Forum Member

Default Question about Pike Poles???

When looking at a pike pole on the metal sharp end. Some have these bumps on the sides or a few that I have seen have a hole drilled in them. Can some on please explain what these are for? I have asked around and nobody seem to know. Maybe there is no reason for them I don't know just wondering. Thanks in advanced

If I am understanding you correctly you mean the bottom (handle) has either holes in it or bumps. It could be a way to attach an extension by fitting the bumps into the pole, something like this... http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/hooksystem.html

^ I have never actually held one of these so I don't know how they connect.

just a random guess

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RBohan2 View Post
    When looking at a pike pole on the metal sharp end. Some have these bumps on the sides or a few that I have seen have a hole drilled in them. Can some on please explain what these are for? I have asked around and nobody seem to know. Maybe there is no reason for them I don't know just wondering. Thanks in advanced
    Are they left over from the manufacturing process? I assume you are talking about this bump??

Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 08-03-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is on the handle the notches on the end let you know what way the hook is pointed. I have no idea about the hole unless you put a lanyard through it?
    Some hooks I have seen have notches on the back of the head to better cut through lath and plaster.
    Are these modifications or did the hooks come with them?

MembersZone Subscriber

In the picture the bump is from the casting, it has no function other then that is how metal got into the cast.

MembersZone Subscriber

The bumps on the side of the pike head keep the pole from sliding out of a fork-and-ring mount on the truck. I'm sure there's an offical name for that type of mount, but I have no idea what it is.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

IACOJ BOD

RBohan2

This is the most important question you have regarding working as a Fire Person? (P.C. has gone shtupid for a minute)

Get a life.

Do you understand which one is the tool? Have you been shown how to use it, have you seen it demonstrated, have you used the tool (I am not talking about a warm horse here) yourself?

You seem obsessed with a wee dimple or hole in a hunk of metal. Do you feel this is relevant to your existance?

Will it make a major impact?

Does it cause you concern to use the hunk of gobbing metal, or would you like the bigger shinnier version from X?

The confusion will continue unabated until people are removed from comities. Kiwi 2007.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Thumbs down thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    RBohan2

This is the most important question you have regarding working as a Fire Person? (P.C. has gone shtupid for a minute)

Get a life.

Do you understand which one is the tool? Have you been shown how to use it, have you seen it demonstrated, have you used the tool (I am not talking about a warm horse here) yourself?

You seem obsessed with a wee dimple or hole in a hunk of metal. Do you feel this is relevant to your existance?

Will it make a major impact?

Does it cause you concern to use the hunk of gobbing metal, or would you like the bigger shinnier version from X?

The confusion will continue unabated until people are removed from comities. Kiwi 2007.

give him a break kiwi, it was a valid question, and i think he got some good answers. You don't always have to be so negative

Forum Member

Maybe they are for added pleasure when RBohan2 jams it up Kiwis butt.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Kiwi

Kiwi-

Come on!!!

I didn't know what the dimple was for either (not that I cared). I also agree that are are more pressing issues out there... BUT...

If someone is taking the time to try to improve themselves, we should try to help them. I've seen guys treat their probies like that and then complain that the probie doesn't know anything. We don't want to scare people away from seeking help.
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk View Post
    The bumps on the side of the pike head keep the pole from sliding out of a fork-and-ring mount on the truck. I'm sure there's an offical name for that type of mount, but I have no idea what it is.
    I'll second that....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Alright...you guys are going to think I am crazy. The hook in the picture is a what we today refer to as a National Pike Pole. The most common head design found in the United States. Why? Because too many people specing the equipment we use, do not do research and/or are very inexperienced and/or too lazy and allow some salesman who more times than not are also very inexperienced themselves.

It's design dates back to the 14th century where it was used on ships. The "knobs" where intended to prevent the head from being driven too far into a material. However, as most of us know they function very poorly at there intended purpose. In fact the entire pike pole design functions poorly for most fireground operations. Today there are far superior designs on the market that work much better without as much effort in the hands of a SKILLED user.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Why is this screen so huge?

2. This is a far better tool than the pike pole:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Uh, Yeah..............

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post

BING BING! We have a winner.

Actually, we have a bunch of winners.
    The metal bumps are to prevent the hook from sliding forward in the mounting bracket on the Apparatus.

Oh Yeah, we also have some Whiners, along with the Winners......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Kiwi I was just wondering. There are more pressing issues out there but this happened to be a question I had just a question I thought that my brothers out there would help me out. They did! All except you, If you dont ask the little questions then how do you prepare to answer the big ones.

Forum Member

Oh ya thanks to those who replied to my small but "insignificant" question.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is still an unanswered question in this thread and I am interested in the answer...why is this screen so wide? I have had this maybe 2 or 3 other times.

Banned

1. The screen is so big because of the image posted in post #3. It's a jpg image at 2500 x 2000. Most screens are set for 1024 x 768.

2. What is that thing called?
    Last edited by HotTrotter; 08-05-2007 at 04:51 AM.

Forum Member

is in the pic a hook? what is the main difference between hook and pike pole?the size or the use?
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    1. The screen is so big because of the image posted in post #3. It's a jpg image at 2500 x 2000. Most screens are set for 1024 x 768.

2. What is that thing called?

The hook is a new york roof hook, id call the little dimples on the pike dickfers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well................

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    is in the pic a hook? what is the main difference between hook and pike pole?the size or the use?
    I Think the main difference is the attitude of the Truckie.......

LOOK!! I got the post size back to Normal.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I Think the main difference is the attitude of the Truckie.......

LOOK!! I got the post size back to Normal.........

ok so same tool but depends on where you are(city,state) and who uses it.in FDNY they will call that hook for example and in another state,it could be call pike pole.?finally i got what you meant?

ps;if i'm totally wrong,do not kill me,not right now,lol.joke.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    ok so same tool but depends on where you are(city,state) and who uses it.in FDNY they will call that hook for example and in another state,it could be call pike pole.?finally i got what you meant?

ps;if i'm totally wrong,do not kill me,not right now,lol.joke.
    Eh. Not really the same tool as an improvement on the concept. Yes it is called the New York roof hook.

The hook gives you capabilities that the pike pole does not possess. The curve at the bottom of the hook is good for getting a bite and lifting roof scuttle covers.

The hooks at the top gives for more punching/pushing power than the single "spear" on the pike pole. When pulling ceilings, the wider coverage of the hook equals greater ceiling pulled. That in turns equals less work.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Wink

Eh. Not really the same tool as an improvement on the concept. Yes it is called the New York roof hook.

The hook gives you capabilities that the pike pole does not possess. The curve at the bottom of the hook is good for getting a bite and lifting roof scuttle covers.

The hooks at the top gives for more punching/pushing power than the single "spear" on the pike pole. When pulling ceilings, the wider coverage of the hook equals greater ceiling pulled. That in turns equals less work.
    thank you so much for your reply and the many explanations you gave.it helps me to understand better.the roof hook will be a great tool for the roof men.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Forum Member

I prefer the rubbish hook (aka trash hook, vent hook) with a D handle developed by the LAFD.

Thread Information