside of that quite frankly you have squat. If this guy is not going to listen he will not listen no matter what you say to him.

See if it dwindles down a bit, as these stupid jokes usually tend too, and if it doesn't go talk to someone like your advisor.
    I hope I sound like a ********* but I know I do not run their lives.When he doesn't listen to me is when we are having meetings, training, cleaning the Fire Hall, and when the Post helps our city with events(that is just a few things, there are more).

Forum Member

I hope I sound like a ********* but I know I do not run their lives.When he doesn't listen to me is when we are having meetings, training, cleaning the Fire Hall, and when the Post helps our city with events(that is just a few things, there are more).
    Well those are things you can control. Other things frankly you can't.

As for the ********* thing, that wasn't directed at you. I was meaning to say, and since fixed, I don't mean to sound like an *********. I was not calling you one.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 07-30-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

Well those are things you can control. Other things frankly you can't.

As for the ********* thing, that wasn't directed at you. I was meaning to say, and since fixed, I don't mean to sound like an *********. I was not calling you one.
    OK, I thought you were posting about about me being a *********. Sorry I misunderstood your post.

Thank you everyone for posting on this thread.

Forum Member

OK, I thought you were posting about about me being a *********. Sorry I misunderstood your post.
    No need to be sorry. After I re-read my post and saw the mistake, I can see how you would have thought I meant you. My bad.

Ryan

Forum Member

No need to be sorry. After I re-read my post and saw the mistake, I can see how you would have thought I meant you. My bad.
    It's O.K. ndvfdff33, I make mistakes typing all the time.

I want to thank everyone again for posting on this thread. You guys gave me some great advice on how to handle this problem I have.

I have decided I will wait for the Explorer and Firefighter to call again and I will asked them both not to do it again.If they call after I asked them not to, I will go to the Post Adviser and the Fire Chief(Post Adviser to deal with the Explorer and the Chief to deal with the Firefighter).

Thread Information