MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pre-paint - How Many to send?

We have on order (production date due this week) a new Pumper/Tanker. Based on the production date we will schedule our pre-paint inspection. I am planning on send 3 people total. Of course my township admin. is starting to give me crap, they think 1 person can do the job. My question is how many people do you send out for pre-paint? What would you consider optimal?

Permanently Removed

Send a minimum of two, 3 would be better. Make sure one of them is a real, bonified, grease under the nails mechanic. TL

MembersZone Subscriber

We sent three on our pre-paint for our pumper-tanker. I'm glad we did! Each one caught something another didn't. If one goes and doesn't catch something wrong until it's delivered, it's going to be a pain to get it fixed compared to if it's caught at pre-paint.

Forum Member

One set of eyes,one picture. Three sets of eyes,whole picture. Savvy? We did four on ours and I'm damn glad we did.All problems present and accounted for.And fixed. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

At least 3 and it's the best money you spent.
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

MembersZone Subscriber

After going to 4 inspections in the past two years (2 pre-paint and 2 final) I am a firm believer in at least 3 or 4 members of the committee that specced the truck going to inspect it. Everyone will have different things they want to make sure are correct, different ideas, different points of view, etc.

I would be sure to take at least one guy who is knowledgable in the wrench-turning department and at least one who is an experienced apparatus operator.

If you're spending $200-K or more for a truck, it's worth another $1000 to send 2 or 3 more people out there.

Forum Member

I believe that 3 should be the max. The chief, an EVT and another member of the committee. Different ideas, opinions and points of view are needed during spec writing and at the prebuild conference, but not during the construction phase of the vehicle.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

I know of a company that sent 9. 2 of them actually had a clue as to what they were supposed to be doing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    I believe that 3 should be the max. The chief, an EVT and another member of the committee. Different ideas, opinions and points of view are needed during spec writing and at the prebuild conference, but not during the construction phase of the vehicle.
    Firepiper,

3-5 is what I prefer. Any more then 5 and you have to many people any less then 3 is not enough, and things may get missed. I agree with SSI that one should be a mechanic. I also think the "head" of the committee should also be there.

Forum Member

I think three (3) is a good number. If you have more then truck you are looking maybe a forth person might be helpful. If you are looking at your departments first ever aerial truck, then again maybe a forth person or add a second day to the trip.

On the other hand how many people is too many? My department took delivery of two new pumpers in the spring and three of us (the chief and two Sgt's) went for the final inspection. There was another department at the factory as well picking up their truck too. There had to be almost ten (10) guys there. I watched them debate for almost an hour on changing something in one of the compartments. Too any cooks spoiling the soup if you ask me.

Forum Member

I would hate to be the guy that did the inspection by myself. If you don't catch something, who do you think is going to take the heat from everyone, including the Township. I think a min. of 3 is fine for a basic rig. However, a more speacialized peice would require more. Members of the truck committee and a mechanic should be on the trip.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

Forum Member

Just to mirror other comments......you should have at least 3 people. Make sure that one is an authorized decision maker, one that is a true grease monkey and an experienced apparatus operator. Each will have different prospectives and look at different things. Also, nothing slows up the process like having to report back to the station to get permission to make changes. So having a decision maker present can make that go alot faster.

Troy
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

I suggest that you need people of various talents to send on the different trips. For example, people who know the specs inside out, actually operate the truck, and are detail-oriented need to attend the the pre-con meeting. Send the people with the mechanical minds to the pre-paint; and send your most meticulous, patient, people with good negotiating skills to the final inspection.

Assuming your committee is comprised of such a variety of talent . That would be in a perfect world, huh?

Thread Information