Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Default thanks

Thanks for the help it will clear a few things up

randsc. SA is a place south Australia and yakka is a plant

FIREGIRL4EVER: Up in the hills 10 min from Adelaide.

Forum Member

Volunteer: In the truest sense of the word these firefighters receive no compensation at all for anything including responses or training.

I hope this helped and yes I fully expect to get told I am entirely wrong.

FyredUp

Not exactly, but I don't fit into any of these categories so can you create a new one for volunteers who are compensated for training? I did get my EMT-Basic on my own, paid in full, but further training comes from tax levies and I see a better trained volunteer as a better volunteer. But the nuance is I feel I am a volunteer in the truest sense of the word. Why is volunteer not to include any training???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by msgogeke View Post
    Not exactly, but I don't fit into any of these categories so can you create a new one for volunteers who are compensated for training? I did get my EMT-Basic on my own, paid in full, but further training comes from tax levies and I see a better trained volunteer as a better volunteer. But the nuance is I feel I am a volunteer in the truest sense of the word. Why is volunteer not to include any training???
    I think he means that you don't get paid for attending training, not that your training tuition isn't paid for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Definition of volunteer firefighter...varies widely between what the official definition is and what the perception is.

Perception is that if you don't have full time people you are a volunteer fire department.

Reality is there is paid full timers, paid part-timers, paid on call and volunteer.

Full timers: Career firefighters whose primary job is as a firefighter working full time for a fire department from 40 to 72 hours a week.

Part-timers: May be hired from the ranks of volunteers or POC firefighters to fill shifts as needed on a career FD or run partial shifts to staff a firehouse during peek hours.

Paid on call: Paid for responses and perhaps trainings and maintenance activities. Pay may vary widely from a couple dollars a call all the way up to over $20 an hour.

Volunteer: In the truest sense of the word these firefighters receive no compensation at all for anything including responses or training.

FyredUp
    We have the same here exept POC and volunteer fall under the same category "volunteer", in the sense that you don't "have" to answer to a call... A volunteer can not be blamed for not responding to a call, what ever his reason is... But, 99% of our "volunteer" FDs are paid on call...

Forum Member
    East of the Pecos...South of North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Definition of volunteer firefighter...varies widely between what the official definition is and what the perception is.

Perception is that if you don't have full time people you are a volunteer fire department.

Reality is there is paid full timers, paid part-timers, paid on call and volunteer.

Full timers: Career firefighters whose primary job is as a firefighter working full time for a fire department from 40 to 72 hours a week.

Part-timers: May be hired from the ranks of volunteers or POC firefighters to fill shifts as needed on a career FD or run partial shifts to staff a firehouse during peek hours.

Paid on call: Paid for responses and perhaps trainings and maintenance activities. Pay may vary widely from a couple dollars a call all the way up to over $20 an hour.

FyredUp

Yep. Pretty much on the money. However, these days with formal training instead of being raised by the senior guard I think you can have your training paid for,(not to you) and still be pure volunteer. Though I volunteer for my community I am paid per call. So I am not a true volunteer. Got noooo problem with that.I think a completely non compensated department deserves the true volunteer status. Which ever label I perform the task at hand as a professionally trained fireman regardless of payment.
    The question could be; would you be a fireman if you could not have the status you prefer?

Thread Information