Thread: Cisd

Forum Member

Default Cisd

critical incident stress debriefing:who organizes it in your fire departments?

i'm going to explain better(sorry for my bad english):after a very hard call,at the station,there is a CISD.the officers organize this debriefing and if the fire chief is around,he takes part in the conversation.

each firefighter can say what he/she feels and give his/her impressions about the call.

do you do the same thing?

my relatives are volunteer in a small station=36 firefighters.but for bigger station,in France, you can meet a psychologist.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

The last few times we have needed them, our local rescue squad called them in. Then they invited us to sit in...

Sometimes it's just a group of the guys sitting around and just talking about it...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

One of our Chiefs or Captains are incharge of setting up CISD.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Post Cisd

In my county, we have a Critial Incident Stress Management Team (CISM).
    It is made up of vol. FF's, EMT's from the two vol. amb. corps in our county and mental health professionals from the nearest hospital in a neighboring county. All the people have gone through extra training and have annual refreshers.
    Our county's preference is that a CISD is usually done with in 24 - 48 hours after the incident. It is voluntary and done in small groups at your own station, even if it was a multi-department incident. That keeps the numbers small in the group. Should any one need any assitance above this, it is offered to every one on a voluntary basis and there is no time limit for when you have to ask for help.
    These are not to be confused with the post-incident debreifing and post-incident critique. These are learning tools to review what went right and what you can improve upon for the next incident. They should never be used as finger pointing or fault fiinding sessions. Those do no one any good.
    I hope this helps you mon personne pompier.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    It is made up of vol. FF's, EMT's from the two vol. amb. corps in our county and mental health professionals from the nearest hospital in a neighboring county. All the people have gone through extra training and have annual refreshers.
    Our county's preference is that a CISD is usually done with in 24 - 48 hours after the incident. It is voluntary and done in small groups at your own station, even if it was a multi-department incident. That keeps the numbers small in the group. Should any one need any assitance above this, it is offered to every one on a voluntary basis and there is no time limit for when you have to ask for help.
    These are not to be confused with the post-incident debreifing and post-incident critique. These are learning tools to review what went right and what you can improve upon for the next incident. They should never be used as finger pointing or fault fiinding sessions. Those do no one any good.
    yes your reply helps to understand how you deal with cisd in the states.and you speak french too,a little bit,great.

thanks for the details you explained.
    Last edited by frenchfireball; 07-31-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    Very similar to our set up. Our Provincial Emergency Act states that the department must have OG's for CISM. We run local and a Provincial systems that is under the mandate of the Officer of the Fire Commissioner.

Thread Information